Paying for an infant?

matymil

I would not enjoy a cruise with an infant unless I had grandparents to watch them and give us plenty of time for adult stuff.

Really, I think a cruise is a great way to vacation with young children. So I don't understand the "they won't remember it anyway" crowd. Besides, why do anything at all with a kid if that is the line of thought of these people? Go to the park? Why bother, they won't remember it. Birthday party? Why bother, they won't remember it.... Geeze.

While I agree 100% with your last paragraph, your first sentence did puzzle me a bit. Are you saying if the grandparents go it is their "duty and responsibility" to watch your children while you go out for plenty of adult time? First off we do cruise with our children and grandchild, however they would never feel its our obligation to watch our grandchild. We do volunteer a couple of nights to watch him while they go out while we are cruising and generally are always with them during the day (them meaning children and grandchildren). The one thing though is they would not/will not/better not expect me to play babysitter. They may ask us if we would watch our grandchild but they do not/better not view it as our obligation. I do apologize if the above sounds harsh and may well offend some people, but unless my children are paying 100% for hubby and I to cruise with them.....I don't owe them and they respect that. Ask me to help yes, just expect me to......bad idea!!

Edited by LadySpoilt

Can someone please explain to me why I have to pay for a 16 month old to go on a Carnival cruise? I just saw an add for Norwegian where kids are sailing free now. Infants can fly free, I find it odd that you have to pay for them to cruise considering they don't drink, eat the food or participate in activities. I'm not complaining I just want to understand why. Thanks

16 months ago, when you were in the hospital, making that special delivery, do you remember the hospital bill? Did your child get a medical bill? I remember having one for mine. At that very moment in your life, you signed up for paying for that child. I did, and did it two times. Might as well get used to it now, and accept you will be paying for the child for many more years.

Food, drinks and activities, are only a very small portion of the cost of your ticket. Food is only about $15.00 per person per day based on what I was told. Most entertainment are contract entertainment and each person only pays a small amount for it. Drinking is extra, so that is $0.00. Let's just say, out of $100.00 per day, you pay $20.00 for food and entertainment. Where do you think the other $80.00 goes? Your child is paying for the staff and remember, staff is everyone, all 900 - 1500 staff members on the ship, and off the ship. What about fuel for the ship? Ships are cheap. They are not stationary. They cost money to operate.

Kid's sail free - but what happens, is the parents pay a higher price.....yup marketing at work.

Infants fly free - only if sitting on your lap. Yup, they aren't taking a seat. So no cost.

Ships have a formula. They have "X" number of beds per safety regulations (lifeboats). They need to put "Y" number of souls in those beds. The math is something like this..... X/Y = $$$$$$ if it goes above 96%

I just made up the numbers, but many places will let you take your child in for free but those places don't spend money on gas or crews, and they don't have a lifeboat.

Without reading all of the responses....You pay a fare for your infant but it is usually reduced, assuming they are sailing as a 3rd or 4th passenger. An infant is still taking up one of the ships berths, which are capacity controlled. Good thing on Carnival with an infant is you are not required to pay the daily service charge/gratuities.

We were just discussing this yesterday. One of my daughters made the argument that a baby shouldn't pay because even on a lifeboat they would be in your arms, not taking up a seat. Food is brought by the parents & they are too young to go into the children's programs. However, she also stated that she would not take her baby on a cruise, not just because they won't remember it, but because she feels it would not be a vacation for her & her hubby. Production shows, comedy shows, pools, hot tubs, serenity area - even in places where an infant would be allowed, there's always that possibility they become fussy & you have to leave in the middle of it.

Our upcoming family cruise is adult only. 6, 2 and 1 year olds will be staying home. Adults will have a week to be couples once again without the responsibility of naps, cutting up someone else's food, diaper changes, etc. It also makes port exploration much easier. I know there are those who think it's horrible to take vacation without your children, but I will tell you from experience that sometimes that time alone can be a boost to your marriage.

People will do what they feel is best for their family. Of course, there are those who don't have anyone to leave small children with, so they will always take their children with them. We were very fortunate that we had family & close friends who were willing to watch our children for us.

