Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning and wanting to wish all of you Dads, Grandad's, and if you are in the Dad role in any way,  a Very Happy Father's Day.  Enjoy your Sunday Dads

Appreciate these above kind wishes for Father's Day.  As both a father and grandfather, it is nice to have that recognition and to be able to celebrate those important moments in life.  Seeing the progress and changes with a son and two grandsons is one of the "Best of the Best" parts to experience. 

Have two "classics" below.  Ben Franklin is really old, but Oscar Wilde is "new" voice from the past.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

431525977_ScreenShot2020-06-21at8_51_43AM.png.beed63caed09e0380ad78ce16fbb7bd8.png

529961132_ScreenShot2020-06-21at8_52_03AM.png.8f0f24732568d0efca4663969df3a3b0.png

Terry, ouch on that one from Oscar Wilde......my Dad always (and I mean always) tried to live within his means.........

As for lacking imagination.....?  He loved to travel and was able to do so........He was raised during the depression

and ended up doing pretty well for himself and his family. That has to count for something🙂

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Terry, ouch on that one from Oscar Wilde......my Dad always (and I mean always) tried to live within his means.........As for lacking imagination.....?   He was raised during the depression and ended up doing pretty well for himself and his family. 

Yes, your father and others who grew up during the depression have a much different view/attitude towards debt, money, risk, etc., than those of us who grew up in the 1950's and 1960's.  Many of the Baby Boomers and a little younger were "educated and influenced" during a period that pushed super strongly the ideas of consumerism, buying aggressively when it "only costs so much a month", using credit freely, etc.  Buy!  Buy!!  Buy!!!

I & DH were raised not buying something until we could pay for it, we use credit cards mainly for convenience. Except for the first car, everyone was paid when we got it, also the RVs. Our house, of course was financed, but paid off ASAP. I had a savings account at the bank starting in elementary school, all birthday, Christmas checks went into it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silkismom said:

I & DH were raised not buying something until we could pay for it, we use credit cards mainly for convenience. Except for the first car, everyone was paid when we got it, also the RVs. Our house, of course was financed, but paid off ASAP. I had a savings account at the bank starting in elementary school, all birthday, Christmas checks went into it. 

Hi🙂 maybe Ocsar Wilde came from a different place than many of us.......I don't see how living within one's means

has anything to do with lacking imagination..............

20 hours ago, silkismom said:

Delighted to see a post with COMMEN SENSE at the heart of it !!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, silkismom said:

Super cute and interesting "funnies" above from mysty and zqtchas.  Around Father's Day, it is bad form to murder your husband.  Even if we "deserve it" at times.   Also, those certain violent protestors did not get the text message telling them to destroy their own property.  However, they will tell you they do not have much "property" to destroy as a reason for doing certain of these violent acts.  That's a whole, another discussion/debate about protesting versus destroying.  Protesting is protecting by the First Amendment.  

On spending and "imagination", we use credit cards for convenience.  In fact, we use credit cards for EVERYTHING!!  But, we pay it off in full each month.  Want to evade those very high interest rates.  Plus, get the Frequent Flyer miles that allow us, at times, to fly business class to distant locations.  These days, credit cards are also much safer to protect against the Covid-19 risks than messing with paper money and coins.  Oscar Wilde's definition of "living beyond your means" involves the "creativity" in experiencing the "HIGH LIFE" when you cannot afford it.  Nice to do if you can get away with it.  

Below are a couple of additional contemporary comic voices.  Have seen Steve Martin performing once in person.  It was with Martin Short and they are such a dynamic and totally fun team.  Steve kept needling Martin Short for not winning the various Grammy, movie and comedy awards that he had won. Their show was titled: "An Evening You Will Forget for the Rest of Your Life."   I remember the exciting program very well!!   Love Lily Tomlin as Ernestine, that brash, tough and aggressive telephone operator treating customers with little sympathy.  Both super creative, innovative performers.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,594

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

1963578759_ScreenShot2020-06-22at8_54_52AM.thumb.png.5774c6e2787bd55bd8275d0af8638bf6.png

1227717741_ScreenShot2020-06-22at9_11_05AM.thumb.png.d893ba51a4f73b293562608af387282d.png

Edited by TLCOhio

Below was yesterday's Father's Day dinner at the nearby Polaris Grill.  As always, their food was excellent and we super enjoyed being safer outside on their roomy outdoor patio.  Had Flounder Imperial with crab meat and scallop stuffing, plus dauphinoise potatoes, extra sauce and green beans.  Plus, an appetizer of corn crab chowder.  Totally wonderful with great tastes, textures, etc.  

