Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 9/26/2019 at 10:31 AM, Daveywavey70 said:

Lucky my OH took redundancy from TCG when he did.  ... The BOD wants stringing up for what they've done to the company. 

Davey, they say that timing is everything. 

Your BOD comment left me scratching my head. I could not figure out who the board would want to string up. Another example of two countries divided by a common language!

• Like 1

Greetings Coolers!

A move update....

We survived!  The move wemt mostly smoothly.  There was a fatality though.  We have a teak wall unit (8 feet long) that we bought in 1978.  It holds our stereo system.  The movers bundled it up and taped it together.  When the bundling was removed the poor wall unit could barely stand up on its own.  We are going to try to resuscitate it with L brackets and screws at the corners.  Hopefully that will work.

We've been busy unpacking and after almost 4 days I can see the floor in places.  The big challenge is finding space to put things.  The storage room in the parking garage is already almost full and there are still things that need to go in there.  I am now thinking I did not get rid of enough things.

Today's funny.....(spoiler alert: it's a groaner!)

70841501_2943901958957345_8608420255796035584_n.jpg.cad1541e1694d8577bf6ad1c9c383a86.jpg

Have a great day all!

• Like 1

Greetings Coolers!

We can now see the floor in places.  And we have invested in a few sets of resin storage shelves for the storage room.  The units apparently hold up to 750 lbs when evenly distributed over the 5 shelves.  We'll see!  The next chore will be cleaning the apartment after the unpacking is finished.  I found a helpful hint.......

ea377277006d92b1c5dddf1f926a4e18.jpg.3d41060ca463618f5f1ec1bd87f1a6ef.jpg

Have a great day all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Coolers! 

Busy weekend, considering that we stayed home and neither of us was working.

Friday night we went to a play in Schenectady, The Addams Family, at a small venue which we've been once before. We went for dinner before the show at a Moroccan restaurant which was delicious. 

20190927_182820.thumb.jpg.6e718cbe4e9c703d17fccec0f8e6f98c.jpg

Spiced eggplant dip to start. Then some tagines. We even found a Moroccan rosé which was tasty.

The play was fun. Have always loved the Addams Family but for me, Raul Julia and Angelica Huston played those roles to the hilt. Maybe I'll do some digging and try to find some of the original episodes...

Saturday evening we had a birthday party to go to. Everyone seems to be turning 50 these days. What's with that? Luckily it was an early night. One of the advantages of 50th birthday parties! 🤣

Yesterday we were finally home for the whole day. But I had to snake out the drain for the laundry room sink again. The washer backed up. That's getting a little old. Think I need something better than a drain snake, to really clean out that pipe. Or a plumber.

At least we had a nice dinner. Cod with parsley sauce over potatoes, sliced garlic, and slowly-cooked onions. Seems like a Portuguese dish. Apropos for our trip there in less than 6 weeks! 

20190929_174547.thumb.jpg.62ef787a716e3b925e138ae337c676d7.jpg

Pulled something old out of the wine fridge to go with it. This rosé was so old it was almost orange! But very flavorful. It was our last bottle, though. Hopefully we will be back there soon.

20190929_174622.thumb.jpg.9c8d3572b912088c9f5bc98be93112db.jpg

Have a great week all!

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 2:41 PM, FlyingScotSailors said:

Davey, they say that timing is everything. 

Your BOD comment left me scratching my head. I could not figure out who the board would want to string up. Another example of two countries divided by a common language!

Good morning fellow Saratoga County cruisers.  I just left the house (and house guests) - yep, I enjoyed a weekend of cultural "huh?".  It's amazing how different my Canadian inlaws understand what I say.  I was so outnumbered (4 to 1), that I had to run down to Mechanicville to grab my brother & SIL to level the playing field a bit - and it was level, we brought the dog too, and he only speaks mid-American 😉.    I If I had thought quick enough, I could have borrowed you & JP/Chris, we could have had them outnumbered, eh?  😆    We did take them to the Exit 9 liquor warehouse, that settled them down a bit....

• Haha 2

On 9/28/2019 at 7:09 AM, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

A move update....

We survived!  The move wemt mostly smoothly.  There was a fatality though.  We have a teak wall unit (8 feet long) that we bought in 1978.  It holds our stereo system.  The movers bundled it up and taped it together.  When the bundling was removed the poor wall unit could barely stand up on its own.  We are going to try to resuscitate it with L brackets and screws at the corners.  Hopefully that will work.

We've been busy unpacking and after almost 4 days I can see the floor in places.  The big challenge is finding space to put things.  The storage room in the parking garage is already almost full and there are still things that need to go in there.  I am now thinking I did not get rid of enough things.

Today's funny.....(spoiler alert: it's a groaner!)

70841501_2943901958957345_8608420255796035584_n.jpg.cad1541e1694d8577bf6ad1c9c383a86.jpg

Have a great day all!

Oh Mysty, sorry to hear about the dire condition of your teak entertainment center, I will keep it in my prayers for recovery.  We also had a fatality - my Big Green Egg smoker .... shattered in a million little green pieces.  Have not had a chance to consider replacement.  I have also not had the heart to wander downstairs to start unearthing and setting up my sewing & weaving studio, it is an overwhelming chaos of boxes - which I believe may also contain some items we haven't found since we left the old house.   My suggestion, go slow, and drink wine...