So the question posed by the OP made me wonder, what does a cruiseline WHOLLY dedicated to the munchkins of this world do with a 16 month old? So I just did a mock booking for 2 adults and a 16 month old, and guess what????? Yup! Disney charges for toddlers too! and at their rates, they could afford to comp the diaper set!

So if Disney does it, I'm willing to bet that almost all other cruiselines do the same, including NCL- kids cruise free is just a promotion and will likely end.

NCL actually runs that promo quite frequently, but I will tell you who is the best...fare wise at least for kids: MSC

Most of their cruses offer 'kids sail free' and they dont jack up the adults rate to cover it. We have a western carib cruise booked for October this year......2k total with fees for a midship balcony for the 4 of us....just food for thought.

We came to cruising rather late and our boys were all pre-teens/teens when we sailed. None of them remember all that much about the cruises (I just asked my oldest, who sailed when he was 17 and 18, what he remembered and his response was- trying my first beer, playing basketball and all of the swimming). I do remember what was involved taking them when they were younger on an overnight trip to Oma and Opa's house and all of the stuff we had to bring with us. That is what would keep me from vacationing with an infant, but if one of our now adult kids wanted to bring their baby we'd help out, along the lines stated by LadySpoilt.

Edited by sparks1093

16 months ago, when you were in the hospital, making that special delivery, do you remember the hospital bill? Did your child get a medical bill? I remember having one for mine. At that very moment in your life, you signed up for paying for that child. I did, and did it two times. Might as well get used to it now, and accept you will be paying for the child for many more years.

Food, drinks and activities, are only a very small portion of the cost of your ticket. Food is only about $15.00 per person per day based on what I was told. Most entertainment are contract entertainment and each person only pays a small amount for it. Drinking is extra, so that is $0.00. Let's just say, out of $100.00 per day, you pay $20.00 for food and entertainment. Where do you think the other $80.00 goes? Your child is paying for the staff and remember, staff is everyone, all 900 - 1500 staff members on the ship, and off the ship. What about fuel for the ship? Ships are cheap. They are not stationary. They cost money to operate.

Kid's sail free - but what happens, is the parents pay a higher price.....yup marketing at work.

Infants fly free - only if sitting on your lap. Yup, they aren't taking a seat. So no cost.

Ships have a formula. They have "X" number of beds per safety regulations (lifeboats). They need to put "Y" number of souls in those beds. The math is something like this..... X/Y = $$$$$$ if it goes above 96%

I just made up the numbers, but many places will let you take your child in for free but those places don't spend money on gas or crews, and they don't have a lifeboat.

I get your logic, but the fact is some other lines do not charge for kids and also dont jack the adults rates up to cover the kids fare. Some have free kids fares, CCL does not. Doesnt make them a bad line, just not part of their promotional plan.

I will say we have sailed the last three times on MSC/NCL, and most of that was because of the kids free fares. So it certainly makes a difference, and makes sense for some folks.

NCL actually runs that promo quite frequently, but I will tell you who is the best...fare wise at least for kids: MSC

Most of their cruses offer 'kids sail free' and they dont jack up the adults rate to cover it. We have a western carib cruise booked for October this year......2k total with fees for a midship balcony for the 4 of us....just food for thought.

While it is true that MSC has cruises that offer a kids sail free promo, it is limited, usually to times when the children should be in school. Do not expect to find such an offer during break time. And yes, the fares for passengers one and two are higher during the kids sail free promos than other off season cruises that do not have the promo.

MSC is very family friendly, however, it has a different idea of family friendly than the cruiser who expects to shove the kids in a children's program upon embarking the ship and picking them up on the way out on the last day.

MSC does have a children's program, but many of the activities are designed to be done as a family. That's right; MSC actually thinks that families cruise to be together and and enjoy activities together.

An example is the scavenger hunt. It is designed for parent and child, not child and camp counselor. No parent and the child does not participate.

MSC also does not expect to have free range children. I have seen a ship's security officer approach unaccompanied children, have the parent's located, and return the children to their side.

If one is looking for a family cruise line that is set up for the family to enjoy and be with each other, MSC is the one for you.

