Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Greetings Coolers!

We went out for dinner last night to a wonderful restaurant we had discovered in our new small town.  When I made the reservation I mentioned that we had just moved in and wanted to celebrate at their awesome restaurant.  When we arrived last night I was greeted with a beautiful single rose to welcome us to town.  The meal was delicious.  Myster had wild boar and I had rack of lamb  with escargot for both to start.  I am going to love living here!  🙂

Today's funny is from another small town...Indian Hills, Colorado (population was 1,280 at the 2010 Census)

indian-hills-community-center-sign-022.jpg.b76bd65fed5af95e1177886f2a80afb6.jpg

Have a great day all!

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 8:41 AM, jpalbny said:

That's awesome. A marine version of the Tasmanian Devil in the plumbing system. What could possibly go wrong with that? 

Your cruise sounds like it was great! Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves so much.

Oh my goodness, can you imagine that getting into the Albany sewer system, forget alligators in the sewer ......  it would be something out of Men In Black!

• Haha 2

On 10/1/2019 at 2:53 AM, FlyingScotSailors said:

JP, we have not been to Tara's Kitchen for a while, but Ann took a cooking class there and now cooks in our tangine at home.

Jan, we are on the not so alien West coast, so good that you did not need us to even the odds with your in laws. 

Jan and JP, the Exit 9 annual NYS tasting is November 9. We usually have a group of friends there, with supper after at our house. Are you available then, or are you in Portugal? 

To any other Coolers celebrating Rosh Hashanah,  L'Shanah Tovah.

Shana Tova!  I'll celebrate anything, anytime, anywhere, especially if there's good food involved.    We were thinking about going to the 11/9 event, we're in for the Cider event later this month.  We'd love to meet up with you some time, perhaps sooner than later?

16 hours ago, mysty said:

Update on critically disabled teak wall unit.  She survived the surgery and is in stable condition thanks to L brackets and multiple screws.  And yes, this piece of furniture does age us!  🙂  She does match the teak table and chairs nicely though.

DSC08633b.jpg.50425fa381819c99cf1260fc202c068c.jpg

So happy to hear that she is stable, and recovering.  Teak is such a beautiful wood.  We moved our glider from the old house to the new - out on the front porch.  I cleaned it up, and used Murphy's Oil Soap - looks so fresh and happy in it's new surroundings.  Perhaps I need to be "Murphy'd"  😆

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Jan,:classic_smile: glad you had a good cruise. I didn't realize what ship you were sailing......I sailed her 2 years ago. 

Lois, did you enjoy it?  It is a really nice smaller Big ship.  We honestly had a great time, and didn't mind the "extra folks", because .... the staff was happy, helpful, engaging, and really made us feel like we were on a much smaller exclusive ship.  May I be so bold to say, it seems like we were getting Silversea treatment on an RCCL ship.   A few hardcore RCCL cruisers even mentioned the really great vibe on the ship, but they attributed it to the itinerary .... whatever it was, we were digging it!

With the sibling-in-laws down visiting for the first time since their Mom passed, talk came up about a yearly vacation to keep everyone together.  We have our plans set for 2020, and no one seemed too interested in Alaska  (sorry Ellen, Toronto is not remotely Alaska...), it's looking like Mediterranean for 2021.  Of the four factions, we are the only ones that have done bits & pieces of the Med (and loved it all, would repeat).  Any recommendations for you well traveled folks for first time Med ports "must sees"?   I was thinking Adriatic (little bit if Italy, Croatia, Greece),  or more on the Spain side.  Recommendations are most appreciated.   We will most likely be sailing a more mainstream line (Celebrity or RCCL) as Silversea may be a bit too expensive for most of our companions (especially the 30 year olds).

On 10/1/2019 at 7:20 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, yes!!!!!!!! It is OCTOBER!!!!!!!  And I leave a week from Friday!!!!:classic_biggrin:

Tick tock, tick tock!  Lucky you, I'm ready for a vacation, but that won't be until May.  You're heading to Venice, right? *sigh*

3 hours ago, mysty said:

Today's funny is from another small town...Indian Hills, Colorado (population was 1,280 at the 2010 Census)

It’s fun seeing that little Indian Hill’s community hall sign all over the internet.  The fella that puts up the quotes up each week is quite a hoot.  Great sense of humor as you can imagine.

Oddly enough, Indian Hills is not a town, but rather a Census-Designated Place (CDP).  A CDP is a term assigned by the U.S. Census Bureau to communities that resemble cities but lack incorporation or any sort of municipal government.  Even more strange is the fact that nearly all mountain communities in Colorado don’t list their population on community name signs, but rather their elevation.  Indian Hills is 6,857’.  The next community over is our little CDP (Evergreen) at 7,220’.  Our house actually sits a little higher at 7,500’.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Oddly enough, Indian Hills is not a town, but rather a Census-Designated Place (CDP).  A CDP is a term assigned by the U.S. Census Bureau to communities that resemble cities but lack incorporation or any sort of municipal government.  Even more strange is the fact that nearly all mountain communities in Colorado don’t list their population on community name signs, but rather their elevation.  Indian Hills is 6,857’.  The next community over is our little CDP (Evergreen) at 7,220’.  Our house actually sits a little higher at 7,500’.

OOOPS Stumble!  Yes Wiki did mention that Indian Hills was designated as a CDP.  I should have been more specific in my post.  I'll know better for next time!  🙂 Was your last Census in the US in 2010?  I used to work at Statistics Canada as an Economic Statistician and we did a census every 5 years.  Our next one is scheduled for 2021.

