A few Getaway thoughts

Fincherson

Just got home from the August 19-26 sailing on Getaway and had an absolutely wonderful time. The atmosphere was fun and so were the guests. Getting to know everyone was a true joy.

To start with the negatives...

One of the few things that I wasn't thrilled about would be the lack of hot or even very warm food at the Garden Buffet. I understood its a buffet and feeding such a large number of people at all hours of the day is challenging but I still found it to be a little disappointing and wished there was at least a microwave to remedy. The food quality was good though and I absolutely loved having waffles every morning with whipped cream and crepes for a late night snack. The butter all over the ship is delicious so be careful.

The other food related disappointments were O'sheehans burgers (all) and their fries. I was curious if they perhaps take items off if the buffet and assemble? Their wings, however, were so good. We had them many times!

I was disappointed in Cagneys (my husband found it to be very good) and La Cucina. Le Bistro was the clear winner for us in the Speciality department. We went twice and ended up with six orders of escargot, all told. No shame.

My final negative is the lack of space in the Atrium for shows. There aren't even close to enough chairs and it caused a bit of a commotion at times. There was a couple one night saving five open seats during one of the popular shows and they had two confrontations that I saw. Then there was the issue of people forced to stand, thus upsetting the guests sitting behind them at the bar. I just think this leads to some sticky situations and wish it could be remedied.

The shows were all good, though I didn't love Steve Furey's comedy. Howl at the Moon was a favorite as was Million Dollar Quartet. I was quite blown away by the latter.

The service all over the ship was good. If not overtly friendly, at least very quick and polite. I do prefer the more gregarious, interactive crew members, but I try to remember there are a million factors in play. By far our favorite crew member was Pelom, our room steward. He always had a smile and friendly greeting, calling us by name every time from the first minute we saw him. He kept our room meticulous and was concerned for us when we left our 'do not disturb' light on.

The water slides were so much fun, as was the ropes course. We didn't spend a lot of time on the pool deck, maybe a few minutes here and there. Nice area but too small and loud for our preference.

The thermal spa was fantastic and I'd say we spent 40% of our time there. Such a relaxing place to be for reading or, in my case, listening to an audio book.

Overall we thought the trip was wonderful and would go on the Getaway again anytime.

Cheers!

Sailed on the Getaway last June. We also had an wonderful vacation and did wish the seating options in the atrium were better. They have so many activities there and it was always crowded. It also seemed to get more crowded as the week went on.

Thanks for checking in. I agree that the Atrium shows are almost impossible to watch unless you get there an hour early and claim a seat. Its just an unfortunate reality because I doubt they will ever build 2 theaters on the same ship. It is a shame because some of the shows in the Atrium are very good. Last time on Getaway the Perfect Couple game had me in tears I was laughing so hard.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We we’re on the GA the eeek before you. We at at Cagney’s twice and found the service to be substandard to unacceptable. As Platinum Plus members, we took the time to talk with the restaurant manager about the fact that the restaurant was understaffed and that the service was not good on both nights we dined there.

Thank you for your thoughts. We'll be on her in just over a month.

That is very disappointing about the buffet. I find it surprising as food out of temp at a buffet is one of the fastest ways to an outbreak of food poisoning. In fact, one of the things I loved about the Carnival Breeze and Norwegian Getaway were the smaller serving trays on the buffet. I realize it is more work for the crew, but it helps everything stay fresher and at temp.

Did you bring it to anyone's attention? They are supposed to be temping the food regularly, however the person doing it may not have been very good at it or was missing the areas that weren't holding temp very well. I'm sure the senior staff in the Food and Beverage department would have loved to know that.

I would definitely agree with you about how friendly the staff is. We had cruised Carnival several times prior to NCL. We definitely noticed that while the NCL staff is very polite and attentive, they are far from engaging and gregarious. I can only assume it is a different corporate philosophy. Does Carnival still say "The Funship"? While NCL's branding seems about adventure and choice.

My final negative is the lack of space in the Atrium for shows. There aren't even close to enough chairs and it caused a bit of a commotion at times. There was a couple one night saving five open seats during one of the popular shows and they had two confrontations that I saw. Then there was the issue of people forced to stand, thus upsetting the guests sitting behind them at the bar. I just think this leads to some sticky situations and wish it could be remedied.

We noticed that same situation when we sailed on the Getaway in April. I wonder why they don't use the Theater where the shows are for the more popular game shows and such

Agree about the Atrium, way to crowded for the more popular (and very very funny) shows.

About Cagney's I wasn't overly impressed last time. We are going on Sunday, should we maybe change Cagney's for Moderno? Anyone been on both on the GA recently?

Agree about the Atrium, way to crowded for the more popular (and very very funny) shows.

