Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

My bit of joy for today.....we got a Christmas tree!  OK, I know it is ridiculously early for this.  Our apartment is a good size for us and is no how big enough to accommodate a tree of any real proportions.  I searched online and found something perfect for us.  Local store inventory on line said 4 available.  Off we went to get this tree.  I decorated it with some of my mother's old paste jewelry.  It will sit on a small table under our living room window for the Christmas season.  Small things make me happy these days.

123122227_1149519948831638_5087666197094922068_n.jpg.390d9c40478860c23eca70080c7ce80c.jpg

• Like 6

Very cute, M! It's about the size of a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, but much fuller!

It's all about what males you and Myster happy. We will get ours during Thanksgiving week.

Enjoying a most unusual wine tonight. Cashmere Black, a California blend of Alicante Bouschet and Petite Sirah. Super dark and flavorful. Will go deliciously with the burgers that I'm about to slap on the grill!

Bunus Cooler points to the first one who knows where Alicante Bouschet comes from, and double bonus if you've drunk it. @Stumblefoot?

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Enjoying a most unusual wine tonight. Cashmere Black, a California blend of Alicante Bouschet and Petite Sirah. Super dark and flavorful. Will go deliciously with the burgers that I'm about to slap on the grill!

JP,

The 3-Day Short Ribs will be served @ 8:00p tonight paired with a 2013 100% Petite Sirah from Carlisle using grapes harvested from the Palisades vineyard near Calistoga, CA.  That vineyard nearly burned this fall, but thankfully was spared mother nature's wrath.  The wine is currently being decanted and will have a 4-hour exposure in order to soften those tannins.

I've definitely heard of Alicante Bouschet, but don't remember ever having it.  I even did a quick search of our collection and I didn't find it in any of our blends.  So, you'll have to educate me!

• Like 2

Hi jp     Intrigued by your grape, which I admit to not having heard of, so I have done a bit of research.  Correct me if it is wrong.  First planted near Nimes in the 1850s,  but from the 1880s grown at Herdade do Mouchao in Portugal, and usually a wine from Portugal these days.  Odd that it has a name with a Spanish city in?

The important thing is, is it delicious, did it go with your burgers, and may  I have my $1,000 dollar prize?

Lola

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Hi jp     Intrigued by your grape, which I admit to not having heard of, so I have done a bit of research.  Correct me if it is wrong.  First planted near Nimes in the 1850s,  but from the 1880s grown at Herdade do Mouchao in Portugal, and usually a wine from Portugal these days.  Odd that it has a name with a Spanish city in?

The important thing is, is it delicious, did it go with your burgers, and may  I have my $1,000 dollar prize?

Lola

It sure is an interesting one. I did not realize that it's a teinturier grape, one in which the flesh, as well as the skin, is colored red. But that's why it's so dark. The only other teinturier I knew of is Saperavi. One of our favorite Finger Lakes wineries makes that varietal. Very unusual; it's from Georgia (the country) and we found one on the wine list at a Georgian restaurant in Kyiv.

I don't know how it picked up the moniker from Alicante, but Bouschet is the name of the Frenchman who developed it.

We drank plenty of this last year when we were in the Alantejo region of Portugal. The wines there are so good, and so inexpensive. Even in restaurants, it's easy to find good wine for €15-20 per bottle, and often less. The first time I looked at a restaurant's wine list, I thought it was the price per glass.

But to answer your questions - yes, it was delicious, and yes, it went very well with the burgers.

20201027_183310.thumb.jpg.65333fa891b0aa73bbfbe12d3e445bed.jpg

And yes, you can claim your prize of 1,000 Cooler Points since you told me where it was from. They are good for virtual drinks at the bar! 🙂. It would have been 2000, had you ever drunk some of it.

Off to work soon. Have a great day all!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Some orchids that decided to bloom late or very early!  Everything was bathed in a pink light this morning at sunrise. 

Nice orchids from Spins!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1003458927_ScreenShot2020-10-28at10_30_53AM.png.9cd1ff54e2afa552f73901fd0d8c1e1d.png

1232295134_ScreenShot2020-10-28at10_31_11AM.thumb.png.6ec21e51a5d756828977d588df1dd5f7.png

On 10/24/2020 at 8:12 AM, lincslady said:

Oh Jan how I love that - I came on to CC after just trying to order something online, and trying to remember which of my 3 passwords I had used!  Succeeded in the end, and will soon be the proud owner of 4 new winter nightdresses.  (Just hope they fit).

Lola

Lola, I hope they fit as well.  If not, let me know and I will happily fire up the sewing machine for you.  It's been lonely lately, and I'm trying to work up the energy to make something, which will most likely be a cute little doggie cover to cute Mr. Cutiepie dry when carnage is raining from the skies this winter.   It's not about keeping him warm, he has a fur coat, it's the soaking wet on top of it being cold that worries me.  Plus, less mess to mop up when he races inside.

• Like 1

mysty - look forward to your funnies every day (and everyone else's) but it has just struck me that wherever you are in Canada it must be very early in the morning??

I do find myself sometimes waking up far too early, and having a look online before having a cup of tea and sometimes going off to sleep again!  No one wants to get up in the dark.

Lola

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, lincslady said:

mysty - look forward to your funnies every day (and everyone else's) but it has just struck me that wherever you are in Canada it must be very early in the morning??

I do find myself sometimes waking up far too early, and having a look online before having a cup of tea and sometimes going off to sleep again!  No one wants to get up in the dark.

Lola

Even when its light outside, I feel that lately I am getting up in the dark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Lola

I was up at 6:40 this morning.  And yes it was dark.  Our clocks don't go back until this Sunday early morning (2:00 am).  Currently we are 6 hours behind you.