Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Sorry, not a cooking and/or potato expert.  Just like to eat them, but not sweet potatoes.  Is that bad?

Nice and super sunny here now in Central Ohio.  But, temperatures are cool.  Now 37F.  Will be high of 45F.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1936223195_ScreenShot2020-11-18at11_19_36AM.thumb.png.8a87f7c9210fec9981baa587c15298d8.png

391701933_ScreenShot2020-11-18at11_20_06AM.thumb.png.61b0fd0d3c8be07223a53c98227cf102.png

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

Daveywavey, it must be pretty rotten currently to be running your business, in Wales.  I guess you are in the countryside; quite a lot of pubs and restaurants are running takeaway and home delivery food businesses, which must help, and certainly nice for those of us who can utilise them (not us personally, except for a very good Chinese near here).  It is also hard not knowing what the 'rules' will be before and over Christmas - I have to admit I think they should be pretty stringent, current numbers show that lessening strictness has led to more infections, even where we live in the back of beyond.  Although we complain bitterly, I don't envy the powers that be trying to strike a balance.

Enjoying the last of the falling leaves, my favourite tree now resembles my hair, not as thickly covered  as it used to be!

Lola

Its not been the easiest of times Lola , especially with the ever shifting goalposts and multitude of ever changing rules. We just have to make the best of what we can. Our first Minister is appalling. There are people in much worse situations than us. At least I get to rattle around a big old empty haunted house! Keep smiling and keep safe!

• Like 1

I am doing, Davey!  Should have gone to local hosp. for a check-up X-ray, but cancelled when I realised it meant sitting in a waiting room with all the A and E people!    Consultant completely agreed.

I have realised that our visit to the Manoir was some 30 years ago.  Gerard' son, Jean-Louis is now in charge.  They have been around since the Middle Ages, and the name changes with each generation, from Gerard to Jean-Louis and back.  Their Hermitage is lovely; we were drinking from magnums from different years at the lunch, which I think was about £25 each all in!   Just looked up the current prices, wow.   Being cheapskates, we did not stay there, had a taxi to and back from a cheaper nearby hotel.

Sounds as if our UK vaccine is going to be pretty good, 94% success rate and works for the over 65s.  I hope we may have a strict lockdown until mid-December, then a week or so at Christmas when we can mix  a bit  within a family, then probably back to lockdown.  It does seem to work to some extent, looking at current figures.

• Like 1

We had quite severe lockdown in Victoria especially Melbourne where it was very strict. Now coming out of it and we have had 19 days of no new cases with only 3 active cases still. It seems to have worked and life is starting to return to a little bit of "normal".  Our daughter and family visited last weekend when "the ring of steel" around Melbourne was lifted. They live 100 Km from us and other than talking on party time app we hadn’t seen them since March. 
South Australia has just confirmed a cluster after thinking they were virus free. Like Victoria’s it was spread from a quarantine hotel. They are starting a hard lockdown with no one allowed out to exercise. At its most severe Victorians could exercise for an hour within 5Km from home. 
Difficult  days ahead for the world.  
Stay safe everyone, you are in our thoughts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Jilly, good to see you again🙂..seems the virus is getting worse all over the place.

The numbers here in the states continue to go up, up and up. As of today, we have over

250,000 deaths☹️........it is unbelievable really.

2 hours ago, jillyf said:

We had quite severe lockdown in Victoria especially Melbourne where it was very strict. Now coming out of it and we have had 19 days of no new cases with only 3 active cases still. 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Jilly, good to see you again🙂..seems the virus is getting worse all over the place.

I'd say the virus isn't getting worse in Jilly's state, especially when you consider the USA has over 165,000 new cases each day!  Her state has gone nearly 3-weeks without a new case.  And, we haven't had less than 100,000 cases per day in since November 3rd!

• Like 1

The Potato🙂..........after reading all those posts I broke down and made the following recipe

and although my dish might not be as pretty as this one (I used a regular baking dish) it 

was DELICIOUS and figured 1 potato would not hurt. (I used 2 smaller ones).  I know most

folks would probably eat this as a side dish but I had it for my main meal and have plenty 

leftover.   

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-potato-casserole

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

I'd say the virus isn't getting worse in Jilly's state, especially when you consider the USA has over 165,000 new cases each day!  Her state has gone nearly 3-weeks without a new case.  And, we haven't had less than 100,000 cases per day in since November 3rd!

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific......it is getting worse here in the states and

in Europe.  I know our cases are going through the roof. It is terrible.☹️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

I got that impression!?

And you are not wrong Chas!  🤣  Myster and I attended a cooking class in Bali.  We had to chop a scazillion of vegetables for the meal.  My knife skills were so pathetic that one of the helper lads at the cooking school scooted me out of the way and chopped the vegetables for me.  Sadly, I was not the least bit embarrassed!  😁  I know my skill set and the knife plays no part in that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mysty said:

And you are not wrong Chas!  🤣  Myster and I attended a cooking class in Bali.  We had to chop a scazillion of vegetables for the meal.  My knife skills were so pathetic that one of the helper lads at the cooking school scooted me out of the way and chopped the vegetables for me.  Sadly, I was not the least bit embarrassed!  😁  I know my skill set and the knife plays no part in that!

I am the chopper here. I love chopping & I keep my knives sharp!!🩸 In her hey day frau was a great chefette. She was a Julia Child follower & we went to guild dinners with her  in DC. Also at the Smithsonian museum opening of her exhibit.  I also sent her to my mom for further instruction .

• Like 3

Chas, I've seen that graphic. Usually in a descriptive form, that almost all of the population of Canada lives below the northern boundary of the lower 48.

Hard to wrap your head around it, until you realize how far south the province of Ontario extends, compared to the border between the western US and the prairie provinces. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Did you know this?

canada -L.jpg

Very possibly so!  Toronto and area as well as Montreal are below that red line.  BC, AB, SASK and MAN make up only about 11,000,000 people.  The Eastern provinces are not very populous.  

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1