Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I am confused here - I thought the drink was spelt Noilly Prat, with two lls, and therefore quite difficult to pronounce correctly in the French way.  Is this noily a completely different word?

The best  way I can describe it is nwa-yee..

Vous avez raison, Madame ! 

Thanks for setting us prats straight. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Continuing my education here in the Cooler, I had to look up one of the words Jeff used.

Copying from whatever search engine my PC currently defaults to:

The term "noily" has two meanings:12
  1. It refers to a dry white vermouth drink from France, also known as Noilly Prat.
  2. It can also be an adverb, meaning in a way that makes a lot of noise.
Learn more:

It's also the term a Brooklynite uses for "nearly". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Vous avez raison, Madame ! 

Thanks for setting us prats straight. 

Love to cook with Noilly Prat, goes very well with fennel too. Tagliatelle with fennel in a creamy Noilly Prat sauce with freshly grated parmiggiano... yum.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

I am confused here - I thought the drink was spelt Noilly Prat, with two lls, and therefore quite difficult to pronounce correctly in the French way.  Is this noily a completely different word?

The best  way I can describe it is nwa-yee..

As no-one could pronounce it I simply pragmatically did as commanded by the Christmas Carol.  

Noel Noel.

Now it is pronounceable. 

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Sorry, jp, am I being bossy and pedantic again?

Not at all! You are correct with your spelling of Noilly, and your statement that it's difficult to pronounce. I can pronounce most French words without much stumbling over the sounds but that one does not roll off the tongue. I also have difficulty saying "Auxerre" because the "x" in the middle of the word behaves differently than when it's at the end of a word.

• Like 2

My worst faux pas was when I visited my relations in Paris and stated in “French” that I needed to go out and get my hair cut and they all roared out laughing and told me that I had said I was going out to get my horse cut. 

🙂

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Plural chevaux.

I know,  I said that I was only getting my horse cut not my horses ! 😄

Thankfully I avoided saying that I was getting my goat cut!  👍

My French has always been appalling. 

Jeff

• Haha 1

Well @Daveywavey70 Rojaan might be related. Our son got his DNA done thinking his genes would most likley be majority English but no he has 35% of Welsh genes which they say came from his mother. Another 30% is Scots. Well we both know that we have 25% Scots blood coming from our Grandmothers.

So now he is on a search for our Welsh relatives. Won't be easy as Rojaan's maternal Grandfather got married under an alias when he came to Australia. All our son could find out was he was lodged in the big house a few times.

• Haha 1

Yes, jp, Auxerre is another those dastardly French fool us with.  I always thought it was Okserre, but I think it is more like Osserre.  However when you think about pronunciations in English we should not complain about anyone else.  Like words spelt like 'cough' for instance.  And  far more of 'them' make an effort to speak English than us trying  to master theirs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Well @Daveywavey70 Rojaan might be related. Our son got his DNA done thinking his genes would most likley be majority English but no he has 35% of Welsh genes which they say came from his mother. Another 30% is Scots. Well we both know that we have 25% Scots blood coming from our Grandmothers.

So now he is on a search for our Welsh relatives. Won't be easy as Rojaan's maternal Grandfather got married under an alias when he came to Australia. All our son could find out was he was lodged in the big house a few times.

Well she’s in very good company. Dolly Parton has just revealed last week that her ancestry was from Conwy. Do you have any leads?

I Believe that a trip to the big house was often, in those days, a pre-curser for a much longer trip. 

The trips to the big house were after he arrived in Australia . though the majority of Rojaan's forebears that travelled to Australia did so as guests of his Majesty. But our son liked that as 1 possibly 2 of them arrived on the First Fleet. that is now a badge of honour down under. So now our son is a proud member of the First Fleeters Association.

The only leads he has as his DNA was done through Ancestry was the names of about 6 who may be second or third cousins. He is getting in touch with them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, drron29 said:

The trips to the big house were after he arrived in Australia . though the majority of Rojaan's forebears that travelled to Australia did so as guests of his Majesty. But our son liked that as 1 possibly 2 of them arrived on the First Fleet. that is now a badge of honour down under. So now our son is a proud member of the First Fleeters Association.

The only leads he has as his DNA was done through Ancestry was the names of about 6 who may be second or third cousins. He is getting in touch with them.

I’ll look forward to his call 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I’ll look forward to his call 😁 

As Dolly Parton once said   ....

Why he is a  cousin of mine  .... a cousin of mine  ...  your libel  for to  see him here any ol time .....

• Haha 2

After a tiring day, a commuter settled down in his seat and closed his eyes. As the train rolled out of the station, a woman sitting next to him pulled out her mobile phone.

She started talking in a loud voice: “Hi sweetheart. It’s Sue. I’m on the train”. “Yes, I know it’s the 6:30 and not the 4:30, but I had a long meeting”. “No, honey, not with that Kevin from the accounting office. It was with the boss”. “No sweetheart, you’re the only one in my life”. “Yes, I’m sure, cross my heart!”

15 minutes later, she was still talking loudly. When the man sitting next to her had enough, he leaned over and said into the phone, “Sue, hang up the phone and come back to bed”.

Sue doesn’t use her mobile phone in public any longer.

image.jpeg.dbf92001c44233336a588d9be5ea7236.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c9853fd3bfd148e9bb89489c66fb84e.jpeg

image.jpeg.29b5255aa5e64c6dc3bee9286d411d4b.jpeg

• Haha 7

Hi folks, just dropping in to say hello from the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth,,NJ.  They have a shuttle to the port where I will board Celebrity Eclipse later this morning.

I flew in yesterday and the weather has been lovely.

DW, will keep you updated on how things go🙂

• Like 6

Some good news about our upcoming Kimberley cruise this week...

Our TA sent an email, asking if we'd be OK with an upgrade from Veranda to a Silver Suite! We didn't have to think too long about that one. Now we're even more excited for this trip - 11 days until we fly!

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, just dropping in to say hello from the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth,,NJ.  They have a shuttle to the port where I will board Celebrity Eclipse later this morning.

I flew in yesterday and the weather has been lovely.

DW, will keep you updated on how things go🙂

Bon voyage!  Lois, will be interested to hear your thoughts on this cruise and ship after being spoiled by Silversea for so long 🙂

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

Same here, Lois.  Dare I  ask if you are going to be in the posh' bit of the ship, with presumably superior restaurants etc.  In any case, it will be interesting to hear how you find a ship with so many people on board,  for a change.  I have a feeling you will make the most of it anyway, and meet nice people and enjoy yourself, as usual.

Lola