Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

I think kale prepared properly would convert you @TLCOhio

How best to process Kale??  Loved Davey's cute suggestion/graphic of using coconut oil to prepare the Kale to make it easier for scraping it into the trash.  

Seriously, in my mind, the best "prep" might for me would involve having about four or five large margaritas, frozen with salt, to drink before doing any Kale.  Would that help prep my body and numb my mind for that experience?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

How are all affected prepared and ready?

Chicken Pot Pie last night.

Today, created a homemade stock from a beef soup bone and various herbs (rosemary, oregano, and thyme) that simmered all day.  Added diced vegetables (potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, sweet corn and peas) an hour before eating tonight for a hearty soup.

3 hours ago, silkismom said:

Been here and gone for our area of the "Eastern slope"

And it was a pretty pathetic storm at that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Chicken Pot Pie last night.

Today, created a homemade stock from a beef soup bone and various herbs (rosemary, oregano, and thyme) that simmered all day.  Added diced vegetables (potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, sweet corn and peas) an hour before eating tonight for a hearty soup.

Stumbles  .... are you taking cooking lessons from JP ??  🤭

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Jazz, let us know what the folks down there give you to eat apart from the donuts. 

You mean there is food apart from donuts?  I haven't reached my quota of Krispy Kremes yet, so I haven't explored that wider world...

Fine dining took a big hit with Covid around here, but it is starting to come back.  We are in an Italian area so there are some good local restaurants for that cuisine, a couple of really good steakhouses [apart from my kitchen...], and lots of Gulf seafood.  Also spill-over of Cajun recipes from that terrible place that 'stole Mardi Gras' from Mobile!

And I have had deep-fried kale, which isn't bad.  [But deep-fried anything is the National Food here, and I'm on board with that!]

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Bad weather coming!!  Fortunately here in Central Ohio, we will not get hit too hard.  BUT, for many other parts of the U.S. and Canada, there will be lots of snow.  See the NY Times map below.  

How are all affected prepared and ready?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/upshot/snow-forecast-totals-lookup.html

image.thumb.png.ebfcd3126484aeaf5c19e1581ba56f76.png

I even heard about the road and highway closures on the radio in Perth, Western Australia, this morning.  That snow map looks just so wrong!  Snow in California?  That's like snowing in Western Australia (well, Perth area, anyway, and definitely not the far north!). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mysty said:

The idea that if you "eat right", exercise religiously, avoid alcohol, and follow ever bit of wellness advice available that you will live forever is a fairytale!  Responsible people make the choices that work for them and take everything else with a block of salt.  Tofu is a no go for me!   So is kale!  I know I will die.   It won't be with kale in my mouth! 😁

But I love soft tofu.  AKA Japanese tofu.  It is like a lovely custard. Delicious with satay sauce. That is the "Asian" in me from my very good Singaporean friends.  You can keep the kale though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

But I love soft tofu.  AKA Japanese tofu.  It is like a lovely custard. Delicious with satay sauce. That is the "Asian" in me from my very good Singaporean friends.  You can keep the kale though!

Port, what you are describing bears absolutely no resemblance to what is on offer around here.  Japanese tofu sounds like something I might enjoy. 😄

Ok. I actually like Kale. LOL. I add it to soups (or spinach) and do not mind a bit of it in salads. Great in Zuppa Toscana.  When visiting my Grandson in Newport Beach we go to a place called True Foods Kitchen. They have a beverage called Kale Aid. I always order it and actually bought a juicer a few years back to make it fresh at home.

My Grandson asked for a sip of mine while at the restaurant and he liked it. He then asked if he could have one too. I was surprised!  Kale, cucumber, lemon, apple, and celery blended and served over ice.

It is quite refreshing.:)

As for Tofu, Yuck!

I do not like fried foods either except for French fries and who can pass up a donut?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Ok. I actually like Kale. LOL. I add it to soups (or spinach) and do not mind a bit of it in salads. Great in Zuppa Toscana.  When visiting my Grandson in Newport Beach we go to a place called True Foods Kitchen. They have a beverage called Kale Aid. I always order it and actually bought a juicer a few years back to make it fresh at home.

My Grandson asked for a sip of mine while at the restaurant and he liked it. He then asked if he could have one too. I was surprised!  Kale, cucumber, lemon, apple, and celery blended and served over ice.

As for Tofu, Yuck!

I do not like fried foods either except for French fries and who can pass up a donut?

I was just thinking about the delicious Tuscan Kale salad that I had earlier this week at a local restaurant.  I don't understand how any of its ingredients qualified it to be named "Tuscan", though...  cranberries, savoy cabbage, hazelnuts, aged cheddar, meyer lemon vinaigrette.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

As for Tofu, Yuck!

We have True Foods Kitchen here as well.  Kale just tastes too bitter to me. They always offer a side of kale salad or sweet potato hash.........you can bet which one I always get and it is not the kale.....but I LOVE spinach....kind of strange.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Kale just tastes too bitter to me.

Agree, Lois, you summarized the "Kale Challenge" in an excellent manner with your above "too bitter" comment.  

On the weather, this is hard to imagine.  See below our forecast today in Central Ohio from AccuWeather.  Yesterday, I was in touch with friends in Texas near San Antonio and they said it was 88F on the way to a high of 91F.  Wow!!  

But, here is what the same service is reporting for the state just north of us in Michigan:  "Michigan was one of the hardest-hit states with over 600,000 customers without power at one point Thursday morning. In the Northeast, shoveling snow was like shoveling "cement" in one part of the region."   Are those in Canada and the Northeast ready for what is coming?

Link for more from AccuWeather: 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/live-news/live-updates-winter-storm-snow-ice-blizzard-warnings/1487091

For Central Ohio today from AccuWeather: 

image.thumb.png.fbdf266ca371edd3b54d52fb35e14c92.png

14 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

On that graphic, it is not "my map", it was a product of the New York Times, a supposedly very "international" newspaper.  Do not know why they blocked out the Canada details.  Below is a map this evening from AccuWeather that provides more details for what is coming soon for these parts of Canada, the NE/New England areas, etc.  Many areas of Canada and the northern U.S. are going to be getting 6"+ of snow.  Burr!!!

I will say that this map is much better. However, the New York Times types are very common.

• Like 1

We're going to Dublin for a few days week after next and in all my years have never visited the Guinness Brewery. I know! Anyway, I had a look online to book a couple of tickets. Got quite excited when I saw there was a concessionary rate for age 65+.  So, regular entry is €22 but for over 65s it's, er, €22.  How Irish is that? 

• Haha 9