Nickel and dime before 1st cruise starts

I understand this is quite upsetting. The cruise line has certain conditions of sale on all options, including drink packages. In order to avoid any negative feelings and receive the best and most certain value for your money, you best option is to cancel the booking.

Since OP is leaving in little more than two weeks, if the booking is cancelled it will cost a lot more than nickels and dimes don’t you think?

You are painting a picture of someone spending a week in a Morrocan bazaar. That certainly has not been my experience and I cruise quite frequently.

I stand by my answer. For someone who has never cruised, yes it can feel like a week long sales pitch. I am not describing a Morrocan bazaar, as I also mentioned that a simple "no" will usually get them to stop the sell.

We have found that the drink package isn't really a very good deal. By the 3rd day we are over it and now have wasted money. No way we can drink that much all week. Of course I am sure that there are lots of people that can and there's nothing wrong with that but your room mate might save money and you too if he/she just opts to pay for the drinks. Unless they can drink 10-15 drinks a day everyday. Just my own opinion so please take it only as that.

We've cruised Oasis and Allure several times and the only time we were given the "hard sell" was in Samba. They were annoying and interrupted our dinner three times to sell us wine or a wine decanter. Like another poster stated, we stay away from the Promenade deck when they are selling watches, purses, etc. It's a madhouse down there and there are no real bargains. We've never had anyone hawking products or services to us anywhere else on the ship. OP, you can spend as much as you want on board or as little as you want. On a recent cruise, we had a zero balance the last night because there simply wasn't anything for us to spend extra money on, but we had a fantastic cruise. Relax and enjoy your cruise!

We have found that the drink package isn't really a very good deal. By the 3rd day we are over it and now have wasted money. No way we can drink that much all week. Of course I am sure that there are lots of people that can and there's nothing wrong with that but your room mate might save money and you too if he/she just opts to pay for the drinks. Unless they can drink 10-15 drinks a day everyday. Just my own opinion so please take it only as that.

I am quite confused as to how many people find the drink package not worth it? For our cruise on the Allure it was $45 a day PP, drinks average between $12-$15 each. It only takes 3 and no more than 4 drinks in the entire day to make it worth it. I can easily do a drink with lunch, another in the afternoon, a couple with dinner and perhaps one later in the evening. That doesn't even take into account if I did want a soda or anything else that could be ordered. I don't drink beer or wine, just cocktails. I have easily had 8 or 9 on a cruise within a 12 hour period without ever being drunk.

However no one is forcing the OP to buy the package nor their cabin mate. If the cabin mate wants the package that badly then let them pay for the refreshment package too. They can add the cost together, see what they feel they might order daily and see if they think the price is still a good deal.

The OP stated that the soda package is already included with their balcony room. I'm assuming they booked one of those rooms that have that perk (boardwalk perhaps?).

I would have no issue with paying for the Refreshment package for my roomie to get the Deluxe if I couldn't drink alcohol, but the room fare already comes with that package. I wouldn't agree with having to pay for it again since I'm technically paying for it in my cruise fare for that room.

Do they let people pay the difference to upgrade from this perk to the Deluxe package? If so in that case they're putting a dollar value on the package for the passenger who wants to upgrade. That figure should also be used towards the required purchase of the Refreshment package for the passenger with the medical condition for not drinking which would make it cancel out to $0 anyways.

The OP stated that the soda package is already included with their balcony room. I'm assuming they booked one of those rooms that have that perk (boardwalk perhaps?).

I would have no issue with paying for the Refreshment package for my roomie to get the Deluxe if I couldn't drink alcohol, but the room fare already comes with that package. I wouldn't agree with having to pay for it again since I'm technically paying for it in my cruise fare for that room.

Do they let people pay the difference to upgrade from this perk to the Deluxe package? If so in that case they're putting a dollar value on the package for the passenger who wants to upgrade. That figure should also be used towards the required purchase of the Refreshment package for the passenger with the medical condition for not drinking which would make it cancel out to $0 anyways.

Soda package and refreshment package are different.

When you say 'waive' the drinks package, I presume you mean that your sailing companion still wants to get it?

New rules were brought in due to package sharing requiring everyone in the cabin to get a drinks package. There are exceptions to this though where one person can get an alcohol package and the other get the non-alcohol package. I haven't heard of any case where only one person has been allowed to purchase the package since the new rules have been brought in.

It's not nickel & diming as no one is forcing you to purchase a package in the first place

When did the new rules start? I was able to purchase a refreshment package for just me. My Husband and Children did not purchase a package. My cruise is in Dec.

When did the new rules start? I was able to purchase a refreshment package for just me. My Husband and Children did not purchase a package. My cruise is in Dec.

This requirement only applies to the Deluxe Beverage Package (i.e., the alcohol package). All guests above age 21 in the stateroom must purchase the package if one chooses to. The Refreshment or Soda packages do not require everyone in the room to purchase.

It only takes 3 and no more than 4 drinks in the entire day to make it worth it. I can easily do a drink with lunch, another in the afternoon, a couple with dinner and perhaps one later in the evening.

I can do that for a day or two, but by day 3 or 4 I'm ready for a break.

I've found the punch cards you can usually get on day 3 or 4 (of a 7-day) to be more valuable because it doesn't put me under pressure to "get my money's worth" by drinking more than I might want every day.

