How does the Diamond Plus BOGO work?

Read Post #2

Bought 2 at discount (promo), then had someone join them for dinner first and second night.

It’s not possible to Purshase the D+ BOGO online. Seems they found away around it by purchasing one online at a discount, then had a person join them for free. Instead of buying one at onboard price onboard , they bought one online pre cruise at a discount. The restaurant told them at first they could not do that.

Read the hassle they talk about over last 8 cruises. Sounds like Royal tried to explain it.

Abuse the program and it’s likely to end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two different things.

Bogo online for $40 in cruise planner.

Bogo on ship as D+.

So, if someone got away with whatever, I cannot respond to that.

Two different things.

Bogo online for $40 in cruise planner.

Bogo on ship as D+.

So, if someone got away with whatever, I cannot respond to that.

They didn’t buy BOGO online. They bought a single at a discount online. Then used it with another for second one for free.

I believe D+ BOGO applies onboard only. Why did they have the hassle onboard multiple times doing it this way??

Example. Dinner onboard $100 per person

D+ BOGO would be $100

Purshase $100 pre cruise for 20% off.

That’s $80

Then go onboard and tell them your D+ BOGO. They told then they would need to cancel that and do D+ BOGO onboard. They refused.

So they got the $100 D+ BOGO for $80.

They were told they couldn’t do it, in their own words. But persisted.

Even her husband no longer wants to do it this way???

That’s gaming the system and likely to cause the rest of us to lose the benefit.

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

They didn’t buy BOGO online. They bought a single at a discount online. Then used it with another for second one for free.

I believe D+ BOGO applies onboard only. Why did they have the hassle onboard multiple times doing it this way??

D+ BOGO would be $100

That’s $80

Then go onboard and tell them your D+ BOGO. They told then they would need to cancel that and do D+ BOGO onboard. They refused.

That’s gaming the system and likely to cause the rest of us to lose the benefit.

Ok, now that you explained what happened, I agree. There are always extenuating circumstances.

Need I say more ?

Getting late, need my beauty sleep. LOL

I am a solo D+ sailing on Allure. As a solo, with either BOGO, I would eat in a specialty restaurant on nights 1 and 2. If I buy the BOGO online it is $40. It appears that the Diamond+ BOGO would be more expensive,. Is that correct? Does anyone know what restaurants participate in either of these deals. I think I remember that the Allure only has a few restaurants where the online BOGO can be used.

Thanks!!

D+ BOGO would be $100

That’s $80

You are reading far too much into this.

I have had hassle whether I bought at a discount on line OR whether I paid full price beforehand.

I have bought At Full Price one meal for my next cruise. 2 of us will dine. Let’s see if they can cope with the BOGO benefit.

I am NOT gaming the system, the thought never even crossed my mind, and I am offended by this insinuation.

I simply like to prebuy to ensure I get the venue/time of my choice and not leave it until I am on board. There are no tables for 1 so 2 people turning up should not be a big deal.

The staff probably have targets to meet by selling meals on board,and people with prereservations don’t count, which is probably why they want you to do it on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are reading far too much into this.

I have had hassle whether I bought at a discount on line OR whether I paid full price beforehand.

I have bought At Full Price one meal for my next cruise. 2 of us will dine. Let’s see if they can cope with the BOGO benefit.

I am NOT gaming the system, the thought never even crossed my mind, and I am offended by this insinuation.

I simply like to prebuy to ensure I get the venue/time of my choice and not leave it until I am on board. There are no tables for 1 so 2 people turning up should not be a big deal.

The staff probably have targets to meet by selling meals on board,and people with prereservations don’t count, which is probably why they want you to do it on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the D+ BOGO available online or by calling Royal? If not, then it’s likely meant to do this onboard.

I thought you emphasized the discount (promo).

Why was DH uncomfortable doing it? Why do you suppose they told you that you needed to get a refund on your online booking (discounted) and book onboard at standard price for D+ BOGO.

You even mentioned it had become a hassle with Royal.

