The oldest ship You sailed on

JMorris271

I toured the USS Constitution (1797)....does that 'count'?:D

Only if the USS Constitution was moving and under sail. Otherwise no. If you use your logic, I have been next to a Viking ship. LOL!!!

If you are interested in the French, check out her WEB site - https://schoonerfrench.com/index.htm. They do a great cruise. Our cruise on the French was one of the first cruises we ever did.

DON

Only if the USS Constitution was moving and under sail. Otherwise no. If you use your logic, I have been next to a Viking ship. LOL!!!

DON

If "next to" counts, how about the Egyptian Pharaoh Khufu's Funeral boat, adjacent to his pyramid at Giza. We've been "next to" that, and it's over 4500 years old?

If "next to" counts, how about the Egyptian Pharaoh Khufu's Funeral boat, adjacent to his pyramid at Giza. We've been "next to" that, and it's over 4500 years old?

I wonder if that just might be pushing "sailed" a bit beyond the dictionary definition. :confused: :D

I toured the USS Constitution (1797)....does that 'count'?:D

That's stretching it a bit too. :rolleyes:

Though I can beat it with HMS Victory, 1759. :p

Seems like Donaldsc's Lewis R French, 1871 is the clear leader.

JB :)

I started thinking about our oldest cruise ship and realized it was the MS Fairwind. When we were on her she was part of Sitmar Cruises (later bought by Princess). The Fairwind was originally built in 1957 as the RMS Sylvania for Cunard and was the last ship built specifically for Transatlantic voyages. She was about 22,000 tons. An interesting factoid about that ship is that she was powered by two steam turbines. This system generated virtually no engine vibration....although you still could get some vibration from the usual cavitation caused by the props.

Hank

I started thinking about our oldest cruise ship and realized it was the MS Fairwind. When we were on her she was part of Sitmar Cruises (later bought by Princess). The Fairwind was originally built in 1957 as the RMS Sylvania for Cunard and was the last ship built specifically for Transatlantic voyages. She was about 22,000 tons. An interesting factoid about that ship is that she was powered by two steam turbines. This system generated virtually no engine vibration....although you still could get some vibration from the usual cavitation caused by the props.

Hank

The Fairwind was much loved by my family. We cruised on her numerous times from 1973 up until her conversion to a Princess ship. As a child I loved sailing on her even though there was little in the way of children's activities (a tiny room aft and on a high deck).

I'll never forget the delicious Italian pizzeria, the real movie theater, the dinner chimes and the Italian wait staff who could not do enough for my sister and I.

It was a sad day when she went to the breakers...

Hank

Hank - many of the passenger liners built before the 70's were steam turbine. Of the 6 passenger vessels I worked aboard, 50% were triple reduction steam turbine. However, the steam was nothing like the live steam we know, it was super heated steam that was invisible and very high pressure and temperature.

Turbines were used due to the minimal vibration, but they used significantly more fuel than combustion engines.