About Cagney's I wasn't overly impressed last time. We are going on Sunday, should we maybe change Cagney's for Moderno? Anyone been on both on the GA recently?

BirdTravels recent review included both. Bird is Platinum and received both as a Platinum reward.

We got seats at the railing above at OSheehan's. you can sit up there and see everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Yes, we did that once but it also fills up. The one time we *did* eat at the railing during a show I felt bad for the people trying to see over our shoulders and let a woman stand between us so she could see. It's definitely a problem.

Why start with the negatives?

Well, because I felt like it. Thank you for asking! If you're trying to insinuate I'm negative I will just laugh my butt off because I was nothing but positive and loved every minute of my cruise but I also see no reason to lie about the few things that need improvement, in my opinion.

Well, because I felt like it. Thank you for asking! If you're trying to insinuate I'm negative I will just laugh my butt off because I was nothing but positive and loved every minute of my cruise but I also see no reason to lie about the few things that need improvement, in my opinion.

Perfect response and great review. We're on the Getaway in December and have a spa room so your comments on that part were especially helpful!!

We noticed that same situation when we sailed on the Getaway in April. I wonder why they don't use the Theater where the shows are for the more popular game shows and such

I made this same comment about my last Escape cruise... I actually brought it up with the Hotel Director and the Guest Services manager as anytime there was a show it was impossible to navigate through the atrium.

I made this same comment about my last Escape cruise... I actually brought it up with the Hotel Director and the Guest Services manager as anytime there was a show it was impossible to navigate through the atrium.

I have a strong feeling that the sets for Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet are not easily broken down and assembled. The stage setup may not allow hosting of other shows during the day. Remember, Wednesday is dark so they can set up for MDQ.

Which I find interesting. We didn't see many shows on Carnival, but of the few we did they seemed great and had nice sets as well. Perhaps NCL should spend a bit more on sets or stage staff so they can use the theater for more than 8 a week.

I have a strong feeling that the sets for Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet are not easily broken down and assembled. The stage setup may not allow hosting of other shows during the day. Remember, Wednesday is dark so they can set up for MDQ.

Which I find interesting. We didn't see many shows on Carnival, but of the few we did they seemed great and had nice sets as well. Perhaps NCL should spend a bit more on sets or stage staff so they can use the theater for more than 8 a week.

Yeah its crazy that the other major cruiselines have their entertainment venues so well done and yet NCL still struggles with it. Supposedly it isn't even improved with Bliss either...

When we were on the Getaway and also the Escape, the staff set up a few rows of folding chairs to accommodate more people during some events. It still wasn't enough for the number of persons in attendance, but it was better than doing nothing. With regard to the people standing in front of those sitting on stools at the bar: A couple of times, we were seated at the bar during the shows and there were standees in front of us, but we realized that they were standing behind those sitting in the low seats, respectfully not blocking those peoples' view. It was our choice to turn our bar stools around so we could watch. We could not reasonably expect that there would not be people standing in that space. Thankfully, we did not witness any confrontations. We loved the Getaway though, and will be on her again this fall. Thanks for your thoughtful review.

What is it about butter on cruise ships? I always end up eating way too much of it.

I don't know but every meal seemed like butter heaven to me. It was so creamy and delicious. Le Bistro had the BEST butter but even the buffet butter was far above what I have at home.

Regarding the food not being hot enough for you, ask a staff member in the buffet to warm up your plate of food for you and they take care of it..

Oh gosh, no. It's bad enough navigating the buffet and I'm somehow always desperate to eat. :halo: I couldn't possibly add MORE time to the process. It wasn't a huge issue just something I noted and others on board mentioned too. It's not like it wasn't edible just not hot, at all.

But it really is a good tip for those with more patience than myself.

When we were on the Getaway and also the Escape, the staff set up a few rows of folding chairs to accommodate more people during some events. It still wasn't enough for the number of persons in attendance, but it was better than doing nothing. With regard to the people standing in front of those sitting on stools at the bar: A couple of times, we were seated at the bar during the shows and there were standees in front of us, but we realized that they were standing behind those sitting in the low seats, respectfully not blocking those peoples' view. It was our choice to turn our bar stools around so we could watch. We could not reasonably expect that there would not be people standing in that space. Thankfully, we did not witness any confrontations. We loved the Getaway though, and will be on her again this fall. Thanks for your thoughtful review.

They did set up some chairs for sure. I see both sides of the bar stool issue but generally agree with you that the standers are doing the polite thing by not blocking the low seats. However, it's still disappointing to be at the bar with this seemingly perfect seat then BLAM three people directly in your view. The shows were so good otherwise I probably would have skipped the stress of not having a seat.