Online prices don’t always match onboard price. Typically onboard is higher.

I believe Royal would say the D+ BOGO is based on current onboard rates. Not online prices.

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

I always wait until we board and that’s the first thing I do is go to each restaurant and make a reservation for night one and two.

My last cruise was the first time we couldn’t get into Chops any night, so we ate in the Italian restaurant two nights in a row.

This was on a 4 night cruise.

I wait until I get on board also, but simply call to set reservations for night one and night two. Usually while in the CL waiting for cabin to open, and use the concierge's phone to do it. ;)

Hello!...hope to sail with you again soon! :D

I apologize in advance for not searching for the answer as I would normally do but feeling lazy this morning. :p

Just a few questions:

How do we book?

Since we are both Diamond + can Marie and I both use it? In other words I BOGO the first night and she does the 2nd night?

Does cruise length matter as to whether it is offered? Will we be able to use it on a 4 day cruise?

Thanks in advance for your responses. :D

I always e mail the concierge about a week before and ask them to make a reservation for the 1st night then when we are having dinner that night we ask them if we can pay for the 2nd Bogo and "attempt" to book it for later in the week - most of the time it works with a lot of persuasion !!!!

I am a solo D+ sailing on Allure. As a solo, with either BOGO, I would eat in a specialty restaurant on nights 1 and 2. If I buy the BOGO online it is $40. It appears that the Diamond+ BOGO would be more expensive,. Is that correct? Does anyone know what restaurants participate in either of these deals. I think I remember that the Allure only has a few restaurants where the online BOGO can be used.

Thanks!!

Hi Roswell,

More often than not as recently reported, the specialty price in your cruise planner will be lower than when on board. I first cAme aware of this last May on Explorer where I was miffed seeing the price jump on board... this was the last time I used the D+ bogo as a then realized it was useless. Then little Britain posted the same thing for jewel in May. Then I went on jewel and sure enough, cruise planner price less than on board, then others posted from other ships.

Anyways, yes the cruise planner bogo will likely be less expensive than your D+ benefit. Remember, things seem to change weekly with RC and from ship to ship with no rhyme or reason.... maybe next week on board pricing will be less than cruise planner!

I always e mail the concierge about a week before and ask them to make a reservation for the 1st night then when we are having dinner that night we ask them if we can pay for the 2nd Bogo and "attempt" to book it for later in the week - most of the time it works with a lot of persuasion !!!!

Hello Pencruise,

I know of others who have done this as well. I believe this only works if the ship does not have many specialty packages sold and thus the venues would be empty enough to accept this request.

I know on my Harmony sailing they denied this request to a couple in the CL. All specialty’s we’re booked through to the final night by day 3, you couldn’t even get in if you wanted to pay full price.

Hey Bill, the D+ "benefit" is useless in my humble opinion.

Note that with any pre-cruise package, including the $40 BOGO, you don't pay 18% grats...

when you pay on board, incl. the D+ BOGO, you do.

So your D+ BOGO at Chops + Giovanni's = $39 (+18%) + $35(+18%) = $87... more expensive than the $40 BOGO available to everybody.

You're inquiring regarding the 4-day Explorer correct?

Check your cruise planner. I bought the 4 day package for $90 per person = $22.50 per person per night.(grats are included). The 3 night package is $75 = $25 per night (grats are included)...

By the way, both 4-day sailings last two years many people had OBC which were used at the specialty. They were fully booked and couldn't take new bookings on board.

I agree with this logic but I think most (hopefully) people with bogo or 4 day dining package ($100 on Oasis class) do tip extra; mostly eliminating the $7 difference in example.

The main benefit of buying package over D+ might be that you get at least one night preassigned in one of the specialty restaurants at the time you reserve ahead of time.

I'm looking at a 4 night Symphony sailing and really wondering, with the 4 night dining package, what if can't book a specialty each night, shut out, would they refund $25 for a night you couldn't get any reservation, even if flexible on restaurants and times?

