Carnival Horizon - 8 Day Eastern Caribbean Semi-Live August 28, 2018

Irene225

I am so looking forward to your review. We have our first Carnival cruise booked in The Havana next year. You said you have cruised NCL. You kind of hinted at it but have your cruised in the Haven? I am wondering how they compare with crowds ect..... I know its not the same but the Havens prices have skyrocketed so we are giving this a try.

Looking forward to your live report.

Hello! This is our first Havana trip so I’ll let you know vey soon. :)

We have done Haven and had mixed feelings about it. It’s a great offering, but our Haven sailing was with a group where some were in some were not. If we had just been on our own and would have used it more, I would have had a different experience. Know what I mean? One of the things I like about cruising is that everyone can choose their own adventure. If you want to spend $800 on an interior, cool. If you want to spend $8,000 on a suite, awesome. Everyone gets the vacation they want. I plan a lot of destination weddings and it’s challenging when the couple picks a resort that not all of their guests can afford. Anyway, I ramble....

we will definitely be making a Haven comparison :)

I so agree with this statement. LGA is a beast!

When I moved from NYC to Missouri, I kept my old NY job and flew back and forth every other week. I’ve lived a lifetime inside the walls of LGA. Woof.

:D You just might be talking about me because I just finished packing and if you could see my luggage I am sure the professional packer in you would be horrified!

Well the joke is on me because the carry on did NOT happen. I decided to bring our fins and snorkel for Grand Turk and that was the gateway drug for shoving more crap in our suitcase. Mr ashleyirene225 was not happy with my 50 lb bag LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is our sailing also. I'm excited to see if we share similar experiences. We also can't wait for cheers to kick in!!!!

Same! What’s your first drink going to be?

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for joining!

I am so looking forward to your review. We have our first Carnival cruise booked in The Havana next year. You said you have cruised NCL. You kind of hinted at it but have your cruised in the Haven? I am wondering how they compare with crowds ect..... I know its not the same but the Havens prices have skyrocketed so we are giving this a try.

Looking forward to your live report.

I'm on same cruise. Have sailed in NCL Haven twice. Once on Breakaway the other time on Gem. Both times upgraded through bid process. Went from Balcony to 2 bed courtyard suite for 1100.00 PP. Our experience on Gem was better. Much less crowded. I would equate Havana to NCL's Vibe. We have enjoyed our Vibe experience immensely. Met a lot of great people. I'm sure our time in Havana will be just as fun and relaxing. 24 hours until we board.

Welllllll, my checked bag ended up being $175. Lol

Because I used to travel so much, I was used to getting upgraded. In first class, the bag limit is 75lbs on Delta.

In the main cabin (I didn’t get upgraded this time), it’s 50. I had been planning on 75lbs when I packed that snorkel gear. I’d better get $175 of fun out of it now

Off to console my husband with a Bloody Mary.

If I am, in fact, still married.

ce2f0e84b5caaf887b8036c462e208b1.gif

Well the joke is on me because the carry on did NOT happen. I decided to bring our fins and snorkel for Grand Turk and that was the gateway drug for shoving more crap in our suitcase. Mr ashleyirene225 was not happy with my 50 lb bag LOL.

Welllllll, my checked bag ended up being $175. Lol

Because I used to travel so much, I was used to getting upgraded. In first class, the bag limit is 75lbs on Delta.

In the main cabin (I didn’t get upgraded this time), it’s 50. I had been planning on 75lbs when I packed that snorkel gear. I’d better get $175 of fun out of it now

Off to console my husband with a Bloody Mary.

If I am, in fact, still married.

ce2f0e84b5caaf887b8036c462e208b1.gif

Whew! That’s rough but at least you have the snorkel gear to excuse! I’m pretty sure mine is more like 75lbs too and I have no gear. Thank God I’m not flying!

The dent fairy

I would think at least a little bit to have all the inspections done. We sailed on a ship that had a noro outbreak before us (Quantum before she wen to China). So our sailing was delayed. NY port just kept opening up hanger like rooms to put everyone in sections. Lots and lots of chairs. They did had out snack boxes that was nice.

Embarkation Day!

We went to dinner with my sister and some other friends from my past NY life... suffice it to say, a good time was had by all and I’m desperately in need of some Advil today.

We slept in which is a HUGE treat, took our time getting ready and ordered bagel breakfast from Seamless. Our pre-cruise hotel was Ink48, a Kimpton property on 48th & 11th. If we didn’t have my giant bag and if it weren’t 93 degrees today, we would have walked it.

Check out was 12pm and we decided to just head over. Our boarding time was 1pm, but we are both early birds and would rather just go to the port. We headed to the “too early” line and they called for zones 1-9 to board. We are zone 33. In the 10 minutes we’ve been here, they are already up to zone 21. Going pretty fast!

07065c4effc4e809e2fabd359ba61e1d.jpg

If I remember, I will look. But only if you answer... why is this important? I always wonder why people care. Would you not go on the cruise if you didn’t like the answer?

My answer is probably a lot different from most people. My sister took my elder mother who has dementia on the Horizon on one of horizon's earliest cruise. Even though we try to be with my mother all the time she gets upset and says she does not like to be baby sat because she is not a child. Well one of the times when my mom was by herself she got lost and scared. My sister said two offices one from Food and Beverage and the other from the Hotel director or their assistants, help my mother. They put her in one of the specialty restaurants during lunch gave her a small lunch until they could locate my sister. My sister does not remember their names, but she states if she sees the name she most likely could recognize them. Anyway, if they are on the cruise that I am going to be on, I just wanted to thank them for what they did. Even though they may not remember the incident, I still would like to say thank you.

My answer is probably a lot different from most people. My sister took my elder mother who has dementia on the Horizon on one of horizon's earliest cruise. Even though we try to be with my mother all the time she gets upset and says she does not like to be baby sat because she is not a child. Well one of the times when my mom was by herself she got lost and scared. My sister said two offices one from Food and Beverage and the other from the Hotel director or their assistants, help my mother. They put her in one of the specialty restaurants during lunch gave her a small lunch until they could locate my sister. My sister does not remember their names, but she states if she sees the name she most likely could recognize them. Anyway, if they are on the cruise that I am going to be on, I just wanted to thank them for what they did. Even though they may not remember the incident, I still would like to say thank you.

Excellent answer. My dad struggles with dementia so I completely understand. We actually first noticed it on a cruise because he kept getting lost on the ship. Here’s what I see so far, I will poet again when I see the rest. . 1d4d4993f694c4b7240ff59756c8e261.jpg

Excellent answer. My dad struggles with dementia so I completely understand. We actually first noticed it on a cruise because he kept getting lost on the ship. Here’s what I see so far, I will poet again when I see the rest. .

Thank you for your understanding and time. Hopefully you will be able to get the other three names so I can show them to my sister. I know they change every 3-4 months so there might be a chance if it s them on this cruise they may not be on mine. :(

Hmmmm do they utilize the services of Harbor Pilots in NY like in other ports?

Absolutely....Sandy Hook Pilot's. If the currents/winds are strong...it is usually the pilot's decision to call for tug assistance, if necessary.