IMG_5233.thumb.jpeg.3fc202b4dbc0752a73680f1c921b09aa.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

It's from Ted Nugent....

Not. 🙂

just some sappy encouragement

Hi, oh....ok...that last line sounded like something Bogart would have said🙂

It's raining hard now in Central Ohio.  The grass needs the rain, but I would prefer the sunshine. 

Below are a couple of comedy classic voices.  

1020379126_ScreenShot2020-06-23at9_29_40AM.thumb.png.2691fb0fd0f3eef38f628931adb160db.png

79368842_ScreenShot2020-06-23at9_29_24AM.thumb.png.93fa4d15e168224176be3b108661f50e.png

On 5/25/2020 at 5:02 PM, TLCOhio said:

YES, to our western Pennsylvania "neighbor", you win the prize for your correct guess/speculation.   That building in the background of my small picture is Ohio's State Capitol.  Below is a picture of the larger view from my office window on the 12th floor of the building south of Capitol Square. Ohio's State Capitol was built in the 1840-60 period and has some a couple good Abraham Lincoln connection.  In early 1861 on his way to Washington, he stopped in Columbus and spoke to a joint session of the Ohio Legislature. During the time he was in the Ohio Governor's office on that day, Lincoln received a telegram telling him that the election had been certified by the Electoral College and that he was officially the President-elect. Four years and two months later, Lincoln would lie in state in the Ohio Capitol Rotunda after his assassination.  His body traveled back through Columbus on the way to Illinois for burial.

Mr. Terry's information made me think that you could write a whole book just about Lincoln's trip from Springfield to Washington for his inauguration.  Well, Someone just did!  "Briefly Noted" in the New Yorker magazine recommends "Lincoln on the Verge" by Ted Widmer (Simon & Schuster, 2020) which talks about that trip and how it formed Lincoln's growth as a statesman.  I'll bet Columbus is more than "briefly noted."

2 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

Mr. Terry's information made me think that you could write a whole book just about Lincoln's trip from Springfield to Washington for his inauguration.  Well, Someone just did!  "Briefly Noted" in the New Yorker magazine recommends "Lincoln on the Verge" by Ted Widmer (Simon & Schuster, 2020) which talks about that trip and how it formed Lincoln's growth as a statesman.  I'll bet Columbus is more than "briefly noted."

Great above "starting-the-morning" shower picture from Spins.  Fun and interesting. Keep it coming with these wonderful visuals!!

Appreciate the nice, above follow-up from dawntrdr, our Pennsylvania neighbor.  Yes, Lincoln did do more in Columbus on his way to be the next President.  His first visit was in September 1859, when:  "He spoke for more than 2 hours on the issue of slavery to a group of about 50 people standing outside on the east steps of the Statehouse. Today there is a marker next to where Lincoln made his remarks attached to one of the buildings massive columns that is now enclosed in the Atrium."  Why so few turned out for Lincoln in 1859?  Lincoln was little known nationally at that time and also at this time, the governor of Ohio, Salmon P. Chase, was also considering a run for President.  Chase went on to be Lincoln's key Secretary of the Treasury figuring out ways to finance the war against the South.  Then, in 1864, Lincoln appointed Chase as the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.  Chase National Bank, a predecessor of Chase Manhattan Bank now JPMorgan Chase, was named in his honor, though he had no affiliation or financial interest.  Chase was one of the "Team of Rivals" referenced in historian Doris Kearns Goodwin's famed book. 

People forget that in those days, U.S.  Presidents did not take office till March after the November election. On his way to Washington to take that oath, his stop in Columbus also included his speech to a joint session of the Ohio Legislature in the House Chamber.  Over the decades, I have spent much time in and around that legislative chamber and the Ohio Statehouse.  Those historic connections to Lincoln are fascinating.  

More detail at:

http://touringohio.com/central/franklin/columbus/statehouse-lincoln.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,371 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

1253083002_Screenshot_20200623-1611512.thumb.png.b6894cd45fb50eec4b603a5e932f643f.png

Ok who am I kidding..

I would rather be on a cruise, watching the endless horizon of the sea,  with my feet on the rail and a glass of champagne in my hand.

It was fun for a while. Now I'm just getting fat!

• Haha 1