Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning...…….cute picture Mysty:classic_smile:

Question for ya'll……...I am thinking about multiple trips but this is about my TA crossing on Seabourn and after I arrive at the end, will be in Rome.  IF (still deciding) but IF I want to fly to Paris from Rome, have any of you done that? I believe I have heard of AZ AIR and it is supposed to be a budget airline around Europe. Anyone know about them? And any help would be appreciated.  I am trying to decide about taking a River Cruise on The Seine after my crossing:classic_biggrin: and I would have to get to Paris first:classic_wink:

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning...…….cute picture Mysty:classic_smile:   Question for ya'll……...I am thinking about multiple trips but this is about my TA crossing on Seabourn and after I arrive at the end, will be in Rome.  IF (still deciding) but IF I want to fly to Paris from Rome, have any of you done that? I believe I have heard of AZ AIR and it is supposed to be a budget airline around Europe. Anyone know about them? And any help would be appreciated.  I am trying to decide about taking a River Cruise on The Seine after my crossing:classic_biggrin: and I would have to get to Paris first:classic_wink:

YES, cute funny!!  Good questions from Lois about getting from the end of a cruise near Rome and going to Paris.  In doing a little checking, there are always "trade-offs" and serious logistical questions to consider.  It appears that your AZ AIR flight would go from the Rome—Ciampino International Airport  (CIA),  7.5 miles south southeast of central Rome.  Not as handy and quick to reach compared to Rome-Fiumicino Airport "Leonardo da Vinci".   Then, you would fly into Beauvais–Tillé Airport (BVA) that is located in the Picardy region and 53 miles north-northwest of Paris.  AZ AIR would be cheaper, even with the added baggage, etc., fees, but what are the "COSTS" in time and money for doing/using these somewhat "secondary" airports?  

Sounds great to be doing a Seine River cruise.  BUT, how does it all work and "flow" for you, your brain and body to make that travel be experienced?  While in Europe, I would do that French river cruise, but I would personally question how best to save a few dollars by having to deal with too stressful of a Rome to Paris air connection.  Reactions?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 29,520 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

15 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

YES, cute funny!!  Good questions from Lois about getting from the end of a cruise near Rome and going to Paris.  In doing a little checking, there are always "trade-offs" and serious logistical questions to consider.  It appears that your AZ AIR flight would go from the Rome—Ciampino International Airport  (CIA),  7.5 miles south southeast of central Rome.  Not as handy and quick to reach compared to Rome-Fiumicino Airport "Leonardo da Vinci".   Then, you would fly into Beauvais–Tillé Airport (BVA) that is located in the Picardy region and 53 miles north-northwest of Paris.  AZ AIR would be cheaper, even with the added baggage, etc., fees, but what are the "COSTS" in time and money for doing/using these somewhat "secondary" airports?  

Sounds great to be doing a Seine River cruise.  BUT, how does it all work and "flow" for you, your brain and body to make that travel be experienced?  While in Europe, I would do that French river cruise, but I would personally question how best to save a few dollars by having to deal with too stressful of a Rome to Paris air connection.  Reactions?

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 29,520 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Hi, Terry, guess I will have to continue my research:classic_smile:.....I won't be in a rush...…..I will have 4 days to get from Rome to Paris....the river cruise would start the weekend of the 15th/16th.....I arrive in Rome on May 12th...…..

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, Terry, guess I will have to continue my research:classic_smile:.....I won't be in a rush...…..I will have 4 days to get from Rome to Paris....the river cruise would start the weekend of the 15th/16th.....I arrive in Rome on May 12th...…..

Great that you have those four days to get from the Civitavecchia Port of Rome.  As you know that cruise ship port is at some distance from Rome.  With four days, you have many options, including seeing more in France, using rail for part of that connection, etc., etc.  Keep researching and planning.  What other locations in northern Italy and/or southern France are on your "must-see" places?  Would your French river cruise start out from central Paris?

From late 2018, you can see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

I haven't looked at all the details yet......but you probably know I sail on UNIWORLD in October:classic_biggrin: and I may talk to them while on board about their river cruise on The Seine:classic_smile:

As for what to see in Paris? I have never been there before! So it is all new for me!

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

As for what to see in Paris? I have never been there before! So it is all new for me!

WOW!!  So much to see and do in Paris.  BOTH in the main city, plus nearby.  Personally, I would just fly directly from the closer, main Rome airport at the end of your cruise to either de Gaulle or Orly airport, get into the main parts of Paris and start to soak it ALL up in the "City of Lights".  Plus, if your cruise ends up in Paris, I would plan for some additional time to be enjoying more there and nearby in such a great region.  Below is my quick summary of Paris:  

WHAT MAKES PARIS GREAT/UNIQUE?:   With style and sophistication, Paris is correctly proud of its cultural achievements over the centuries.   This confidence is expressed in Parisian life, including its architecture from ancient structures to controversy over Hausmann's bold late 1800's master plan and more recent modern developments.Paris has made dramatic decisions, including the Lourve with is now well-accepted glass pyramid by I. M. Pei.

Although at the heart of Europe, Paris is very individualistic and intuitive.   The city has attracted great writers artists and thinkers.   Historically, it has been a city of unrest, rebellion and revolution (an idea they helped finance in America and that lead to the sharp-edged 1789 removal of the Royal family).   Paris has a special style and soul.   It is a high-flying mix of architecture, fashion, history, idiosyncrasy, style, texture, color and atmosphere.   Paris is romantic, distinctive!

