Help me choose :)

brookeq

Our extended family has decided its time for a family cruise. Our group will consists of at least three families of 4. Two have kids in the 8-10 range. My other two sisters have kids who will be three and one. My older sister and her 20 somethings may come. And my Mom will come. So anywhere from 17 - 25 people.

We are looking at January and February cruises to leave our cold weather but avoid spring break

I have sailed on mainly carnival(Dream, Breeze, conquest and few older ones), did one disney, one celebrity, one NCL, and one Costa cruise.

My one sister has only sailed Disney. So that makes me nervous. Everyone else has never cruised.

Since we have been on many cruises I try to find ones that go to new islands. I really want to do the ABC islands. Esp Bonaire to snorkel. Rest of family just wants to go to warm nice beaches.

I have been put in charge.

Here are the cruises we are looking at:

Magic -- 8 days. from Ft. Lauderdale Aruba Curacao Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk

Only downfall is my husband is a baby and will be cold at Half Moon Cay in January. Ha ha. (even though we love it there) And we have been to Grand Turk many times. But its a good stop for my sisters with little ones. (easy). We Like that it leaves Ft. Lauderdale (south west goes there and we have points)

Magic -- 8 days from Ft. Lauderdale Aruba Curacao La Romana and Grand Turk

Similar to above. La Romana intrigues me since I haven't been there. I have been to Amber Cove and we loved our waterfall excursion. My Brother in law isn't sold on this port. There isn't as much info on it on the boards.

Fascination -- 7 days from San Juan St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas, St Lucia, Barbados

Ship doesn't have everything like ropes course and stuff the kids like. 5 island is fun. We have been to the first three ports but I have wanted to go to St. Lucia and Barbados. Leaving from San Juan is a better harder but not too bad.

Horizon -- 8 days from miami Aruba Curacao La Romana and Grand Turk

A bit more money then the magic for same itinerary but newer ship. Three new islands for us.

Now I know this is a Carnival board but we are also looking at 2 other cruises on other lines.

Royal Caribbean -- Adventure of the Seas 8 nights. Aruba Curacao and Bonaire. from Ft. Lauderdale

I have never sailed Royal but haven't wanted to try it. I like that it goes to all three ABC without having to leave from Puerto Rico. But it has lots of sea days. Its not the newest Royal ship but it seems to have lots of fun things.

NCL -- Epic 7 days from San Juan. Aruba Curacao Bonaire St Kitts and St Lucia

I like this itinerary best. All new islands for us except St. Kitts. But this cruise is by far the most expensive. Their are no interior rooms for families of 4 (which we usually get). We would have to upgrade to balcony or suite. But you do get the "free" choices of alcohol, dining, etc. We would get 2 and $140 on board credit. I am not sold on the freestyle dining. I like having the set time to eat. We did it with 20+ people on Carnival and it was nice to get together at dinner. (set time). It would be hard to do freestyle with such a big group.

Most people I have talked to about cruises, when they have never been balk at cruises 7 days and longer. If you can get them all to agree to a 7 or 8 day, you are doing great. It seems like you know as much about cruising as you need to convince them. I don't understand what input you are looking for.

Our extended family has decided its time for a family cruise. Our group will consists of at least three families of 4. Two have kids in the 8-10 range. My other two sisters have kids who will be three and one. My older sister and her 20 somethings may come. And my Mom will come. So anywhere from 17 - 25 people.

We are looking at January and February cruises to leave our cold weather but avoid spring break

I have sailed on mainly carnival(Dream, Breeze, conquest and few older ones), did one disney, one celebrity, one NCL, and one Costa cruise.

My one sister has only sailed Disney. So that makes me nervous. Everyone else has never cruised.

Since we have been on many cruises I try to find ones that go to new islands. I really want to do the ABC islands. Esp Bonaire to snorkel. Rest of family just wants to go to warm nice beaches.

I have been put in charge.

Here are the cruises we are looking at:

Magic -- 8 days. from Ft. Lauderdale Aruba Curacao Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk

Only downfall is my husband is a baby and will be cold at Half Moon Cay in January. Ha ha. (even though we love it there) And we have been to Grand Turk many times. But its a good stop for my sisters with little ones. (easy). We Like that it leaves Ft. Lauderdale (south west goes there and we have points)

Magic -- 8 days from Ft. Lauderdale Aruba Curacao La Romana and Grand Turk

Similar to above. La Romana intrigues me since I haven't been there. I have been to Amber Cove and we loved our waterfall excursion. My Brother in law isn't sold on this port. There isn't as much info on it on the boards.