Even a infant is a person. To those who believe a infant should travel for free I have a few question. What happens in a emergency, if the infant has a medical problem should the cruise lines medical staff provide care for the infant? (Airlines do not offer medical service for anyone) The cruise line must set up the medical center and have staff and supplies for infants, who should pay for all these things? A hundred more things could be listed, but my main point is the cruise line has added costs and should be able to make a profit on everyone.

As a customer it is your choice to take the offer made or find another company. And those free offers as other have said are not really free.

While it is true that MSC has cruises that offer a kids sail free promo, it is limited, usually to times when the children should be in school. Do not expect to find such an offer during break time. And yes, the fares for passengers one and two are higher during the kids sail free promos than other off season cruises that do not have the promo.

MSC is very family friendly, however, it has a different idea of family friendly than the cruiser who expects to shove the kids in a children's program upon embarking the ship and picking them up on the way out on the last day.

MSC does have a children's program, but many of the activities are designed to be done as a family. That's right; MSC actually thinks that families cruise to be together and and enjoy activities together.

An example is the scavenger hunt. It is designed for parent and child, not child and camp counselor. No parent and the child does not participate.

MSC also does not expect to have free range children. I have seen a ship's security officer approach unaccompanied children, have the parent's located, and return the children to their side.

If one is looking for a family cruise line that is set up for the family to enjoy and be with each other, MSC is the one for you.

Neither of our Kiddos are school age yet so we typically still cruise in the fall and spring and havent checked midsummer prices....to be honest even once they are in school we will probably pull them out for a week to cruise in the fall (I will wait for another thread to be lambasted for that one) ;p

I agree its a great line for kids, and adults as well. We have really enjoyed the atmosphere and european feel. And the rates have been great.

Even a infant is a person. To those who believe a infant should travel for free I have a few question. What happens in a emergency, if the infant has a medical problem should the cruise lines medical staff provide care for the infant? (Airlines do not offer medical service for anyone) The cruise line must set up the medical center and have staff and supplies for infants, who should pay for all these things? A hundred more things could be listed, but my main point is the cruise line has added costs and should be able to make a profit on everyone.

As a customer it is your choice to take the offer made or find another company. And those free offers as other have said are not really free.

I know your regurgitating information you read here, but maybe do some research. Search MSC cruises. If you do a mock booking for Two Adults and then Two Adults and Two Kids for the same sail, the only difference is the $147 in taxes and fees for each kid. The adults rates ARE the same.

While I agree 100% with your last paragraph, your first sentence did puzzle me a bit. Are you saying if the grandparents go it is their "duty and responsibility" to watch your children while you go out for plenty of adult time? First off we do cruise with our children and grandchild, however they would never feel its our obligation to watch our grandchild. We do volunteer a couple of nights to watch him while they go out while we are cruising and generally are always with them during the day (them meaning children and grandchildren). The one thing though is they would not/will not/better not expect me to play babysitter. They may ask us if we would watch our grandchild but they do not/better not view it as our obligation. I do apologize if the above sounds harsh and may well offend some people, but unless my children are paying 100% for hubby and I to cruise with them.....I don't owe them and they respect that. Ask me to help yes, just expect me to......bad idea!!

Totally agree with you! I was a bit shocked at their statement that the grandparents could babysit while they enjoy their adult time. If I am paying for my cruise, I sure as hell am not spending it babysitting! If I sound harsh, so be it. I am the grandmother of 14, and I do my share of babysitting, but when on vacation, IM ON VACATION!

I know your regurgitating information you read here, but maybe do some research. Search MSC cruises. If you do a mock booking for Two Adults and then Two Adults and Two Kids for the same sail, the only difference is the $147 in taxes and fees for each kid. The adults rates ARE the same.

This posts makes no sense. Nowhere in the quoted post does it say the amount charged or what amount should be charged for a infant. It just makes the case why infants should be charged for the cruise.

Do poster even look at the threads before posing? This is within the Carnival Cruise Lines > Paying for an infant area of the site not MSC Cruises, any postings about MSC belong in MSC Cruises. Or it could be considered thread hijacking.

And those free offers as other have said are not really free.

