Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning,  Terry, many of the long time rivalry games will not be played this year. That Notre Dame/USC game?

I think I heard it will be the first time since the WWII era that they don't play...............

Good morning!  It's a Saturday, but how can we tell the difference these days in comparing the weekends versus the weekdays??  The days all blend together into one big blur. It was April and now we are nearing mid July. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

468232075_ScreenShot2020-07-11at9_04_57AM.thumb.png.7e48350d76c75b1449ed189899497b26.png

1288403700_ScreenShot2020-07-11at9_06_06AM.thumb.png.8ca84ca1bc998e3725521e92173a884b.png

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  Terry, many of the long time rivalry games will not be played this year. That Notre Dame/USC game?  I think I heard it will be the first time since the WWII era that they don't play...............

Yes, much happening . . . AND NOT . . . for those of us who enjoy the fall college and pro football season.  

From ESPN website, they had this headline: “What do Pac-12 and Big Ten decisions mean for college football?” with these highlights for this question: “Are the ACC, Big 12 and SEC going to follow suit? If so, when?"  with these details in response: "It seems to be trending that way. 'Over the last few months, our conference has prepared numerous scenarios related to the fall athletics season,' ACC commissioner John Swofford said. 'The league membership and our medical advisory group will make every effort to be as prepared as possible during these unprecedented times, and we anticipate a decision by our board of directors in late July.'  One ACC source said it is 'very likely' the ACC is headed to a conference-only season but reiterated it is a week-to-week discussion that continues to evolve.'  Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN on Friday that his conference is on the same timeline as the ACC, pointing toward a decision by late July.   The SEC will discuss its options during a meeting Monday with athletic directors and league officials that was scheduled before the Big Ten's decision.”

Here are more details from this ESPN reporting: "How likely is a spring season at this point?  More likely than a couple of weeks ago, but it's still viewed as a last resort by many. A spring season raises a new batch of questions regarding player safety -- can they physically handle two seasons, even shortened ones, in one calendar year? -- the NFL draft and uncertainty about the state of the virus and a vaccine by the new year.  What does conference-only play mean for Notre Dame? The Fighting Irish have now lost three marquee games -- Wisconsin, USC and Stanford."

Full story at:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29442565/what-do-pac-12-big-ten-decisions-mean-college-football

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,562 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

5 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I am going to search for rivalry games on TV.  And pretend I don't know the outcome.

Great tip from Spins!!  I will be looking for the January 3, 2003, BCS National Championship game in Tempe, Arizona, at Sun Devil Stadium.  As I recall from being there, my Ohio State Buckeyes defeated the defending national champion Miami Hurricanes 31–24 in double overtime.  Miami came into that game with a win streak of 34 straight successful games.  It was a thrilling, fun game!!  Sorry, for rubbing it in.  You gave me the opening and encouragement.   

22 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Great tip from Spins!!  I will be looking for the January 3, 2003, BCS National Championship game in Tempe, Arizona, at Sun Devil Stadium.  As I recall from being there, my Ohio State Buckeyes defeated the defending national champion Miami Hurricanes 31–24 in double overtime.  Miami came into that game with a win streak of 34 straight successful games.  It was a thrilling, fun game!!  Sorry, for rubbing it in.  You gave me the opening and encouragement.   

Terry

Ok I'll bite.

The game you mention is known for one of the worst officiating calls ever and you know that.

It cost Miami the championship. 

Awful to watch and witness that a bad call could do so much damage. 

A life lesson.

Life ain't fair.

Fair is what you pay to get on the bus.

Edited by spinnaker2

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Terry   Ok I'll bite.   The game you mention is known for one of the worst officiating calls ever and you know that.   It cost Miami the championship.  Awful to watch and witness that a bad call could do so much damage. A life lesson.  Life ain't fair.  Fair is what you pay to get on the bus.

Understand that Spins and the Miami fans did not like that call/decision by the game officials.  Those debates over the calls in tight games happen.  Often!!  That's "life" to have those various differences of opinion.  In our area, the fans liked that call by the officials.  

177789262_ScreenShot2020-07-12at9_06_44AM.thumb.png.512c63387828679cc9404cf0de3aa606.png

402611940_ScreenShot2020-07-12at9_06_25AM.thumb.png.92f25577e03bdd4d862aacc2f2a1971f.png

39 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, anyone see the news about that Navy ship in San Diego? Looks like a major fire!!!!!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/us/ship-explosion-san-diego-naval-base/index.html

Oh my goodness Lois  I can't believe only yesterday on UK TV I was watching film Tora Tora Tora (I luv the film ) & the footage shown looks like  the ships 😢 I don't mean to sound full of gloom and how upsetting for family & friends of all concerned

My last comment was ref to a beautiful rose  ... And now this 😞

11 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

India is currently the third worst affected country after the USA and Brazil.

Hi Fletcher ( where in UK are you ?? If I can ask??)  Have you missed the funny side of zqtchas post??? Only asking 🤔

Hello Terry and other sports fans, Big 10 channel is having "school days" where they re-run thrilling games from days gone by for 1 school per day.  PSU was a few weeks ago and football players from the 1987 National Championship game were on FaceBook/Zoom providing commentary.  Quite fun to listen to their comments.  They were obviously told to keep it clean but 1 guy forgot about midnight and dropped an F bomb.  He apologized like a dozen times.  I also got to see this January's Iowa/PSU basketball game at the Palestra in Philadelphia on TV; I attended the game and forgot to tape it.  Was in the 10th row behind the bench but couldn't find me in the sea of white shirts.

Heard on the local news today that 9 U of Maryland football players tested positive for Covid so they've shut down practice.  Sigh.  I suspect fall sports and maybe baseball are a no go.

Missy

18 hours ago, zqtchas said:

FYI, no husband here, was a forward.

image (1).png

Political comment again!!  Just like the one you posted on July 4 (our day of celebration for a country blessed like no other country) showing a "Trump rally" with herded sheep.  Apparently "NO POLITICAL COMMENTS PLEASE" means nothing to you.  I reported that post...but it is still there.

• Like 1

Expecting near perfect weather here in Central Ohio today.  High of 82F, low humidity, no rain or storms, etc.  Tomorrow will be very similar.  Heavenly!!

1309095542_ScreenShot2020-07-13at8_44_48AM.thumb.png.fde8308b00ad8dd22a531f2363970509.png

1514236769_ScreenShot2020-07-13at8_45_12AM.thumb.png.d0876ecb032ca0b173f59391cd5cd5dd.png