Happy to offer many more Paris and area tips and ideas!  Lots of visuals and suggestions to share when and as needed. 

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 49,100 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Lois - four days from Rome to Paris opens up many possibilities. We have been to Paris a few times so we'd take our time getting there. I think we would take a train from Rome to Lugano (Italian part of Switzerland) or maybe Lucerne. After seeing what there is to see there, I'd continue on and take the train to Paris. But there are multiple ways to make that trip.

Another thought. I think EasyJet flies from Rome to Lyon. Lyon is a really nice city, worth exploring for a few days, then from Lyon, the TGV to Paris is under 2h. EasyJet is cheap enough but luggage fees won't kill you, and they may be a little more reliable than the other line you mention. We have flown EasyJet (once) and it wasn't too bad. No experience with the other one.

Check out Rome2Rio.com to see what places offer direct flights to Paris (or elsewhere). The combinations are too numerous to go through here, but so many nice possibilities!

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Lois - four days from Rome to Paris opens up many possibilities. We have been to Paris a few times so we'd take our time getting there. I think we would take a train from Rome to Lugano (Italian part of Switzerland) or maybe Lucerne. After seeing what there is to see there, I'd continue on and take the train to Paris. But there are multiple ways to make that trip.

Another thought. I think EasyJet flies from Rome to Lyon. Lyon is a really nice city, worth exploring for a few days, then from Lyon, the TGV to Paris is under 2h. EasyJet is cheap enough but luggage fees won't kill you, and they may be a little more reliable than the other line you mention. We have flown EasyJet (once) and it wasn't too bad. No experience with the other one.

Check out Rome2Rio.com to see what places offer direct flights to Paris (or elsewhere). The combinations are too numerous to go through here, but so many nice possibilities!

Hi JP, thanks for the reply...…I had actually checked Air France and flights from Rome to Paris through them are very reasonable.  I will look at Easy Jet too.  And the airline I mentioned? I was wrong....I was really meaning Easy Jet.  Had a Sr moment:classic_wacko:

• Haha 1

Terry, I am looking to fly into Charles De Gaulle...…...and the search will be on.  But I want to chat with the folks at Uniworld too.. I know they have a pre-cruise package before the Siene Cruise and want to find out more about what they are offering.

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Terry, I am looking to fly into Charles De Gaulle...…...and the search will be on.  But I want to chat with the folks at Uniworld too.. I know they have a pre-cruise package before the Siene Cruise and want to find out more about what they are offering.

Just as a word of "caution", Paris' de Gaulle airport can have its challenges.  It's very big and sprawling.  Kind of confusing to navigate.  BUT, it is closer to main Paris and has better logistical options for getting into the central city.  YES, great to check the pre-cruise options with Uniworld.  Keep researching and checking.  The "prize" of Paris is definitely worth the time and effort to do "it" well. Since 1970, I have done in or around Paris five different times.  I can share many more Paris tips and ideas when handy and needed.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 248,375 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

CDG is not that bad to navigate, IMO. Yes, there are often terminal changes to deal with but the signage is pretty easy to follow and we've done it a bunch of times without any issues.

But if you're not changing planes, and arriving via a Schengen route such as Lois is planning, even easier. Just fly in,  pick up your bags, and leave for the city. We usually hop on the RER. 

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

CDG is not that bad to navigate, IMO. Yes, there are often terminal changes to deal with but the signage is pretty easy to follow and we've done it a bunch of times without any issues.  But if you're not changing planes, and arriving via a Schengen route such as Lois is planning, even easier. Just fly in,  pick up your bags, and leave for the city. We usually hop on the RER. 

As J.P. outlines, you might be lucky and have a relatively simple "fly in, pick up your bags, go into Paris" experience.  BUT, I can also share that de Gaulle can have its challenges, too.  My wife will never forget the difficulties in returning a rental car in June 2017 and getting back to our hotel on the airport grounds, etc.  Plus, other other previous challenges we encountered.  In my view, de Gaulle is not well-designed for the 21st Century compared to other major world airports we have experienced over the decades.  But for Lois' planning purposes, de Gaulle airport can work out OK.  Focus first on your many, many options for in and around Paris as to how best to rank your priorities in using your time there. 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,663 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Hi Mysty, love the moving day photo!  My realtor came this morning and I signed everything.  Hopefully on market in about 3 weeks, after paint, carpet, etc. done.  Are you sold yet?

Missy

8 hours ago, MHF said:

Hi Mysty, love the moving day photo!  My realtor came this morning and I signed everything.  Hopefully on market in about 3 weeks, after paint, carpet, etc. done.  Are you sold yet?

Missy

Hi Missy!  Yes we sold!  The house was listed on Thursday August 15 and we accepted a “no conditions” offer on Monday August 19th at over the asking price.  We are thrilled!  It was a very tiring process.  There were 15 viewings over the 5 days.  It became a bit of a struggle to find somewhere to go while the viewings were taking place.  I think we visited all the coffee shops in the area as well as a few of the bars.  A young couple (the wife grew up not far from our home) are the new owners.  That is exactly what I was hoping for.  We bought this house in 1980 when I was pregnant with our first child.  The circle of life!

Best wishes for a smooth, speedy and satisfactory sale for you Missy!

Good morning, have a appt at the dermatologist today...….several spots I need to have looked at (hopefully none of them are bad) but better to have them checked.....

Wish me luck.

Good luck, Lois! As long as they are still spots.

Loved the funny, M! Especially the Quebecois... One cigarette in his mouth and another in his hand - and a baguette, of course!

What kind of sandwich is shown in the Newfoundland picture?