Venice to Barcelona

Mackdogmolly

We are incredibly excited to experience Azamara and have been following many of these posts for months in anticipation. We will be staying near the Guggenheim the night before we embark. Any great restaurant ideas near there?

The following are recommendations from the wonderful Venetian owner of an apartment we rented near Venice in July (prior to B2B Azamara Cruises). We tried the ‘cicchetteria’ Osteria Al Squero for lunch and it was fabulous. Make sure to be there early and do try an Aperol Spritz.

Have a wonderful cruise!

If you want to eat the way the locals do, you must stop at "cicchetteria". There are many in town: they are very small bars, eateries preparing fresh finger food in many different solutions, as well as the famous aperitif Aperol Spritz. For all the locals it has been a must since a long time. When in Venice I always go to this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d3226055-Reviews-Osteria_Al_Squero

For a quick lunch visiting Venice, this is one of the best. The location is also to die for, right in front of the only old shipyard for gondolas in Venice.

If you wish an historical old restaurant near Rialto Bridge and the fish/vegetables market, you can go to this one, I usually choose for dinner

https://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d1088037-Reviews-Antica_Trattoria_Poste_Vecie-Venice_Veneto.html

And now a tip for an incredible view from the roof top of this palace, recently renovated.

https://www.tripadvisor.it/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187870-d11726937-i213829027-T_Fondaco_Dei_Tedeschi-Venice_Veneto.html

In the past years it was the post office headquarter and now top luxury mall.

From the top, the view over Venice roofs and canals is amazingly beautiful.

If you wish to stay out of the crowded tourist paths, do not miss to walk along Campo Santa Margherita, one of the most typical Venetian piazza, sit al fresco for a coffee or a glass of prosecco wine.

https://www.tripadvisor.it/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187870-d519952-i174270329-Campo_Santa_Margherita-Venice_Veneto.html

The following are recommendations from the wonderful Venetian owner of an apartment we rented near Venice in July (prior to B2B Azamara Cruises). We tried the ‘cicchetteria’ Osteria Al Squero for lunch and it was fabulous. Make sure to be there early and do try an Aperol Spritz.

Have a wonderful cruise!

If you want to eat the way the locals do, you must stop at "cicchetteria". There are many in town: they are very small bars, eateries preparing fresh finger food in many different solutions, as well as the famous aperitif Aperol Spritz. For all the locals it has been a must since a long time. When in Venice I always go to this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d3226055-Reviews-Osteria_Al_Squero

For a quick lunch visiting Venice, this is one of the best. The location is also to die for, right in front of the only old shipyard for gondolas in Venice.

If you wish an historical old restaurant near Rialto Bridge and the fish/vegetables market, you can go to this one, I usually choose for dinner

https://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d1088037-Reviews-Antica_Trattoria_Poste_Vecie-Venice_Veneto.html

And now a tip for an incredible view from the roof top of this palace, recently renovated.

https://www.tripadvisor.it/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187870-d11726937-i213829027-T_Fondaco_Dei_Tedeschi-Venice_Veneto.html

In the past years it was the post office headquarter and now top luxury mall.

From the top, the view over Venice roofs and canals is amazingly beautiful.

If you wish to stay out of the crowded tourist paths, do not miss to walk along Campo Santa Margherita, one of the most typical Venetian piazza, sit al fresco for a coffee or a glass of prosecco wine.

https://www.tripadvisor.it/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187870-d519952-i174270329-Campo_Santa_Margherita-Venice_Veneto.html

Thank you! We have arrived, and the first place you recommended is a 4 minute walk from our hotel! Going there for lunch now!

Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

Happy cruising.

Well, I guess the word was out. It was packed, with lines out the door! But we found a quiet place nearby. Unfortunately, jet lag overcame us later so we didn’t stray far from our hotel, but found a small restaurant where we had a wonderful mixed fish grill (me) and sea bass for DH

After waiting out the rain this morning, it was a short walk from our hotel to the cruise terminal, where we were greeted warmly and checked in in less than ten minutes. More friendly faces and sparkling wine once onboard and a delicious lunch at Windows. We then popped down to Mosaic for coffee and asked to join another couple, as it was packed. Turned out to be Alice and John from our roll call! We love our cabin (6093) an aft balcony, and I think we can deal with the small shower, having been more than prepared - lol. Looking forward to the Meet and Greet tonight and better weather tomorrow!