That's the scenario when I'd consider not tipping extra, if paid $100 for 3 nights dining b/c nothing available (attempting to book as soon as board). Although the beef would be with RCCL and not the servers.

Anyone know if shut out if can use a dining credit to get Izumi sushi to go?

I agree with this logic but I think most (hopefully) people with bogo or 4 day dining package ($100 on Oasis class) do tip extra; mostly eliminating the $7 difference in example.

The main benefit of buying package over D+ might be that you get at least one night preassigned in one of the specialty restaurants at the time you reserve ahead of time.

I've never once had my 1st night pre-assigned, although it's clear on the RCL website info that the 1st or 2nd night will be assigned.

I'm looking at a 4 night Symphony sailing and really wondering, with the 4 night dining package, what if can't book a specialty each night, shut out, would they refund $25 for a night you couldn't get any reservation, even if flexible on restaurants and times?

With the thousands of posters looking at and commenting these forums, I've never once heard of this. I recommend that the very first day when you board the ship, go up to one of the specialty venues... there is always someone there on the first day. Make a plan on which days you want specialty before your cruise so when you head up there on day one, you can book all 4 of your restaurants. No one who has done this has reported being denied all of their bookings... I do this as well, has worked every time so far. They know how many people have booked specialty, and they also have extra room saved for the genie's (suite guests) and PNs. You should be good to go

That's the scenario when I'd consider not tipping extra, if paid $100 for 3 nights dining b/c nothing available (attempting to book as soon as board). Although the beef would be with RCCL and not the servers.

Anyone know if shut out if can use a dining credit to get Izumi sushi to go?

Answers in red above... I don't think this will come into play whatsoever. Have a great cruise!:D

artvlay, this is what I have done for the past several sailings. I book and pay for a dinner for one on night 1 or 2 at Chops or Giovanni's at full price. I do this in my cruise planner well before the cruise.

DW and I show up, advise the host of our intent to use D+ BOGO and have a nice meal with a -0- bill at the end. Just leave a nice tip for the service.

Sometimes we go to the host right after boarding to advise of our plans.

artvlay, this is what I have done for the past several sailings. I book and pay for a dinner for one on night 1 or 2 at Chops or Giovanni's at full price. I do this in my cruise planner well before the cruise.

DW and I show up, advise the host of our intent to use D+ BOGO and have a nice meal with a -0- bill at the end. Just leave a nice tip for the service.

Sometimes we go to the host right after boarding to advise of our plans.

With the never-ending, ever- changing sales on the cruise planner don’t you find it a hassle waiting to book when you see the dinners at full price, or are you able to override the discounted pricing?

Specialty dining isn’t worth that much of my time and attention.

With the never-ending, ever- changing sales on the cruise planner don’t you find it a hassle waiting to book when you see the dinners at full price, or are you able to override the discounted pricing?

Specialty dining isn’t worth that much of my time and attention.

Actually, no. The price is USUALLY at the regular price for specialty dining. There are specials I see from time to time. I get emails touting a 20% off sale on dining sometimes.

The never ending SALES you refer to are for cruise prices. There are 365 days a year of sales with different names.

Actually, no. The price is USUALLY at the regular price for specialty dining. There are specials I see from time to time. I get emails touting a 20% off sale on dining sometimes.

The never ending SALES you refer to are for cruise prices. There are 365 days a year of sales with different names.

Ok I stand corrected!

Well aware of continual cruise sale prices but seems like I get bombarded with emails offering 20/30% off dining, beverage packages, excursions, internet etc.

However, just checked my future bookings and it appears they are all at normal price presently. I don’t take much notice of specialty dining prices as past experience has shown them to be overrated in the main. Last time we did want to try a “new to us” dining room the only online price was discounted which of course they wouldn’t accept onboard with BOGO as others have said. Only restaurant we actually enjoy “for a change” is Izumi hot rocks which won’t allow BOGO, or an allowance in our experience. In the main haven’t found Diamond+ BOGO much value to us.