I am quite confused as to how many people find the drink package not worth it? For our cruise on the Allure it was $45 a day PP, drinks average between $12-$15 each. It only takes 3 and no more than 4 drinks in the entire day to make it worth it. I can easily do a drink with lunch, another in the afternoon, a couple with dinner and perhaps one later in the evening. That doesn't even take into account if I did want a soda or anything else that could be ordered. I don't drink beer or wine, just cocktails. I have easily had 8 or 9 on a cruise within a 12 hour period without ever being drunk.

My problem is Port days, on a sea day your math scenario works for me, but on a port day when I may only be on the ship for 4 hours between morning and bed, then I start not breaking even.

Royal does not waive the requirement for both people in the cabin to purchase the deluxe drink package regardless of what your medical situation is or what doctor signed a note. What they will do is allow the second person to purchase a refreshment package that includes all non alcoholic drinks which is different than the soda package that comes with your room.

Sorry but you will not get anywhere trying to get around this.

Most likely your best option is to just pay as you go for drinks.

I wasn’t trying to get the requirement waived for my husband, just for myself and I was successful in doing so this afternoon. His package is paid for and I didn’t have to purchase a package at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Buying only the deluxe package by itself with a reason only lasted a few weeks after the new requirement was implemented. You are now required to also purchase the refreshment package if the second person does not want the deluxe. This is also enforced on board.

I submitted my note and didn’t have to purchase a drink package. Everything was settled this afternoon.

You don’t need to purchase any drink package - unless your cabin mate does. Then you must. Quite simple rule actually but certainly not nickel and diming. Your terminology is totally wrong.

Funny you say my terminology is wrong when your facts are wrong.

Best sales pitch advice I can give to a new cruiser is: Whatever they're selling on tables in the middle of the promenade deck is, at best, worth what they're selling it to you for. That $1200 watch they're selling you for only $99? Yeah, you can get it for $99 on Amazon all day long.

Every at-sea day there will be a whole raft of "sales" like that on the promenade. This is good news for you - since you're not interested in sales pitches you can do what I do, and go to the pool, which isn't all that crowded because of all the people down on the promenade scrambling over trinkets.

If you're looking for a non-aquatic place to sit and get away from sales pitches, I don't recall ever being approached while in Central Park. Grab a glass of wine from Vintages and enjoy the scenery and people watching.

Really, as long as you aren't on the promenade deck you won't see a whole lot of "buy this!" stuff. You may be approached while eating for things like specialty dining or kitchen tours, but as soon as you say no they go away.

The high-pressure stuff comes from places like the flea market at Labadee, and that's very easy to avoid since you have to actively seek it out.

Thank you, this was helpful advice!

We've cruised Oasis and Allure several times and the only time we were given the "hard sell" was in Samba. They were annoying and interrupted our dinner three times to sell us wine or a wine decanter. Like another poster stated, we stay away from the Promenade deck when they are selling watches, purses, etc. It's a madhouse down there and there are no real bargains. We've never had anyone hawking products or services to us anywhere else on the ship. OP, you can spend as much as you want on board or as little as you want. On a recent cruise, we had a zero balance the last night because there simply wasn't anything for us to spend extra money on, but we had a fantastic cruise. Relax and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for this info!

I submitted my note and didn’t have to purchase a drink package. Everything was settled this afternoon.

That’s good news.

You are the first person that I have seen post since the requirements changed that has been successful in being only able to buy the deluxe package without buying a replenish package for the other person. Many with circumstances similar to yours have posted that they had to buy the replenish package.

I stand by my answer. For someone who has never cruised, yes it can feel like a week long sales pitch. I am not describing a Morrocan bazaar, as I also mentioned that a simple "no" will usually get them to stop the sell.

I totally understood what you were saying, there are some sensitive people on this board who will defend RC til the end. I have no problem saying no to things, but depending on how persistent they are it could get annoying.

My first cruise will be on the Oasis August 19th and I’m already being nickel and dimed before setting foot onboard. Here is the situation...I have a medical letter so I can waive the drink package well 2 phone reps have tried to convince me to get the regular drink package and I’ve had to explain yet again no soft drinks and I have to avoid sugar so I wouldn’t get my monies worth. They then press on telling me I really need to purchase it even though my balcony cabin comes with a soda package that I won’t use. I’m just so annoyed that I’ve spent all this money on this vacation and they are relentless before I even step on the ship. Is there anyone to voice these concerns to at Royal? I’m getting a bad feeling about how it’s going to be once we’re on the ship. Am I being set up for a week long sales pitch?!?:confused:

Drink water?

Stop calling the phone reps' date=' if you feel you're being nickel and dimed. They won't call you. Once onboard, a simple, no thanks has also worked for me or just shaking my head. Same thing in any ports and just keep walking.[/quote']

Okay, I called to purchase my husbands drink package and had to call to get mine waived so chill Little Buddy’s Mom[emoji23]

However no one is forcing the OP to buy the package nor their cabin mate. If the cabin mate wants the package that badly then let them pay for the refreshment package too. They can add the cost together, see what they feel they might order daily and see if they think the price is still a good deal.

Completely agree with you! It’s so easy to get your money worth. I booked Allure for October and our ultimate beverage was $45/person, with gratuities it’s $51/person. Cocktails are $11-13 so a mimosa with breakfast, glass of white wine with lunch, a glass white or red wine with dinner, a Pellegrino (they normally charge $8) with dinner, and a vodka tonic while watching a show or listening to the piano at Schooner Bar....that’s a very easy day of social drinking and easily pays for itself!

Cody