Your house sits at a high elevation.  Does your family suffer from nose bleeds?  🙂 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, UpstateJan said:

Shana Tova!  I'll celebrate anything, anytime, anywhere, especially if there's good food involved.    We were thinking about going to the 11/9 event, we're in for the Cider event later this month.  We'd love to meet up with you some time, perhaps sooner than later?

Jan we are sitting in the airport in Los Angeles, and should be home by midnight. We visited Peter's brother and SIL in Ashland, OR and our daughter in LA. We leave for Greece next Thursday. 

That said, we would also love to meet you. If you contact us at flyingscotsailors "at" gmail "dot" com we can plan in secret without all the Coolers listening!

Ann & Peter 

10 hours ago, UpstateJan said:

Tick tock, tick tock!  Lucky you, I'm ready for a vacation, but that won't be until May.  You're heading to Venice, right? *sigh*

Hi Jan, yes, going to Venice and taking a River cruise with Uniworld. As for that other ship, it was ok......it was different. I went with my sister and as much as I love her, I am not used to sharing a cabin...LOL...….But it was fine...….good itinerary...actually we did New England too....Boston, Maine, Halifax......

7 hours ago, mysty said:

Was your last Census in the US in 2010?

Does your family suffer from nose bleeds?

Yes, our last census was 2010.  Next one is next year.  Should be interesting.

And, I love how you make me laugh.  We don’t suffer from nose bleeds, but boy oh boy do we ever enjoy drinking wine with flatlanders.  😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

do we ever enjoy drinking wine with flatlanders.  😁

Game on! Does your acclimatization to altitude confer an advantage? And will you lose that when you descend to sea level?

• Haha 1

Greetings Coolers!

And on the 9th day they rested!  Unpacking complete.  Fine tuning of unpacking complete. And the funny for today (also from the CDP of Indian Hills).....

560583338_1140x641.jpg.c3a5c44746a8e573ed7b628f999ea6ee.jpg

Have a great day all!

• Haha 2

Good morning coolers.   I am in a bit of a quandry --- sort of my own making but really not......As most of you know,

I am going to retire a the end of March but some things have happened in the office (more work) and just not sure I am wanting to do what is being added to my workload now.

I keep looking back in my mind 10 months ago when I was told I was being transferred to HQ.....not what

I ever planned.

I am thinking of leaving at the end of January instead of March. I know it is only 2 months and the original

point was to work until after I turned 62 (March 18th). I was going to stay, take a cruise to the Caribbean

in January and that would break up the time but not sure I want to stay those extra 2 months...…….

(thankfully I am ok financially those 2 months would not be affected).

I know you can't tell me what to do but just am really not wanting to be there anymore...…..

Anyway, thanks for listening to my venting.

Thank you.

Lois, unless there is a significant financial gain to hanging on those extra 2 months, why bother? If you are financially solvent and you can leave early, don't look back. It's 2 months of your life that you won't get back and the company certainly will not thank you for staying. I think I know what would make you happier. 

Chris and I hope to be (at most) in a part-time status before 62. I am pretty sure that we could swing that in another 5 years with the proper planning. Though who knows, maybe we will just retire outright if the medical profession keeps going like it has in recent years. Besides, there are too many cruises to take, and too little time!

PS - enjoy your Venice cruise! Just over a week now! We are all excited for you and we want to hear all about it when you come back. 

Edited by jpalbny

Lois, we second JP's excellent advice.  Waiting for your birthday may give you a "significant milestone" for your retirement date, but having an easily rememberable date is not really worth two months of additional work (i.e. "misery")?  With no financial impact to you, we say leave earlier!

Peter's work made it miserable for him, and he retired a few years earlier than originally planned;  we have never looked back.  We have also recently realized that we should have started traveling more sooner.  You apparently are not making that mistake. 😀

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

until after I turned 62 (March 18th).

Peter's birthday is March 19.  We can have a belated birthday party on the Seabourn Quest in April.

A&P

14 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Game on! Does your acclimatization to altitude confer an advantage? And will you lose that when you descend to sea level?

Haha!  Yes, but the advantage is only at altitude.  At sea level i’m transform into mere mortal.

13 hours ago, mysty said:

Stumble...are flatlanders the same as flatearthers?  🙂 

Absolutely not   Flatlanders are geniuses compared to flatearthers. 😁

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Haha!  Yes, but the advantage is only at altitude.  At sea level i’m transform into mere mortal.

Absolutely not   Flatlanders are geniuses compared to flatearthers. 😁

Stumble...I love your wit!!!!!

Morning Coolers,

Are you counting in hours yet Lois? I Agree with the views above, what's to gain from staying 2 more months?

Glad you can finally see the carpets M and pleased the wall unit has responded well to treatment. Sounds like the move has been a positive one.

So having my Mexico holiday cancelled after Thomas Cook collapsed has left me with itchy feet! I'm feeling the need for a little adventure. I'm really limited on dates but have found what looks like a great tour of the Golden Triangle mid November that just fits my schedule. Will have to go alone though. Do any coolers have any experience with Intrepid Travel Tours? I Know they're not a luxury company but you don't really go to India for luxury. I Do really like their emphasis on heavily supporting locals. I'm almost ready to push the button.

Hope all are well. 

• Like 1