Yesterday afternoon, attended the CC Meet and Greet, where we met up with some fellow passengers from our Roll Call and were able to finalize a couple of private excursions. Then had cocktails and tapas (delicious) in the Living Room. Next we attended a lecture about Croatia (our next 2 stops), which was interesting and well attended. Had dinner at the fabulous seafood buffet at Windows and then bounced between the Living Room and Spirits. Spirits was more our style ( quieter) and we enjoyed Heather at the piano. Today we were supposed to go on a 3 hour walking tour of Venice, but moi messed up the meeting spot and we missed it. Good thing it was free-lol! We decided in the end, we would have been just too exhausted anyway, so we wandered on our own, seeing San Marco Piazza, having a nice lunch, getting the souvenirs for the kids and grandkids out of the way. One thing we are finding is that in addition to the warmth of the crew, it seems really easy to get to know fellow passengers. Sail away party in 30!

Can anyone tell me how to upload photos?

If you’re in the app, write your words in the write a reply box, then click on the cross in a circle at the left hand side of the box. That opens up the box and at the bottom you’ll see a 4 icons. Click on the mountain which will take you to your photos to add them, one at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yesterday, they held off our departure from Venice for 45 minutes waiting for some stragglers. Got to believe that’s unusual! It was a gorgeous afternoon and we enjoyed the water view of Venice as we sailed away. Later, in the Living Room, we met a nice couple from Manchester (England). One tiny criticism is that the band playing during cocktail hour (Smooth Sensations) was too loud to sustain a conversation. But we joined them for dinner later in Discoveries and got to know each other better then. This was our first meal in the MDR. I had baked salmon and it was perfect. I usually have trouble ordering fish out because I like it rare and it usually comes out over done, but this was delicious and perfectly cooked. Today we’re in Split and it’s very hot. Spent the morning in the old city and had lunch at a small cafe (more fish and local wine). Tonight is the Azamazing evening with cellist Ana Ruckner. Can’t wait!

Yesterday - Dubrovnik! We went on a ship sponsored excursion to Ston, about an hour away by mini bus - only 16 of us. Gorgeous drive. Ston is the oyster captital of Croatia. It also boasts the second longest wall in the world (after China). We were put on a little boat and taken out into the harbor, where we toasted with Rakija (local grappa) and then given samples of raw oysters and grilled mussels, freshly drawn from the sea, along with a local white wine. Then it was back to shore to a restaurant for a lunch of seafood risotto and seafood pasta and more wine!

Dubrovnik is a small city, only 43,000 people, about the size of my hometown of Burlington, VT, although it looks much larger. After our oyster excursion (which I highly recommend), we climbed the wall and walked around for a view of the old city and port. It takes about 45 minutes and is not for the mobility challenged. But very beautiful. It was very hot though and we were ready for a late afternoon swim and a drink back at the ship. We booked a 3 night specially dinner package and had our first dinner at Prime C. I had a tuna tartare appetizer and sea bream (I don’t eat beef - lol) and Andrew had one of the steaks. Both excellent. Freddie was our server and very charming. We had a late seating so didn’t partake of any entertainment following. Today is a sea day and we’re ready to relax!

Met up with a couple from our roll call, Bruce and Lenore, at breakfast today. We will be joining them and four others tomorrow in Sorrento for a drive up the Almafi coast (private excursion). Tonight, Captain Magnus tells up we will be sailing by Stromboli, volcano, which may or may not be active. Hoping we will be up that late! Is anyone reading this?❤️

Oh yes, we are all still here! Having just gotten off last cruise it all still feels very fresh and I’m not yet quite ready to give it up! Still have some friends onboard too, so along with the Marine traffic app you are putting together a great picture. By the way, I highly recommend staying awake for the Stromboli sail by. Did it last year and it was just stunning. The volcano was still rumbling away with a few mini lava spurts etc. This was during the day, so at night I can imagine it being even more special. Knowing Azamara I’m sure they will do a close up and something out on deck. But before that try and be out to see Etna and the sail through the straits of Messina. You have a few very special hours of sailing ahead of you! Once in Sorrento (crossed fingers weather is good for tendering) you should be able to see Vesuvius. That will be the holy trinity of Italian volcanoes in 24hrs! Just a bit jealous......[emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums