Paying for an infant?

matymil

I hope you would,at least partially, comp the cruise for the grandparents

I wonder how come so many young parents think grandparents want nothing more than to babysit the grandchildren while the parents live it up. Love my grandchildren - but the kids would be not be doing a favor by " inviting us along so we watch the grandchildren"

Don't let folks discourage you, cruising with toddlers is a great vacation.

I agree on bringing toddlers. As long as you are prepared for it and understand the differences between cruising with a toddler or young kids and traveling as just adults, you will have a great time.

The first time we brought our grandkids they were 20 months and 10 months. We had a blast, the pictures were beautiful, and the memories made by the family precious. My Grands are now 11, 10, and 5. They consider themselves seasoned cruisers having been on several cruises now! LOL

So even though you pay the same rate as an adult (and I fully understand why), go ahead and cruise with your kids. You will love every minute of it.

I agree on bringing toddlers. As long as you are prepared for it and understand the differences between cruising with a toddler or young kids and traveling as just adults, you will have a great time.

The first time we brought our grandkids they were 20 months and 10 months. We had a blast, the pictures were beautiful, and the memories made by the family precious. My Grands are now 11, 10, and 5. They consider themselves seasoned cruisers having been on several cruises now! LOL

So even though you pay the same rate as an adult (and I fully understand why), go ahead and cruise with your kids. You will love every minute of it.

Yeah I got a ton of positive feedback about people cruising with babies.

Our baby will be about $479, I think ours are around $700. This post was a genuine question, not a complaint but an actual question. I should have expected to get snarky responses before I posted the question. Next time when I want info i'll go somewhere else. Thank you for reminding me why I barely go on this site anymore.

If you get one thing out of it, take a look at MSCs rates sometime! Enjoy your cruise.

Just got off the Paradise last Saturday with my almost 2 year old. She had a blast and so did we! Sure you have extra packing, naps, cutting up foods, cranky moments, but you deal with it, and the other 90% of the time you're making beautiful memories. She's almost 2 and this was her second cruise, first she was 17 months. At least 3rd and 4th are at a lower cost and tips are not automatically added for children under 2, however, we still tip extra to our dining room staff and our room guy, after all at this age they did serve her, she must've eaten her weight in chicken nuggets and cookies all week, lol! I wish I could post some pics but it's not letting me. Oh!, and camp carnival does offer play times for under 2, check the schedule once on board. :)

Kids under 2 yrs only fly free if they are held in your lap and you provide proof of age. However, holding an infant in your arms is not recommended because if there is turbulence, said child can become a projectile. If you want your infant to fly safely, you buy a seat and put them in an airline approved car seat. Holding a squirmy, fussy baby on a long flight is not worth "free".

Thousands of babies fly in laps everyday. Has even one baby died in North America due to turbulence? Cost aside lugging a car seat and strapping them into a seat is a hassle. Agree if flying alone a lap kid can be tough but it is what the vast majority of people do even in Business class so it is not only a money issue.

As for original question. It is what it is. Sometimes cruise lines claim they are like hotels so a single traveler has to pay for the whole room. Other times they want to charge per person. Kids Fly free is great value and is a real savings. A family of four might get a suite with the deal for the price of two insides when the deal is not offered.

Just got off the Paradise last Saturday with my almost 2 year old. She had a blast and so did we! Sure you have extra packing, naps, cutting up foods, cranky moments, but you deal with it, and the other 90% of the time you're making beautiful memories. She's almost 2 and this was her second cruise, first she was 17 months. At least 3rd and 4th are at a lower cost and tips are not automatically added for children under 2, however, we still tip extra to our dining room staff and our room guy, after all at this age they did serve her, she must've eaten her weight in chicken nuggets and cookies all week, lol! I wish I could post some pics but it's not letting me. Oh!, and camp carnival does offer play times for under 2, check the schedule once on board. :)

Thanks for the info! :)

Sorry we haven't had the "baby" yet so I'm not sure what counts as an infant or a toddler

Congratulations on your baby:)

I've always considered toddler to be once the child starts to "toddle" or walk (even if holding on to furniture/assisted). I've also seen anywhere from sitting unassisted to talking in sentences. Often the levels are more milestone/ability level based rather than a set age.

My cruises have all been just me and husband:hearteyes: (do have land vacations with the kids). Our last cruise we met a young couple traveling with their young son (around 2) and the grandparents. The grandparents graciously gave the couple some time to themselves and all of them seemed to have a great vacation. The little one probably won't remember the adventures but will remember being loved, wanted and included.

I hope you can find what works for your family and have a great trip:)

I can't speak for other parents but when our boys were 16 months old, they were eating and drinking food. They were also in diapers which meant that the cabin steward would have had to do extra duty cleaning the cabin. Remember that while flying, an infant has to sit on the parents lap or pay for the ticket.

Personally, I would never take a 16 month old on a cruise. They are too young to enjoy it and as parents, it limits what you can do to enjoy the cruise yourselves. How many diapers are you going to have to bring? If the infant doesn't eat regular food, how much extra food are you going to have to bring? Are you going to have to bring a stroller? That's a lot of extra baggage that you will have to pay extra for if you are flying in.

Yess! Well said.

Thanks! Like I had said before most ppl that have sailed with kids have told me they loved it. We may take him on a cruise before our one in March 2020, we are looking at one in Nov 2019 :)

When you arrive in your cabin, ask the cabin steward for an extra sheet. Bring some clips with you so you can clip the sheet around the outside of the pack and play.

This will give a barrier between you and your child so that he will not see you when they wake up and may give you a few more minutes of sleep until they stand up and can see you.

Be prepared. If your child is anything like my then seventeen month old daughter, the kid will quickly realize all the activity and food are up on deck and you will be enjoying a sunrise coffee in the Lido every morning.

That cruise with my seventeen month old daughter was thirty three years and many family cruises ago (she still cruises with us when work permits). It is a cruise that my husband and I still remember with great delight. There is something about watching a child explore and experience a cruise that makes you experience things as new all over again.