This posts makes no sense. Nowhere in the quoted post does it say the amount charged or what amount should be charged for a infant. It just makes the case why infants should be charged for the cruise.

Do poster even look at the threads before posing? This is within the Carnival Cruise Lines > Paying for an infant area of the site not MSC Cruises, any postings about MSC belong in MSC Cruises. Or it could be considered thread hijacking.

I quoted the line that the previous poster was obviously responding to and you clearly said that free offers are not really free and the PP was simply pointing out that in some cases they are free.

Thats what YOU posted. I was illustrating how you were incorrect:D. Make SENSE?

Because your "infant" I say toddler is a person and every person has to pay. They will use space, water, electricity, need to be cleaned up after. I envision my kids sitting in a high chair with cheerios all around them. Maybe your child never drops anything on the floor but mine sure did.

In fact I believe your 16 month old will make more messes and more trash (diapers) than my 16 year old. Granted my 16 YO will eat a lot more but she will also buy things on the ship.

Get used to it now because they only get more expensive.

What happens though if you book a cruise with 4 adults in one cabin? I’ve not seen a cruise line differentiate pricing between children vs adults, just for the 3rd and 4th person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What happens though if you book a cruise with 4 adults in one cabin? I’ve not seen a cruise line differentiate pricing between children vs adults, just for the 3rd and 4th person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thats a great question. For NCL, it doesnt matter at all if its 4 adults or 2 adults, 2 kids, etc. The promo they typically run is 3rd/4th passengers sail free (other than taxes and fees) regardless of age.

But, for MSC, they do differentiate with kids. It is a specific promo they run, not on all their cruises but on many. In that case if you had 4 adults in a room, it would be double the price of two adults and two kids.

Don't let folks discourage you, cruising with toddlers is a great vacation.

Yeah I posted the question in FB awhile back in one of the groups and like 90% of the people said it was a good experience and the majority of the ppl that said not to take the baby had never done it before.

Because your "infant" I say toddler is a person and every person has to pay. They will use space, water, electricity, need to be cleaned up after. I envision my kids sitting in a high chair with cheerios all around them. Maybe your child never drops anything on the floor but mine sure did.

In fact I believe your 16 month old will make more messes and more trash (diapers) than my 16 year old. Granted my 16 YO will eat a lot more but she will also buy things on the ship.

Get used to it now because they only get more expensive.

Sorry we haven't had the "baby" yet so I'm not sure what counts as an infant or a toddler

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you don't understand that is completely normal to pay for everyone - children included .... and if this is the 3rd or 4th passenger it is at a greatly reduced rate. You will need to pay gratuities too - generally there is even more clean up with children for the room steward. I am not a cheerleader for any cruise line, but I am realistic. We started cruising when my boys were school age and my daughter was 2. We booked 2 connecting rooms.

Because they fly free and other cruiselines advertise children sailing free. I have not traveled with a baby yet so these are questions that I am generally curious about.

We sailed with our daughter and her 10 month old daughter back in 2007, when her hubby was deployed to Iraq, and we had to pay full fare for our granddaughter. I called and asked them if they could provide diapers, baby food, and formula since I was paying a full fare for her, and was advised that they do not do that. We traveled with one large suitcase full of baby food, formula, and diapers. We also tried offering her food off buffet and in MDR, but she was not receptive to our foods yet, so we had to continue with the baby food. We learned, after the cruise, that there was a drugstore site online, that would deliver whatever we needed directly to the ship to be delivered to our cabin, but that was so long ago, not sure it even exists anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you very much I will look into that

Our baby will be about $479, I think ours are around $700. This post was a genuine question, not a complaint but an actual question. I should have expected to get snarky responses before I posted the question. Next time when I want info i'll go somewhere else. Thank you for reminding me why I barely go on this site anymore.

Because other cruiselines advertise it and they fly free under 2

Kids under 2 yrs only fly free if they are held in your lap and you provide proof of age. However, holding an infant in your arms is not recommended because if there is turbulence, said child can become a projectile. If you want your infant to fly safely, you buy a seat and put them in an airline approved car seat. Holding a squirmy, fussy baby on a long flight is not worth "free".