Fascination -- 7 days from San Juan St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas, St Lucia, Barbados

Ship doesn't have everything like ropes course and stuff the kids like. 5 island is fun. We have been to the first three ports but I have wanted to go to St. Lucia and Barbados. Leaving from San Juan is a better harder but not too bad.

Horizon -- 8 days from miami Aruba Curacao La Romana and Grand Turk

A bit more money then the magic for same itinerary but newer ship. Three new islands for us.

Now I know this is a Carnival board but we are also looking at 2 other cruises on other lines.

Royal Caribbean -- Adventure of the Seas 8 nights. Aruba Curacao and Bonaire. from Ft. Lauderdale

I have never sailed Royal but haven't wanted to try it. I like that it goes to all three ABC without having to leave from Puerto Rico. But it has lots of sea days. Its not the newest Royal ship but it seems to have lots of fun things.

NCL -- Epic 7 days from San Juan. Aruba Curacao Bonaire St Kitts and St Lucia

I like this itinerary best. All new islands for us except St. Kitts. But this cruise is by far the most expensive. Their are no interior rooms for families of 4 (which we usually get). We would have to upgrade to balcony or suite. But you do get the "free" choices of alcohol, dining, etc. We would get 2 and $140 on board credit. I am not sold on the freestyle dining. I like having the set time to eat. We did it with 20+ people on Carnival and it was nice to get together at dinner. (set time). It would be hard to do freestyle with such a big group.

Personally, I would choose the horizon. But I have been on lots of cruises and love the 8 days.

The new cruisers are going to have nothing to compare the choices to, so I would just make it clear to them that whatever you guys choose...no complaining :) It can be so frustrating to plan and put all this together then have people complain its not what they like or wanted.

Have fun and try not to get overwhelmed with trying to please everyone.

I cruises so far on 78 ships....so I am experienced.

I personally choose RC over Carnival in a heartbeat....there are more bells and whistles on RC which is great when you have children going and more dining options and more choices of food late at night.

I would consider Carnival Horizon, being the newest ship and it has more bells and whistles on her. and you haven't been to three ports yet so different things to see and do...the Fascination is not a ship I would want to be on for longer than 5 nights the most.....Fascination lacks so many things the other ships offer and the children probably be bored.... I would consider the Magic if the price is very good and alot cheaper than the Horizon.

My choice defiantly would be the Adventure...she was refurbished in January to March 1 this year! They added more waterslides (cyclone and typhoon) and a water park.

NCL never ever again won't go NCL for too many reasons to list.

Other things to consider:

RC:

more choices of specialty as well as complimentary places to eat

premium beverage package unlimited

Larger more pools

more things for the kids to do

FLL is alot cheaper if you have to get a hotel where Miami is more costly, airport in Ft. Lauderdale alot easier than Miami. You have points for southwest so I would choose the Adventure of the Seas plus you will experience a different cruise line and I bet once you do you love it.

You should probably eliminate the ships that don’t have enough for the kids to enjoy, ie. Fascination and

It is important to remember that while you may want to cruise for the port stops, they can be changed or skipped for various reasons and then you’ll be stuck with bored children. Pick a ship they’ll enjoy that also has more than one port you really want. That way if anything goes wrong you’ll still have a good time.

I like the Magic & Horizon itineraries that go to La Romana. We did that one on Breeze a few years ago. In La Romana, we booked independently through Seavis - did a speedboat to Saona Island that also stopped at a starfish garden. In Grand Turk, we've done horseback riding once, but usually just walk down to Jack's Shack, eat jerk chicken & play with the dogs.

Another thing to consider is that none of the ships you are considering will allow children in swim diapers to use any of the swim or water works facilities. With having possibly 4 not potty trained children along I’d look for ships with water facilities for them.

I like the Magic & Horizon itineraries that go to La Romana. We did that one on Breeze a few years ago. In La Romana, we booked independently through Seavis - did a speedboat to Saona Island that also stopped at a starfish garden. In Grand Turk, we've done horseback riding once, but usually just walk down to Jack's Shack, eat jerk chicken & play with the dogs.

