Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

22 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

JP - we are so impressed,  our marinated lamb skewers cannot compare.

They sound delicious! Post pictures! Chris doesn't like lamb so I never bother trying to cook it at home. It's something I will often order when we eat out - or shall I say, when we USED TO eat out... 😞

Tonight I grilled some ahi (just enough for a light sear) and topped it with herbs, lemon juice, and olive oil. Some quinoa on the side. Considering that it was cheap frozen tuna from Aldi, it was really tasty!

20200629_182902.thumb.jpg.2dcb7fbfa9c0b596d9525cd294d528cf.jpg

And luckily, the rain held off until i was finished grilling.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

They sound delicious! Post pictures! Chris doesn't like lamb so I never bother trying to cook it at home. It's something I will often order when we eat out - or shall I say, when we USED TO eat out... 😞

Tonight I grilled some ahi (just enough for a light sear) and topped it with herbs, lemon juice, and olive oil. Some quinoa on the side. Considering that it was cheap frozen tuna from Aldi, it was really tasty!

20200629_182902.thumb.jpg.2dcb7fbfa9c0b596d9525cd294d528cf.jpg

And luckily, the rain held off until i was finished grilling.

I am not a rare fish person although back in 2005 When I was in Santa Margherita for my birthday I did have my first rare tuna and actually enjoyed it.  I do like rare beef but prefer medium lamb.  Sorry no photos to post since our meals are not photo worthy.  I did pair the lamb with a nice mixed rice from Wegmans.  By the way, if you ever get to Santa Margherita, there is a store you would love called Seghezzo which has an amazing assortment of things including wonderful dried porcini.

By the way, your herbs are doing really well. I watered ours yesterday, and it seems to have made a big difference.  Our cherry tomatoes are coming along nicely.  One of the unintended consequences of the isolation for us has been the rewards of beautiful flowers.  Hope yours is the same. 

• Like 2

By the way, it is so nice to be comfortable dropping names here on cc.com.  With so many of our friends and acquaintances, we dare not mention that wonderful little restaurant in... fill in the blanks.

Cc.com and the water cooler have been a wonderful respite recently!  Thanks to all,

• Like 3

Getting ready tomorrow for Canada Day and my wife's birthday.  Need to mow the lawn this am.  Have a couple of all-time, famous TV comedy greats below.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

2131133873_ScreenShot2020-06-30at8_27_42AM.thumb.png.3308f9b0eb65a2271061665e307e6a71.png

457496563_ScreenShot2020-06-30at8_27_53AM.thumb.png.3b383fcc39e24ea98a9f6c73295b9f9d.png

Hey Terry, I am sure you read that Carl Reiner passed away today........he was 98!

I was looking up some of his quotes...........this one made me laugh-----😀

"A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water. - Carl Reiner

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hey Terry, I am sure you read that Carl Reiner passed away today........he was 98!  

YES!!  Followed closely today about Carl Reiner's passing today.  Maybe I am dating myself, but my memories do go all of the way back to his involvement in the early years of television comedy in the 1950's with comedy legend Sid Caesar.  He was best known as the creator, producer, writer and actor on the Dick Van Dyke Show.  How many have heard him in the comedy duo with Mel Brooks for the "2000 Year Old Man"?  That recording is worth searching out.   How about in films such as "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".  That movie is one of my wife's all-time favorites.  More recently, he was wonderful in the Ocean's film series with George Clooney, etc  He co-wrote and directed some of Steve Martin's most successful films, plus, who can forget his success doing "Oh, God!" with George Burns, etc.  Fun, successful superstar!!  Both in front of and behind the camera.

Here on the left is Carl Reiner with his son, Rob, pictured right.  Rob was familiar to many as "Meathead" playing the son-in-law for "All in the Family" (with Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker).  His son was also seen often as an actor and a director.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1833907165_ScreenShot2020-06-30at6_53_10PM.thumb.png.7bd8ce6d711be1974a14f2b7dbfa9d49.png

Carl Reiner was a genius IMO.  Terry's list of his accomplishments would mirror many of my all time favorite movies, shows, and even audio bits like 2000 year old man.

Jonathan Winters was a huge favorite of mine years ago, but oddly, I can't remember a single thing he did apart from remembering a TV show I enjoyed.

I would like to recommend avoiding a recipe I tried last night - catfish cakes.  The idea was to replicate crab cakes for a fraction of the cost.  Didn't work for me, maybe others have had better luck.

I loved Jonathan Winters too!  Do you remember he was in Mork and Mindy?😀.......he was born out of that big egg😃

And yes, Carl was a genius........I agree!

Terry, he was actually Rob's boss in The Dick Van Dyke Show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

I would like to recommend avoiding a recipe I tried last night - catfish cakes.  The idea was to replicate crab cakes for a fraction of the cost.  Didn't work for me, maybe others have had better luck.

Thanks for the warning! I'm saving up some extra room in my clothes to try a Food and Wine recipe we saw last night - Summer crab carbonara with lemons and capers. No substitution of catfish is planned!

• Like 1

Greetings Coolers!

Today is Canada Day!  I am one very proud Canadian!  Happy Canada Day to my fellow proud Canadians!

Today's funny.....

106639682_1119866781739453_5064359492185195848_n.jpg.562b96b4e7fc6b5c41493cf9d5fd061a.jpg

Have a great safe day all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was mention earlier about Jonathan Winters.  Below is another from him, plus more from Steven Wright.   Yes, we need the good comedy voices now, more than ever!! 

Had earlier mentioned about Canada Day being shared with my wife's birthday today.  Might post a favorite Canada picture or two in honor of this special day.   

342055398_ScreenShot2020-07-01at8_21_14AM.png.b34aa72ce549da7518cf8cde40de28dc.png

1490321420_ScreenShot2020-07-01at8_20_50AM.thumb.png.6a55da29f64bf0af047c92aa696b1613.png

2 hours ago, zqtchas said:

vegs lawn-to cc.jpg

Hm, I get a thrill when chopping fresh herbs from the garden...does that count, even though I'm not a vegan?

In fact, tonight I'm going to make a skirt steak on the grill with a nice chimichurri sauce, so I'll have to gather lots of fresh herbs for that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Hm, I get a thrill when chopping fresh herbs from the garden...does that count, even though I'm not a vegan?   In fact, tonight I'm going to make a skirt steak on the grill with a nice chimichurri sauce, so I'll have to gather lots of fresh herbs for that. 

Agree 100% that J.P.'s skirt steak sounds super tasty with all of those fresh herbs, etc.  

For those who debate . . . meat-loving . . . VERSUS . . . vegetarian, below I am posting an incredibly preeminent expert.  Who?  See my source as quoted!!  Can you ask for a better, more authoritative source who is so full of knowledge? 

1521234106_ScreenShot2020-07-01at1_46_23PM.thumb.png.6f7d983abd4caf84175ff173b805d547.png

LOL......and I never watched the Simpsons.......I have a sis and bil who are 100% Vegan........so they probably

wouldn't think it was too funny..........🙂

I so agree with Homer, and love the grilled steak pic by Chas.  But, has anyone else here ever heard of mammalian meat allergy, or alpha gal syndrome?  This insidious condition makes one allergic to all mammalian meat.  So cruel.  Apparently I got it from a tick bite a couple years ago, and it is still with me.  Poultry and seafood all fine, but no real bacon, no filet mignon, veal parmigiana, etc.  Not looking for sympathy.  But, as I hope to meet many or all of you folks on a cruise someday, thought I would get this awkward bit out of the way.  (Yes, I really am ordering the chicken at this marvelous steak venue 🙂)