Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

34 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

If a man expresses a thought in a forest and there is no woman nearby to hear him, is he still wrong? 

I presume that is a rhetorical question.

Lois, the Grande Bretagne is a lovely old fashioned hotel right in the middle of Athens - perfect if your cruise line includes it in the flights and transfers, but otherwise a bit on the pricey side.

Lola

• Haha 1

Hi Lola, thanks...I looked at that place.......way more than I want to spend and besides the transfers, my rep is paying for my hotel too.😃.........so I am just going to stay at The Intercontinental.

The Intercontinental looks like a nice hotel but we didn't care for the location relative to the sights we wanted to see. So it was Grande Bretagne for us.

Last time, I used SPG points. Much better!

I'm sure you will enjoy it Lois! 

Edited by jpalbny

Lois - we would never have stayed there if it had not been the included place for b and b in our flights and transfers deal (with a different line, I have to say!)  I seem to remember our flight got in too late to board the ship that day, so the stay was included.  Breakfast on the top floor, with view of the Parthenon. and about twenty different types of yogurt and Greek honey was exquisite,  and we had a casual meal in the foyer area the night before which was recommended as one portion being enough for two, which it was, by lovely staff who were not at all pompous as you might have expected, and a room fit for a stately home.  You know how some things just stay in your mind for always, like having lunch on deck on  this ship anchored off Santorini,  just looking up at the cliff and eating  tempura with a crisp NZ sauvignon blanc.  Wish I were there now.

But the important thing is being able to go to Greece, and on a cruise, after all we have been through.  Enjoy!!   to use a ghastly modern  expression.

Lola

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

The Intercontinental looks like a nice hotel but we didn't care for the location relative to the sights we wanted to see. So it was Grande Bretagne for us.

Last time, I used SPG points. Much better!

I'm sure you will enjoy it Lois! 

Hi JP, so nice to hear from you😃......I had sent you a post a while back and never received a reply...wasn't sure if I had said something wrong or you just missed it.

I agree it is probably not in the most central location but I feel like for one night I will be good.

I had done some research about private tours and found a culinary tour. Hoping that it works out😃

I arrive in Greece at 10:30am.......not sure how long it will take to get through customs, luggage

and get to the hotel........I found an afternoon tour they will do for 3 hours.  They will send a car to pick me up and bring me back.

By the time that is over, the day will be gone LOL.......staying at the Intercontinental for free will be good.

We look at pre and post cruise hotels a bit differently.  Unless they are included by Silversea, we go for location, location, location.  I love a hotel that is convenient and has a good view.  Given how much a day on Silversea costs even in a Vista, not too many  hotels cost that much even with breakfast and possibly dinner thrown in.  We have had great success staying on the Concierge floor especially in Singapore where breakfast and cocktails were included.  Throw in Amex Platinum extras, and many hotels become much more reasonable.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

I agree, usually location is very important. But in this case, I am just going with the Intercontinental........it is a free bee so it is really all good.😃 

• Like 1

The Grande Bretagne is my favorite in Athens. As others have mentioned, the location is perfect; add  breakfast with an amazing view, lovely rooms and excellent service.  And as JP noted, a stay there can be free if you have points in the hotel program (used to be SPG; now Marriott program points). 

But free as in your rep is picking up the bill is also hard to beat 🙂

36 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

The Grande Bretagne is my favorite in Athens. As others have mentioned, the location is perfect; add  breakfast with an amazing view, lovely rooms and excellent service.  And as JP noted, a stay there can be free if you have points in the hotel program (used to be SPG; now Marriott program points). 

But free as in your rep is picking up the bill is also hard to beat 🙂

Hi,🙂 I don't have any points with any hotels. And yes, that hotel looks lovely. Maybe another time. 

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

...it was Grande Bretagne for us.

We’re with you and never stay anywhere else than the GB!  Rooms are classy and comfortable, service is top notch, breakfast is over the top, nice pool and bar, views to die for, and located right in the center of all the action.  

1 hour ago, zqtchas said:

Mysty is this true?

social fm ccrc.png

59 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

chas, is that a fotomat?

It's probably Tim Hortons.   Canada's favourite coffee.   And no!  At Timmy's the cars are not socially distanced otherwise there might be some very UnCanadian honking!  😁

• Like 1

Reminiscing about hotels - does anyone have memories of special, quirky hotels in Europe?  We are inclined through laziness/being cheapskates to go with the flow with those included on cruise packages, and occasionally you hit on something interesting.  Another one we loved, but many did not, was the Negresco in Nice; old and with lots of history, where we had three included nights once after a cruise.  You do tend to have fond memories of this type of place, whereas a night at the usual cookie-cutter place may be comfortable and fine, but does not leave a lasting impression.  

(It is 6 a.m., and I am killing time until the morning paper arrives).

Hope all  coolers have a good, safe, day.

Lola

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Reminiscing about hotels - does anyone have memories of special, quirky hotels in Europe?

One that we liked is the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice.   Some feel that the location, on Guidecca Island rather than near either St. Mark's or Piazzale Roma, is out of the way – but we found it a delightful quiet oasis that is never full of tourists.  And because it's a historic flour mill that was converted to a hotel, the rooms are very large by European standards.  Plus it's a Hilton, so we have always been able to stay there [and get upgraded] on points.  It wouldn't be good if you are going a quick blitz (because of the location), but for a leisurely stay it's perfect.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One that we liked is the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice.

We stayed at the Hilton Molina Stucky for an extended visit once and really enjoyed the hotel and location.  Plus the rooftop restaurant had a great view of the canal and city.  Their private boat also provided a very relaxing transit service between the hotel and city allowing us to come and go as pleased.

• Like 1