We've also done that Seavis excursion to Saona Island and it was amazing - I think the adults and kids in your group would enjoy it. At the starfish area, the water is about 3' deep and they let you get out and walk around among the starfish - kids would love that.

For me I would choose

But it sounds like you love ports and do not care for a balcony, so I think this might be your best option. Cheaper too.

Royal Caribbean would help reduce just a little the shock of your only Disney experience cruiser.

Most people I have talked to about cruises, when they have never been balk at cruises 7 days and longer. If you can get them all to agree to a 7 or 8 day, you are doing great. It seems like you know as much about cruising as you need to convince them. I don't understand what input you are looking for.

Maybe just an outside voice of reason. Ha ha.

I just want to make sure I see things from all sides and not just what i want.

Personally, I would choose the horizon. But I have been on lots of cruises and love the 8 days.

The new cruisers are going to have nothing to compare the choices to, so I would just make it clear to them that whatever you guys choose...no complaining :) It can be so frustrating to plan and put all this together then have people complain its not what they like or wanted.

Have fun and try not to get overwhelmed with trying to please everyone.

Thanks. While I like being charge :) its also stressful when people are spending a lot of money and you want them to have a good time.

I cruises so far on 78 ships....so I am experienced.

I personally choose RC over Carnival in a heartbeat....there are more bells and whistles on RC which is great when you have children going and more dining options and more choices of food late at night.

I would consider Carnival Horizon, being the newest ship and it has more bells and whistles on her. and you haven't been to three ports yet so different things to see and do...the Fascination is not a ship I would want to be on for longer than 5 nights the most.....Fascination lacks so many things the other ships offer and the children probably be bored.... I would consider the Magic if the price is very good and alot cheaper than the Horizon.

My choice defiantly would be the Adventure...she was refurbished in January to March 1 this year! They added more waterslides (cyclone and typhoon) and a water park.

NCL never ever again won't go NCL for too many reasons to list.

Other things to consider:

RC:

more choices of specialty as well as complimentary places to eat

premium beverage package unlimited

Larger more pools

more things for the kids to do

FLL is alot cheaper if you have to get a hotel where Miami is more costly, airport in Ft. Lauderdale alot easier than Miami. You have points for southwest so I would choose the Adventure of the Seas plus you will experience a different cruise line and I bet once you do you love it.

thanks for your input. Royal is what I am leaning towards. But not sure about the rest of my family. Horizon also looks good.

Two thoughts. I absolutely LOVE cruising out of San Juan but you're probably asking a lot, especially the travel challenges for little ones. Plus it's SUPER port intensive. Like the most port intensive of any cruise. Again, think of the stamina of the young kids.

I would personally choose one of the two Magic cruises, especially if it saved a meaningful amount of money.

You should probably eliminate the ships that don’t have enough for the kids to enjoy, ie. Fascination and

It is important to remember that while you may want to cruise for the port stops, they can be changed or skipped for various reasons and then you’ll be stuck with bored children. Pick a ship they’ll enjoy that also has more than one port you really want. That way if anything goes wrong you’ll still have a good time.

good point. We eliminated the ships that didn't have waterslides and stuff ahead of time. The fascination was the cruise with bare minimum we would accept.

Thanks when researching what to do in la Romana the Seavis tours seem to be the top choice. Did you like it?

We have gone to the beach off the ship in Grand Turk and last time we rented a quad and drove all around the island. That was fun. Its small so we pretty much saw everything.

For me I would choose

But it sounds like you love ports and do not care for a balcony, so I think this might be your best option. Cheaper too.

Royal Caribbean would help reduce just a little the shock of your only Disney experience cruiser.

I thought about that regarding my Disney cruisers. Before I found the two non carnival ships I was telling them all about the lunch options (guys, blue iguana, pizza, etc) and they are now all excited for that. Ha ha. I think that is what is going to be hard to get my husband to get away from. The yummy non buffet options. He hates buffets. He is a pretty healthy eater. But on the cruise he gets a guys burger everyday (we usually split it) and pizza every evening (after dinner) ha ha.

