4th person can't go

Babyfin

We have a cruise booked for Aug 26th. The 4th person is claiming to be sick and is not going with us. We have the cruise insurance. I called carnival and they told me it would be a fee to cancel her off and rebook the cruise. I do not want to do all of that. I have read on here about just going and getting the tips and port fees and taxes back. How does that work? Insurance says 100% back in cash for illness? How does that work? Someone please help. Thanks.

I was hoping it would get refunded to me as I paid for it, but I am not at all sure how to go about doing anything with it. Like I do not want to cancel my cruise and rebook it like the carnival agent said I could. It would cost me so much more for that and we would loose our OBC since that promotion isnt valid anymore.

We have a cruise booked for Aug 26th. The 4th person is claiming to be sick and is not going with us. We have the cruise insurance. I called carnival and they told me it would be a fee to cancel her off and rebook the cruise. I do not want to do all of that. I have read on here about just going and getting the tips and port fees and taxes back. How does that work? Insurance says 100% back in cash for illness? How does that work? Someone please help. Thanks.

Feeling sick and can't go doesn't cover it. A licensed physician has to determine and specifically indicate that the traveler cannot travel for you to expect this to be covered by travel insurance.

If you had "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance,,, then you can cancel this person,,, However, the traveler named on the policy receives anywhere from 40% to 75% returned in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

If you paid for everything .... then that 4th person becomes a no show. You do NOT cancel her before arriving on the ship. Once she doesn't arrive, you will get her taxes & fees back in the form you paid it. Such as ... credit card refund if you paid for everything with a credit card. But that is all you will get back ... you will not get any of the cruise fare refunded. But is losing her portion of the cruise fare less than paying for a re-booked cruise?

This is a very difficult life lesson. NEVER pay up front for people. No matter how good of friends you are or have been or thought you were.

There are a lot of threads here on CC about this exact same thing.

If you paid for everything .... then that 4th person becomes a no show. You do NOT cancel her before arriving on the ship. Once she doesn't arrive, you will get her taxes & fees back in the form you paid it. Such as ... credit card refund if you paid for everything with a credit card. But that is all you will get back ... you will not get any of the cruise fare refunded. But is losing her portion of the cruise fare less than paying for a re-booked cruise?

This is a very difficult life lesson. NEVER pay up front for people. No matter how good of friends you are or have been or thought you were.

You’re absolutely correct! Our friend and lackluster young, no responsibility boyfriend backed out after she paid for the majority of fees as boyfriend supposed to pay her back! Not! Loser merely stated he is too sensitive to cruise..LOL... I think she’s his sugar momma.LOL... NOT!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This x 100. I will only book other people if they have paid me up front. "Sick and can't go" 4 days before the cruise sounds like the biggest load of crap.

You’re absolutely correct! Our friend and lackluster young, no responsibility boyfriend backed out after she paid for the majority of fees as boyfriend supposed to pay her back! Not! Loser merely stated he is too sensitive to cruise..LOL... I think she’s his sugar momma.LOL... NOT!

What the heck is too sensitive to cruise?

It sounds like HE thinks she is his sugar momma. OMG ... what a fiasco. I feel for your friend. LOL too sensitive to cruise. LOL :') Yeah, insurance will cover THAT. NOT!

You could find someone to their place. I did that 2 years ago when my husband couldn't go due to work and took his mom instead. I didn't have insurance either. They charged a fee, like 150 but nothing else changed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I was able to do this a couple years ago also. My traveling companion had her father die the week before and she had too much to handle with his funeral arrangements and grieving. I had an early saver rate that was stupid cheap and it was less expensive to swap out the traveler than to remove her from the reservation.

the refund will go back to the person/card that made that made the payments. We had to cancel my son's girlfriend and he had the insurance thru Carnival and he lost $50 of the $250 deposit and received the cost of the insurance ($98-if no claim was filed) towards a future cruise ($298).

the refund will go back to the person/card that made that made the payments. We had to cancel my son's girlfriend and he had the insurance thru Carnival and he lost $50 of the $250 deposit and received the cost of the insurance ($98-if no claim was filed) towards a future cruise ($298).

This is not helpful. The OP has already stated that IF that person gets cancelled, cruise line says the OP has to REBOOK the cruise at CRAZY expensive dollar amounts. The OP should NOT cancel the 4th person.

Insurance is not going to cover a made up excuse of "I'm sick". The 4th person can not meet the insurance requirements with a full doctor note/diagnosis.

The best bet is to have 4th person be a no show and recoup the taxes & fees & any gratuities if pre-paid. Paying the cruise fare for the 4th person seems to be cheaper than the re-quoted cruise cost IF 4th person is cancelled last minute.

The OP paid for the cruise up front & 4th person did not pay any money ... so no skin in the game for the 4th person.