Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

11 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Or Spam??

Den

Yes or Spam.  🙂 Balogna is very popular in Newfoundland (and in other east coast provinces).  From the article “Our bologna is also popular in provinces where many Newfoundlanders have gone to work and live, such as Cambridge and Guelph, Ont, and especially Fort McMurray, Alta. Approximately half the bologna volume from our plant in Ontario is shipped to the Atlantic provinces, and over half of that comes to this small island of only 500,000 people.” - Scott Warren of Maple Leaf Foods.

Thanks for the clarification, M and Denny01. Haven't eaten spam in years. But it is tasty.

Chris was at the dentist today so dinner was late. Had to wait for the anesthetic to wear off. So we watched a movie before dinner 

When we finally cooked, it was a quick pasta recipe, with scallops, charred scallions, tomatoes, and capers. So far I'm finding creative ways to keep up with my bumper crop of tomatoes! 

20190827_193113.thumb.jpg.80ae4d6ffd5e3392feaf2b3369a6ba3e.jpg

BLTs for lunch tomorrow? 

• Like 2

Spam, spam , spam, spam, spam wonderful spam....

We had spam fritters at school and the memory is not a good one.

Lois, do consider staying on the Ile St Louis when you visit Paris, it is so central but has a village atmosphere, with far friendlier Parisians than elsewhere in the city, also the best ice cream shop in the entire world, Berthillon.

If you have time to visit more obscure places when you are there, do consider the Musee du Cluny/Musee du Moyen Age, which houses the most wonderful set of tapestries , The lady and the unicorn.

The planning will be as much fun as the visiting

Rp

• Like 1

Hi......any of you know why the postings are not showing up when I check my "Acitivity Stream"?....weird!....

They found a spot on my right elbow and right thigh area and took a scrape of each...….will find out the results in about 2 weeks.

Off to work, check in later.

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

69449216_2405630279483989_22887092894532

Have a great day all!

Yes, I've had days like this, that's why my hair goes into a bun almost immediately.  Thank you Mysty for the funnies.  Less than 3 weeks and I'll be storming the shores of your great land... with that turncoat hubby of mine (and some Quebecois as reinforcements).  Fundy Trail, here we come!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rosepark said:

Spam, spam , spam, spam, spam wonderful spam....

We had spam fritters at school and the memory is not a good one.

Lois, do consider staying on the Ile St Louis when you visit Paris, it is so central but has a village atmosphere, with far friendlier Parisians than elsewhere in the city, also the best ice cream shop in the entire world, Berthillon.

If you have time to visit more obscure places when you are there, do consider the Musee du Cluny/Musee du Moyen Age, which houses the most wonderful set of tapestries , The lady and the unicorn.

The planning will be as much fun as the visiting

Rp

The Cluny is my FAVORITE!!!!!  I am not ashamed to admit I visited it 3 times in the week we were there in 2017.  We studied some of the holdings back in the post Middle Ages (when I was in high school) - and specifically the tapestries.  So incredible to see up close, and being that I'm a weaver now, breath-taking.  The stained glass and limoges work was also worth the admission, and if you are feeling extra spunky you can join the tour of the old Roman baths in the subbasement - it was in French only, but I was able to understand most of what she was covering.  Our hotel was just a 5 minute walk to the Cluny, so I took full advantage.   Also, Sainte Chapelle for the stained glass windows - really gorgeous.

I'm jealous Lois.  Do you need a travel companion for Paris?  I offer myself as tribute.....

7 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

Yes, I've had days like this, that's why my hair goes into a bun almost immediately.  Thank you Mysty for the funnies.  Less than 3 weeks and I'll be storming the shores of your great land... with that turncoat hubby of mine (and some Quebecois as reinforcements).  Fundy Trail, here we come!

Thanks Jan!  I think most people with hair have days like this!  🙂  Have a wonderful time on our shores!

35 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

Do you get to do a Melania, Jan, and snog that rather pretty Mr Trudeau?

Rp

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi......any of you know why the postings are not showing up when I check my "Acitivity Stream"?....weird!....

No, but I've noticed that for a while. This thread "falls off" my activity stream now and then.

2 hours ago, rosepark said:

Do you get to do a Melania, Jan, and snog that rather pretty Mr Trudeau?

Rp

Oh, no ... Mr. Trudeau is not my type, I'll stick with my very own Canadian cutie.  Of course, if I was Melania, Bernie Sanders may be looking like an upgrade 🤣

• Haha 1

On another note...Myster and I are chipping away at the to-do list for our upcoming move on September 24.  Unfortunately the chips are appearing miniscule compared to the rock face in front of us.  How do people do this 24 times?  How do people even do this more than once?  My lists of lists are chasing me into my sleep.  

emoji_update_2017_11_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqq

Hopefully we will get a handle on this soon.  Kudos to those who have braved this experience more than once!