15 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

Oh Mysty, sorry to hear about the dire condition of your teak entertainment center, I will keep it in my prayers for recovery.  We also had a fatality - my Big Green Egg smoker .... shattered in a million little green pieces.  Have not had a chance to consider replacement.  I have also not had the heart to wander downstairs to start unearthing and setting up my sewing & weaving studio, it is an overwhelming chaos of boxes - which I believe may also contain some items we haven't found since we left the old house.   My suggestion, go slow, and drink wine...

Definite to the wine suggestion!  🙂  Sorry to hear about your Green Egg smoker!  We will attempt to save the wall unit today.  Getting it from critical to stable condition is the hope.  And I agree that unpacking is much like opening things on Christmas morning.  Despite the attempt to label, the contents are very often a surprise!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yesterday we were finally home for the whole day. But I had to snake out the drain for the laundry room sink again. The washer backed up. That's getting a little old. Think I need something better than a drain snake, to really clean out that pipe. Or a plumber.

JP, perhaps you should have kept that little critter you pulled from the fish tank last week, and put that down the drain instead of a snake?   Then again, I'm not sure I would have wanted to use that sink again.

Just wanted to let you know, we're back from our "big ship who shall remain nameless cruise" of New England/Maritimes.  I have to say, we had a phenomenal time, for the price we paid it far exceeded our expectations.  The food was shockingly really good, not what I remembered from the only other time we sailed on this line.  It was a great group of passengers, we had a lot of fun meeting folks from CC as well as just fun people on the ship.  The staff was super friendly, we had a singing bartender in the Diamond Lounge who was probably better than the entertainers, and was a true delight to spend a bit of time with each evening.  And Mother Nature was thoughtful enough to cooperate, not only in weather, but it amazing vistas, and fabulous critters.  We went on a whale watch in Portland, ME, and were treated to a bevy of sea creatures.  Then, we were treated to seeing whales from our balcony for the next 4 days as well.  Folks that went on the whale watch from Bar Harbor and Halifax were not as lucky as us.   I have to say, Bay of Fundy Trail is just beyond gorgeous, we will go back as there are many more miles to trek.  And yes, Jeremy got to play hero by "tossing" a couple of women across the quickly forming river as the tide started coming in fast & furious.  And then there was lobster ......

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

JP, perhaps you should have kept that little critter you pulled from the fish tank last week, and put that down the drain instead of a snake?   Then again, I'm not sure I would have wanted to use that sink again.

That's awesome. A marine version of the Tasmanian Devil in the plumbing system. What could possibly go wrong with that? 

Your cruise sounds like it was great! Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves so much.

Edited by jpalbny

JP, we have not been to Tara's Kitchen for a while, but Ann took a cooking class there and now cooks in our tangine at home.

Jan, we are on the not so alien West coast, so good that you did not need us to even the odds with your in laws. 

Jan and JP, the Exit 9 annual NYS tasting is November 9. We usually have a group of friends there, with supper after at our house. Are you available then, or are you in Portugal? 

To any other Coolers celebrating Rosh Hashanah,  L'Shanah Tovah.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info about the tasting, FlyingScotSailors. As you guessed, we will be in Portugal then. And now I can finally say that it's next month - because it's October!

Finished the last of the rosé last night with an old favorite, veal scallopini with a cream and tomato sauce. That recipe never fails to please.

20190930_185611.thumb.jpg.aa67f1d2f48fa5ee2c941236e1d5bab1.jpg

Off to take out the garbage. It's raining pretty hard, though. Oh well!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

Update on critically disabled teak wall unit.  She survived the surgery and is in stable condition thanks to L brackets and multiple screws.  And yes, this piece of furniture does age us!  🙂  She does match the teak table and chairs nicely though.

DSC08633b.jpg.50425fa381819c99cf1260fc202c068c.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Mysty - it looks like the shelves in the bottom are for records! And no worries, I hear that they are coming back into style these days...

Thanks JP....We have oodles of LPs!  They are currently in the storage room and our kids have dibs on many of them!

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, UpstateJan said:

Just wanted to let you know, we're back from our "big ship who shall remain nameless cruise" of New England/Maritimes.  I have to say, we had a phenomenal time, for the price we paid it far exceeded our expectations.  The food was shockingly really good, not what I remembered from the only other time we sailed on this line.  It was a great group of passengers, we had a lot of fun meeting folks from CC as well as just fun people on the ship.  The staff was super friendly, we had a singing bartender in the Diamond Lounge who was probably better than the entertainers, and was a true delight to spend a bit of time with each evening.  And Mother Nature was thoughtful enough to cooperate, not only in weather, but it amazing vistas, and fabulous critters.  We went on a whale watch in Portland, ME, and were treated to a bevy of sea creatures.  Then, we were treated to seeing whales from our balcony for the next 4 days as well.  Folks that went on the whale watch from Bar Harbor and Halifax were not as lucky as us.   I have to say, Bay of Fundy Trail is just beyond gorgeous, we will go back as there are many more miles to trek.  And yes, Jeremy got to play hero by "tossing" a couple of women across the quickly forming river as the tide started coming in fast & furious.  And then there was lobster ......

Hi Jan,:classic_smile: glad you had a good cruise. I didn't realize what ship you were sailing......I sailed her 2 years ago. 

• Like 1