Two thoughts. I absolutely LOVE cruising out of San Juan but you're probably asking a lot, especially the travel challenges for little ones. Plus it's SUPER port intensive. Like the most port intensive of any cruise. Again, think of the stamina of the young kids.

I would personally choose one of the two Magic cruises, especially if it saved a meaningful amount of money.

I agree about being hard for the younger kids. On our last cruise with the kids we had 4 port days in a row. We let them stay in the kids club for one (puerto rico) and we walked to the forts. We learned that lesson a few years ago. We did three islands in a row and the 4th was costa maya and our son lost it. We didn't make it out of the main area and went back on board. :)

I have already talked to the families with young ones. I have told them when our kids were young we always ranked the islands and whatever island was last we kept the option of staying on the ship.

Our only Cruise experience has been Disney. We liked it so much we thought we'd try something that was more affordable so we could go longer. What "shock" will I be in for going from Disney to Horizon, that I might not have already found on these boards? Thanks...

Another thing to consider is that none of the ships you are considering will allow children in swim diapers to use any of the swim or water works facilities. With having possibly 4 not potty trained children along I’d look for ships with water facilities for them.

the older 2 are pretty much potty trained now. The younger two most likely wouldn't be. I have explained this to them.

None of the above.

Considering it's just you who wants the ABC islands, maybe put that aside for another cruise? I would book Harmony or Symphony for a large family that wants a ton of things to do.

Symphony and Harmony also have large splash pad play areas with slides and everything for swim diapered children (maybe the only ones at sea of this caliber). Plus flow riders, rock walls, for older children, boardwalk is fun, central park, entertainment place, and solarium for adults, etc. The shows, entertainment, everything is so far beyond any of the other ships you are looking at, it's just an amazing first cruise experience.

Another major consideration would be childrens age and if you want to use camp. Carnival is the only line that has complimentary camp for 2 years old and no potty training requirement, others start at 3 and must be potty trained.

None of the above.

Considering it's just you who wants the ABC islands, maybe put that aside for another cruise? I would book Harmony or Symphony for a large family that wants a ton of things to do.

Symphony and Harmony also have large splash pad play areas with slides and everything for swim diapered children (maybe the only ones at sea of this caliber). Plus flow riders, rock walls, for older children, boardwalk is fun, central park, entertainment place, and solarium for adults, etc. The shows, entertainment, everything is so far beyond any of the other ships you are looking at, it's just an amazing first cruise experience.

Another major consideration would be childrens age and if you want to use camp. Carnival is the only line that has complimentary camp for 2 years old and no potty training requirement, others start at 3 and must be potty trained.

oops. I will have to go back and clarify. Everyone wanted to do a more southern route. I asked what was more important ship or island. They all said islands. That is how we narrowed it down. I did look at those awesome royal caribbean ships but no one really like the itineraries. . We also looked at the seaside ship from MSC. It looks awesome but again just ok itinerary.

oops. I will have to go back and clarify. Everyone wanted to do a more southern route. I asked what was more important ship or island. They all said islands. That is how we narrowed it down. I did look at those awesome royal caribbean ships but no one really like the itineraries. . We also looked at the seaside ship from MSC. It looks awesome but again just ok itinerary.

Thanks for the clarifications. Everyone is different. Last year and this year we are taking family on their first cruises and they couldn't care one bit about where they go, lol. Every island or port is new and unique to them. I personally loved the western itineraries and what they have to offer, including several beach days. So we have done Oasis, Allure, and Harmony with our new cruisers and it's just been such a big hit.

If you are absolutely doing these Southern Itineraries, then I would suggest the same one I picked for another family cruise (with experienced cruisers) which is the Magic 8 day. We love that it has Grand Turk and HMC for beach days then Curacao and Aruba for something a little different, plus it's 8 days. HMC you can reserve the private Villa and split the cost substantailly, too (that's what we are doing).

Here are some tips for organizing: get a spreadsheet or google doc together and categorize things like ports, sea days, airfare cost, inclusions (thinking of NCL), Cabins, Excursion prices, ship bells and whistles. When ready show this to everyone and gather input, trying to get a total price. They say they want you in charge for planning but after seeing this they may have some opinions and further input. You may all decide to do different things too, and that’s ok. As long as they are aware is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums