Will a laptop fit in the safe in a Getaway room

megnyc

will it fit an ipad? or good camera?

Yes as to both, but in my opinion it is overkill. I do not believe that I have ever read a post on CC of anyone having any electronics or cameras stolen on any cruise ship. We never put that type of stuff in the safe, but maybe we are just lucky, though I suspect that the crew is not going to do anything stupid to jeopardize their jobs, especially since there is no place to get rid of stolen merchandise on the ships.

will it fit an ipad? or good camera?

Cell phones - Tablets - laptops with detachable key boards ? OK -

Full size DSR cameras* video and still frame with external battery pack OK.

* may have to detach super length telephoto lens.

For Laptops larger than 12 inches right away it is a questionable issue.

Laptops perhaps slipped into the safe on a diagonal - but depth becomes a problem.

As previously posted by BirdTravels leave it in your suitcase and the comments

by zqvol have very worthy merits - the NCL crew is not going to risk employment issues.

ONE BIG suggestion if you leave your equipment out on the cabin counter/desk

and it can be seen from guests passing in the passageway corridor with your

cabin door open during cabin attendant cleaning - this is a prime invitation for the

snatch and grab person bold enough to steal in this fashion.

So hide your items out of view - no invitation - no problem.

You don't read much if any reports of theft on cruise ships - for the most part it is items

that are lost and then found with stories to be told about that.

Nobody is going to take/touch your laptop. You could put a "free" sign on it in your cabin and it will still be there every day when you get back. don't sweat it if it doesn't fit. My safe was broken on my last cruis eand wouldn't close ..... no issues.

How big are the safes in the cabins? Will it fit a 15inch laptop?

I actually took a picture of my sunglasses sitting in our safe. We were on the getaway and staying in a haven room. No, our laptops did not fit. There is a picture of it at this link, under the master bedroom section. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally get the desire to lock up your laptop. Inside an empty suitcase with a luggage lock is a good idea, add a cable lock through the handles and the frame of the bed to make it really secure. But I also agree there is very little report of theft. However, there is a lot of turnover of staff, and you never know when you will run into someone desperate enough, so I hid mine well when I took one... now I take only my iPad and that fits in the safe.

Whether it's a high end tablet/iPad, pricey iPhone X or top tiered smartphone, or laptop/notebook PC (travel Chromebook) - setup a strong 6 digits+ PIN code (alpha-numeric is better/stronger, or biometric unlocking) to prevent casual "guests" from logging into the device. If remote tracking is supported & enabled, it's easier to disable should it get lost or stolen, etc.

Encryption of the drive/partition(s) with data storage also make it difficult for anyone to hack it for useful info.

The common sense practice of keeping it out of sight when not in use is simple or easy ... short of taking along a Kensington cable lock & bolting it inside a hardened case and other "extreme" measure. Even if someone managed to put their hands/fingers on it, they can power it on at most, but cannot finishing booting up to use it - rendering it useless, mostly.

I usually travel with a Sony Viao 11.6" NB and it typically fit inside most stateroom safe on cruise ships, including NCL - the hardware isn't too expensive to replace. What I safeguard is any and all important info/data/pictures stored inside ... frequent backup, offline & cloud storage ... for easier disaster/damage recovery.