Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hi Terry, ...…...I was just saying, her being at the match had nothing to do with loss. Epstein? Totally different:classic_wacko:

If we want to discuss bad habits? Look at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave:classic_angry:

Those darn overachievers! Making the rest of us look bad.

Another Monday, back at work. By a quirk of the schedule, I'm not on call this week or weekend. A rare stretch of one in four instead of the usual one in three. So we decided to visit Burlington (Vermont) this weekend. It's probably been 15 years since we were last there.

We stayed home this past weekend and relaxed, enjoyed some nice cooking and wine. We had to do some restocking which was enjoyable. The wine refrigerators are full and there is a nice selection to choose from. 

Of course it wasn't all fun. I woke up at 5AM on Saturday and heard running water. The vacuum breaker gizmo (AKA anti-siphon valve) on one of the outdoor hose spigots had burst, so it was spraying water out along the foundation. So i turned it off, but since all of our outdoor plants get watered from that spigot, that was only a temporary solution.  So yesterday I found a repair kit at a hardware store and fixed that. Really easy to do but annoying! 

Chris finished round 1 of digitizing a few hundred of the slides that her Dad had taken over many years. This was after sorting  through a few thousand slides over the past year or more. So, a big accomplishment! Now we have to look at them and touch up if needed, then organize them in a logical manner before we show them to him.

Have a great week all!

• Like 2

Just got an email from Silversea that was pumping up and pushing Far East cruises that involve starting or finishing in Hong Kong.  My guess is that the recent "activities" and uncertainty there is affecting bookings in that region.  Right or wrong?

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: “Half-Full Hotels and Cheap Rooms: Hong Kong Tourism Suffers Worst Month” with this sub-head: "Drop is one of the clearest signs antigovernment protests are decimating parts of the local economy". 

Here are more of their story details/highlights: The number of tourists visiting the city suffered one of the biggest drops on record in August, one of the clearest indications that months of antigovernment protests are decimating parts of the local economy.  Tourist arrivals in Hong Kong fell 40% last month from a year ago, the worst decline since May 2003 when the city was grappling with the SARS virus that killed hundreds.  Visitors and shoppers are getting caught up in the clashes, which have sometimes turned violent, quickly move between districts and have shut subway stations for hours at a time.

It's a sad, challenging situation there in Hong Kong.  Given our time there early last year in Hong Kong, we are following these stories closely and hoping for the best in the future.  Glad last year we were able to enjoy the unique aspects of Hong Kong over our four days there.  Anyone with upcoming plans involving Hong Kong??

Full WSJ story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/half-full-hotels-and-cheap-rooms-hong-kong-tourism-suffers-worst-month-since-sars-11568025894

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 49,577 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

54 minutes ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

69478194_2424862014227482_4308986550290481152_n.jpg.7a0e7466e6a4b4257240920bfaca8aa1.jpg

Have a great day all!

Love this Mysty!  As I was working late yesterday, gazing out of the window of my new home office .... the maple leaves out front seem very yellow, and then I noticed another tree was not green anymore either,  I believe autumn is upon us!   We have 90% of our unpacking/putting away done (well for the stuff people will see, let us not discuss the basement).  My heart goes out to you for what is upon you.    

Happy to report, we are going to depart for our next adventure on Sunday morning, to cruise with 2500 of our closest friends up the coast from Boston to Halifax & Bay of Fundy.  That jerk Dorian decided to visit just ahead of us, and of course caused some damage, still power outages as well.  So far, it looks like our planned hikes at Acadia NP and Fundy Trail are still on.  

Enjoy Burlington this coming weekend JP & Chris. if you need a good grocery be sure to check out Healthy Living, or need gardening supplies, Gardeners Supply is up there as well.   Plus, depending on the route you drive, most adorable miniature donkey farm on the way, around Essex I think?  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

Love this Mysty!  As I was working late yesterday, gazing out of the window of my new home office .... the maple leaves out front seem very yellow, and then I noticed another tree was not green anymore either,  I believe autumn is upon us!   We have 90% of our unpacking/putting away done (well for the stuff people will see, let us not discuss the basement).  My heart goes out to you for what is upon you.    

Oh Jan...the dreaded basement!  We were firing away on all cylinders until we started on the basement!  Horrors!  It seems that we had forgotten about a ton of old electronics deep in the keep.  In order to dispose of this kind of thing residents must take the items to a Hazardous Waste Drop Off which only happens once a month.  We are now scrambling to get things together for this coming Sunday.  The old hard drives do not format despite Myster’s Olympic efforts to do this.  Luckily our computer genius son out in Calgary suggested we send them to him to deal with.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and your kind wishes Jan!

• Like 1

Good one, M. 

Yeah, the basement. Scary. I want to take a flamethrower to it. But instead, we just keep the door closed and pretend. 

Jan, have a nice cruise. Beautiful places to see I am sure. We keep meaning to get to Halifax but not yet.

And thanks for the tips. We were thinking more along the lines of the Ben & Jerry's factory, 🍦 though I suppose that a place named Healthy Living might be nice too... 🤣

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, jpalbny said:

And thanks for the tips. We were thinking more along the lines of the Ben & Jerry's factory,

We visited the B+J factory in Waterbury and it was a let-down. Not even a free cone. Meh. My suggestion if you're in the area is to go to the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury. If you're into beer at all, they have the best you can get. And their grass-fed burgers are outstanding.

We also visited Shelburne Farms 5 mi. south of Burlington which is beautiful and historic and I think right up your alley. If you were on a cruise on Lake Champlain, this would be a primo excursion.

Enjoyed the 6 perfect days of weather in the Capital District! Sweating through the FL heat until we leave for Italy in 10 days.

Edited by JohnGinPBG
edit

Thanks, John, and glad you enjoyed it up here.

We went to the B&J factory years ago (probably 2004 or so) and enjoyed it. Fully expect it to be different now, but plan to stop by again while in the area, for hiking etc. If the tours are sold out we won't cry over it. Thanks for the tip on the Prohibition Pig, though. Burgers and beer after a hike sound like fun!

Shelburne Farms is on our radar for sure. Wine Spectator just did a story on their cheeses. Not sure if we will have time for that but we'll see.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Wow Stumbles. I was complaining about a high of 62 degrees today. Though I did smell autumn in the air...

Yeah, I know.  The older I get, the less I enjoy snowflakes in September, even if they were only above 11,000’ last night.  Leadville is supposed to go down to 26° tonight.  But, they sit at 10,151’.  Luckily, we’re only at 7,500’ here.

53 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Snow?  What's that?

Yep..no idea

we have gone from thermals on Tuesday  (OMG it got as low as 16c max)  to T-shirts and 27 (80f) yesterday and plummeted to 22 (70) today

Edited by MrsWaldo
  • Haha 2

On 9/13/2019 at 6:36 AM, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

pick-another-box-ITS-NOT-IN-THAT-ONE-EITHER.jpg.7a9fa63f5769f24d8dfd4bb80edd4ca9.jpg

Have a great day all!

This is so true!  The painters took down all my blinds, including the one by my shower, even tho' I requested that one stay.  I was looking for some curtain panels to put on a tension rod and of course couldn't find them in the 5 boxes I opened.  Not opening the other 30 in the basement.  Now have a "lovely" large towel over the bathroom window instead.  Should be on the market in about a week.  Realtor says if it settles while I'm on SS in November, she can deal with it.

Missy

• Like 1