Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

The beautiful island of Samos in Greece has suffered an earthquake and mini tsunami. First reports are no injuries but much damage with many aftershocks. The island of Ikaria also has damage.

The city of Izmir in Turkey has had buildings collapse.

The epicenter was north of Samos in the sea.

17 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The beautiful island of Samos in Greece has suffered an earthquake and mini tsunami. First reports are no injuries but much damage with many aftershocks. The island of Ikaria also has damage.

The city of Izmir in Turkey has had buildings collapse.

The epicenter was north of Samos in the sea.

I read this a few minutes ago and thought of you spins!  Hope all is well!

• Like 1

This is a tasty dish, one of those one-pot wonders which I like, though it takes bit of prep before that.  It's a recipe from one of Britain's finest chefs, Simon Hopkinson.  You take a bag of freshest mussels, de-beard and wash them, discarding those which are open or are cracked.  Then throw them into a hot pan with 250ml of fino sherry, cook for a few minutes, then tip them into a strainer and shell them.  A few obstinate ones won't open so discard them as well.  You should have about 400ml of sherry stock left.  Strain it of the grit.

Next, in olive oil gently fry a mix of chopped tomato, pimento, garlic, curry powder, dried chilli.  Add 200g paella rice, then the stock and a large pinch of saffron.  Add the mussels and cook in a medium oven for 20 mins. Take out of the oven and rest for 5 mins, then add a big knob of butter and parsley, cover with a tea-cloth and rest for another five mins.  Viola!

DSC_0002.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thank you Mysty.

I heard from 2 cousins and they are ok but terrified.

They are experiencing aftershocks.

There are deaths and many in Turkey where the buildings just pancaked.

2020 continues.

Thoughts are with you and your family spins!  This kind of event at the best of times is horrendous and these are no where near the best of times!  I hope the folks involved manage to make their way!

58 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thank you Mysty.

2020 continues.

And we need a different button!  I could absolutely not pick any of the three options.

• Like 1

I have been struggling with this issue for a while now.  Please understand that no criticism is intended with this post.  If the powers that be are monitoring this thread, which I suspect they are because sometimes Cooler Denizens wander off piste,  I respectfully suggest that more options be made available for responses to posts.  Currently there are no appropriate responses via buttons other than "like", "laugh" or "thanks".   If no appropriate reaction is available people may not be able to express support for things like flooding in your home, or difficulties dealing with the virus situation or loss of a loved one.  That does not mean they don't care!  It just means they may not have access to an appropriate "reaction" to a post.  I don't think CC needs a hundred different reaction options.  I just feel that a few more would help.  Stepping off the soap box now!  🥰

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Why a button? What’s wrong with words?

Not trying to criticise, just puzzled. 

There are people who do not feel comfortable posting.  They react with buttons.  When button options are limited they don't have options.  Everyone has a different comfort level.  It would be nice to accommodate folks who want to express their reaction within their level of comfort.

• Like 2

Um...

9 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Why a button? What’s wrong with words?

Its not what's wrong with words for me, its what's wrong with my ability to express myself verbally at times.

Its a desire to let you know I'm behind you, even if I don't know the right words to say.

If we were on deck overlooking the sea, I think I could non-verbally express my feelings of care...a button may be a poor substitute for that, but I wish it was an option.

Thinking it over, why not both?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Um...

Its not what's wrong with words for me, its what's wrong with my ability to express myself verbally at times.

Its a desire to let you know I'm behind you, even if I don't know the right words to say.

If we were on deck overlooking the sea, I think I could non-verbally express my feelings of care...a button may be a poor substitute for that, but I wish it was an option.

Thinking it over, why not both?

Well said Que!  One option does not take anything away from the other!  Another option is not a bad thing to my mind.  Kind of like a virtual hug!

Edited by mysty
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thank you Mysty.

2020 continues.

Hi Spins, glad your cousins are ok. Thinking of you and yes, 2020 is just a PITA👎

• Like 1

We are in NY City for the day. Drove down this afternoon and parked around 23rd. Walked to Bryant Park and enjoyed the sunshine. Not as crowded as usual.

20201031_141130.thumb.jpg.245004edcde8dc40d7e7e8e0eeada585.jpg

They are setting up the Christmas markets and the ice rink is already open. 

Back down to 23rd for a late lunch at Eataly. The rooftop bar was really nicely decorated. 

20201031_151928.thumb.jpg.3232e9c8002c2879d5e927b9476b53de.jpg

Chris enjoyed a Sicilian Rosado. We both sported our SS expedition jackets. It's the best we can do nowadays. 

20201031_153558.thumb.jpg.050771250f961b7fd52b6492eb3c4fd7.jpg

I had a pork shank that was huge. And so tasty. We also had some calamari, a nice beet salad, and a butternut squash pasta. I'm stuffed.

20201031_155630.thumb.jpg.2ee19ac6c8a148ec85fd5776d9d2a522.jpg

Once we finish our cappuccinos we will head back down and do some serious shopping. I am like a kid in a candy store here. We already previewed our purchases before lunch. I have my eye on a 25-oz jar of salted capers...

And then some other 25-oz bottles. With liquid. 🍷

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 6