• Like 1

16 times we've moved and 6 of those were international moves! 

Now we always get the movers to pack up so we just sit back and let them get on with it. Our last move, though, was from a large 6 bedroom property to a much smaller 3 bed one so we actually had to get our hands dirty and take trailer-loads of unwanted stuff to the dump. 

It gets easier... 

Bon courage! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tothesunset said:

16 times we've moved and 6 of those were international moves! 

Now we always get the movers to pack up so we just sit back and let them get on with it. Our last move, though, was from a large 6 bedroom property to a much smaller 3 bed one so we actually had to get our hands dirty and take trailer-loads of unwanted stuff to the dump. 

It gets easier... 

Bon courage! 

Thanks TTS!  Is there a move in your future?  Back to the home country?  We are only moving about 40 minutes away.  I can not even fathom a move across the country let alone a move to another country.  Well beyond my skill set!

There may be especially as my non-irish wife keeps sending me links to properties for sale in Westmeath, Cork, Galway etc. 

Sometimes, though, I look at the prospect of moving and think ''I'm just getting too old for this.''

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 2

One advantage of moving so often is getting rid of “stuff” regularly.  We were also lucky to have the packers come in, although our last move we packed a lot ourselves.

The longest we lived in one place was 15 years just before we came to the retirement village.  No more moves for us!

I don’t envy you, but keep chipping away and you will get there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Sometimes, though, I look at the prospect of moving and think ''I'm just getting too old for this.''

TTS.....that is exactly the way I feel!  And it seems I am starting to feel older day by day at this point.

19 minutes ago, jillyf said:

One advantage of moving so often is getting rid of “stuff” regularly.  We were also lucky to have the packers come in, although our last move we packed a lot ourselves.

The longest we lived in one place was 15 years just before we came to the retirement village.  No more moves for us!

I don’t envy you, but keep chipping away and you will get there.

Jill....you were the person I was thinking about as I posted.  I seriously do not know how you stayed sane!  Thanks for your best wishes!

Interesting discussions on packing, moving, etc.  We have been in our current ravine/city location since 1988, 31 years.  But at a future point, we will need to adjust and prepare for the next location.  

Good news this morning that San Juan and PR did not get hit hard by the hurricane.  BUT, Florida is next!!??  Looks as if Spins and Lois won't get a "direct hit", but I am sure they will feel the impacts from the rain, winds, etc.  Any other updates and details from those in Florida?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 84,898 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From this one website, they have this morning these graphics as to what is about to hit Florida.  Good luck to those in the Sunshine State.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

111386411_ScreenShot2019-08-29at9_27_29AM.thumb.png.6be063f716cd7a0632aa9e4115f1fdb4.png

Good luck to those chipping away possessions in preparation for moves.  Our daughter is much better at throwing things out than we are, so it will probably be much easier for us to stay here until we die and she inherits the house! 🤔

JP, thanks for the fever tree elderflower tonic heads up.  We did not have any Hendricks left, but it paired well with the citrus-forward gin from Black Button in Rochester, NY

On the Silversea cruise front, we received a notice yesterday that our Silver Wind cruise from Ushuaia to Cape Town in 2021 was changed from a February 15 to a March 6 sailing.  The later sailing conflicts with Passover and would not work for us.  Fortunately, we were able to change to the same itinerary on the Silver Cloud, sailing February 28, 2020.

We leave for Alaska tomorrow, for a Seabourn Sojourn cruise.  We then have a few days at home, a trip, a few days at home, and another trip.  We will be home in November, so we should be able to meet with JP and Chris, and Jan (and hubby) at the Exit 9 big annual NYS tasting.  We have not seen a date yet, but it usually is at the beginning of November.

Ann & Peter

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We leave for Alaska tomorrow, for a Seabourn Sojourn cruise.  We then have a few days at home, a trip, a few days at home, and another trip.  We will be home in November, so we should be able to meet with JP and Chris, and Jan (and hubby) at the Exit 9 big annual NYS tasting.  We have not seen a date yet, but it usually is at the beginning of November.

Ann & Peter

Have a great trip!

Let us know when the Exit 9 tasting is. I will also keep an eye on my e-mail as they send me invites to stuff too. Although we may be in Portugal - we are there Nov 8-17. If not, maybe we'll see you there!

18 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Good luck to those chipping away possessions in preparation for moves.  Our daughter is much better at throwing things out than we are, so it will probably be much easier for us to stay here until we die and she inherits the house! 🤔

Ann & Peter

I love your suggested approach!  At this point I am tempted to run away and leave everything here!  🙂