Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

We went to the scheduled Robbie Burns dinner at Black Tartan Kitchen last night.  We normally walk there but Mother Nature decided we didn't really need the exercise.  Instead She upended the skies and snow fell from afternoon on.  It's still snowing now.  Cab it was!

The evening was an absolute delight.  There was a very entertaining gentleman and his wife (BRIAN McQUEENIE and THERESA McGOLDRICK) from Oui Dram to describe the scotches on offer and the history of each. He also performed the Address to the Haggis.  Magical!

https://www.ouidram.com/

The meal consisted of 4 courses with a scotch dram paired with each.  Here is the menu with the scotch pairings....

715230112_image0(6).jpg.6d209e1acadcb594d00915b5c926af85.jpg

First course was Cullen Skink.....

1066730431_image2(3).jpeg.8341fb36fa75080c0c67f9643189089d.jpeg

2nd Course was Scott-ish Pie.....

2139060900_image3(3).jpg.ef4c498e74d77c1ff1600c2ab327c0c4.jpg

3rd course was Beef Striploin.....

346721460_image4(2).jpg.8978f0a189d7d307649a053672818b28.jpg

Last course was Sticky Toffee Pudding.....

2047450199_image5(2).jpg.79426653c32e45f0450ea63e0d0d85a4.jpg

Although the weather gods did not smile the gods of culinary certainly made up for that!  Awesome evening!

• Like 9

Now....as for the diabolical crossword menu......we had 4 of the courses presented in the crossword (2, 4, 5, and 7).  And with huge help from the wonderful chef Ian the crossword is now solved.  Thanks go to the Cooler folks who valiantly came to my assistance   @Daveywavey70 @broker1217 @drron29

1 Down - Charcuterie

2 Across- Cullenskink

3 Across - Salad

4 Across - Haggis

5 Down - Beef

6 Down - Shortbread

7 Across - Butterscotch

The final puzzle is "The crosswords were hard enough before a certain SCOTTISH BAIRD got involved.

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Now....as for the diabolical crossword menu......we had 4 of the courses presented in the crossword (2, 4, 5, and 7).  And with huge help from the wonderful chef Ian the crossword is now solved.  Thanks go to the Cooler folks who valiantly came to my assistance   @Daveywavey70 @broker1217 @drron29

1 Down - Charcuterie

2 Across- Cullenskink

3 Across - Salad

4 Across - Haggis

5 Down - Beef

6 Down - Shortbread

7 Across - Butterscotch

The final puzzle is "The crosswords were hard enough before a certain SCOTTISH BAIRD got involved.

The dinner looked as amazing as ever, although I think I would have gone for the wine pairings instead of the whisky. But — which dish involved shortbread?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The dinner looked as amazing as ever, although I think I would have gone for the wine pairings instead of the whisky. But — which dish involved shortbread?

We didn't get to sample course #5 so I can't be sure.  Usually it's a sorbet dish of some kind.  

We went to BTK with another couple last night and the lady of the couple had wine instead of the Scotch.  She was quite pleased with the suggested wines.

The dinner looks lovely, Mysty - but not sure why Scottish pie?  We usually just call it haggis, tatties and neeps round these parts.  I have to admit Scottish cuisine is not usually one of my favourites, but this presentation makes it look very tempting.

Lola

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I sent a message to Chef Ian about your question.   His response..... "The palate cleanser on the 7-course meal was the scottish shortbread with house made clotted cream, blood orange & local honey marmalade, orange & honey merringue, blood orange sorbet and orange cotton candy."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mysty said:

I sent a message to Chef Ian about your question.   His response..... "The palate cleanser on the 7-course meal was the scottish shortbread with house made clotted cream, blood orange & local honey marmalade, orange & honey merringue, blood orange sorbet and orange cotton candy."

There should be a YUM button  !!  🤭

• Like 1