P&O announce today, no more discretionary service charge

Redrobo

P&O today announced that service charges will no longer be applied from May 2019. They have announced there will be no price increase to include it.

Will it set the tone for others to follow?

Just think if RCCL did the same, no more tipping threads on here:D

https://www.pocruises.com/service/?utm_content=sf194513384&utm_medium=spredfast&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=p&o%20cruises&sf194513384=1

Let's look at it this way: Maybe you don't have to pay for it separately, it will just be built into the cost (increase) of the cruise fare. They are going to get their tips (service charge) one way or another.

I can just see it now... post no extra service charge.....

"Just a quick question, how many of you wish RCCL would go back to the olden days when there was an extra service charge, just so DH can stand in line at Guest Services and have the extra charges removed because he liked to not hand out envelopes, like he did in the olden, olden days. DH really misses those days."

Sigh.

At least the RC tipping threads are very pro tipping as opposed to P&O which is the total opposite.

Really?! You obviously are not a member of alternative sites where everyone says how they take them off as they cannot afford them....it gets very heated over there!!!!!

I just wish they would up the RCI UK fares by £80pp x 7 day cruise and have done with it.

Interesting precedent set by P&O. I don't believe the 'no price rise' statement... they have to pay for it somehow!

Really?! You obviously are not a member of alternative sites where everyone says how they take them off as they cannot afford them....it gets very heated over there!!!!!

I just wish they would up the RCI UK fares by £80pp x 7 day cruise and have done with it.

Interesting precedent set by P&O. I don't believe the 'no price rise' statement... they have to pay for it somehow!

You obviously don't read my posts.

I'm from the UK and almost Mediterranean loyalty (930) points on P&O Elite on Princess and D+ on RC and post regularly on all these sites.

Myself and others emailed P&O and I spoke to the Guest Relations manager at P&O several months ago suggesting including tips in the fare and using the,

Tips included as a promotional slogan.

I posted that the amount of obc P&O give could be reduced to cover this.

For a 2 night cruise in a Suite on Oceana I got £100 obc.

"From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of. Changes like this do take a little bit of time to put in place, and so for holidays which depart before May, a discretionary daily Service Charge amount of £7 will continue to be added for guests aged 12 and over."

Quote: "so you can relax knowing its all taken care of" Sounds like code for baking it into the original fare, vs. adding it daily.