Quick Tips picked up from Ruby Princess Alaska cruise (8/18-25/2018)

JAGR

First time on Princess cruise line. Will not be last!

Quick Tips/Lessons Learned:

1. Pre- and Post-Cruise: We came in on Thursday and flew out late on Saturday, so we built in time for sightseeing. I haven't been to Seattle in over 20 years, so well worth taking time to see the sights. We bought the City PASS, which allows you to visit up to six locations for one price ($89). If you are going to visit more than three locations, it is worth the money. Must see is the Space Needle with the new see-through glass floor on the restaurant level. We did that, the Chihuly Garden, Argosy Harbor tour and the Aquarium.

2. Boarding Day: We were told that our boarding would be 1:30 to 2:00. We took a ten-minute Uber from the hotel at 10:30. We checked in and were on the boat immediately. First drink in hand at 11:00. Very smooth process! They announced rooms would not be ready until after 1:00. We stopped by our room at 11:30, and it was ready. Met steward, and she told us to put anything in the cabin we wanted to. Bags delivered to room by 1:00.

3. Dining: We had anytime dining. One dining room is dedicated to assigned times, one is all Anytime, and one is assigned for early and dedicated to anytime dining at 7:30. The last one is the DaVinci (mid-ship on deck six). On the first night, there was quite a line at 7:00 at the dedicate Anytime dining (Michelangelo). We decided to wait for the DaVinci. There was a pretty good line at the DaVinci when we arrived at 7:20, but the doors opened at 7:30 promptly, and the seating moved quickly. We were a group of six, and we decided to stay with this time every night except for one late night because of excursions. We had table 407, with a nice window view and great service (Val and Jude). Nice thing was that they had 18 seats assigned to them but that was only three six-tops, which made service easy and they were able to focus on us.

4. Bars: We had the drinks package as part of the tour group, and we did take advantage of it. Several bartenders/servers stood out as exceptional. On the Lido deck, Deepak in the Mermaid's Tail was friendly, and had your drink ready as he saw you coming up. Anthony was great in the Calypso Bar (side note: ask him if he knows a server named John and check his reaction!). For evenings pre- and post dinner, we gravitated toward the Wheelhouse Bar on deck Seven. Server Vladimir was excellent and a real pleasure to interact with, He is from Siberia, but also has passports from Montenegro and Ukraine.

5. Excursions: For Juneau, since we were a group of six, we use Harv and Marv's for a private Whale watching charter. Captain Christine was very good, and we had a great time and fantastic photos of whales, "Whale Tails,", sea otters, eagles and the scenery. Three of our group did the afternoon helicopter trip to the Glacier. It was a great experience for all of us who did that. For Skagway, we split up. DW and I took the train. We did the Summit Pass trip which is 3 1/2 hours round trip on the train (not the seven hour train up to the Yukon and buss back). Great time and really scenic. The other four did a car rental and did their own tour. Knowing those couples, I am surprised they didn't get lost! ;) The fact that there is only one road to drive on may have helped keep them on track. Glacier Bay was truly amazing. We got all-day passes for the Sanctuary (book as soon as you get on the ship on Saturday to get the best locations, and it is capped at 60 people! It was sold out the first night we were on board the ship.). You have breakfast and lunch up there, you are somewhat protected from the elements, and while the glass on the side can have rain drips on them to impact photo quality, there is easy access to open deck areas right below, or an open area above on deck 18 (Sky deck). They come around with Mimosas and Bloody Marys all morning, and will also go and get you anything else you want to drink (helpful to me as Bloody Caesar fan!) You also get a group or individual picture free, as well as Princess hot/cold beverage container. With the outstanding service, free Sanctuary ear warmers to keep, and comfortable blankets and towels, it was well worth the $60 rate for day as opposed to the $40 all-day charge on other days. In Ketchikan, we did the four-wheel drive trip and last minute cheap souvenir shopping. Victoria was the brief stop to comply with having an international cruise. I've been there before so I stayed on the boat. Friends went into town for awhile and just walked around.

6. Disembarkation: We use Port Valet, which worked very well. Only problem was I worried about whether or not bags would get Priority tags since we were in First Class. When we got to home airport, two bags came off first and third with priority tags, and the last one was at the end because it lacked a priority tag. The process of leaving the boat was smooth, and all portside personnel were friendly. I had no problem with ICE, even though I carry an Irish passport and have US Permanent Alien card.

Thanks for your review! Seems like you made a smart strategy decision for Anytime Dining.

I was particularly intrigued by your comments re Sanctuary on Glacier Bay day. Most folks on cc frown on the opaqueness of the view and consider it wasted money. I am still toying with the idea for our cruise next week...

Thanks, Elli:

I was against it too, having read the reviews, but the women rule, so they came back from their first foray having made the reservation. We had drizzle until we got to the glaciers, so the bit of coverage was appreciated. You can see through the glass easily, but it does impact pictures. Those of us committed to taking clear pictures really didn't have a problem finding an area up or down to get good pics. Turned out to be a win-win.

One thing to note, is that we didn't get charged for the reservation until the evening of Glacier Bay. I asked the club manager, and he said they don't charge until they confirm you get there. I thought that odd, given that if they turn people away from reserving, they should have some sort of guaranteed revenue.

All the menus for MDR have been posted. The link is: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2639827&highlight=ruby

I thought the quality and variety was good. Two in our group are pick eater (one no lemon or onion, another no shellfish, mushrooms, bell peppers, raw fish - essentially 'no fun!') They both found something good to each every night. Only one complaint about the beef loin, but that's not uncommon. Like most cruise lines, a little light on seasoning, but you can work with that. Overall, I thought it was good.

Buffet was okay at breakfast, but I usually have eggs over easy or an omelet, and they make those to order (any filling you want in the omelets. Good variety of breads, fresh fruits, and cereal. Plenty of breakfast meats (no 'bacon police'). Only complaint is that instead of sausage and gravy, they only had bacon gravy. Okay, but sausage gravy is more universally known. Our cruise had a good portion of Japanese and Chinese guests, some they had some food prepared for them that would not be normal to many Americans. Buffet at lunch started to appear monotonous. White fish every day, broiled one day, fried the nest, repeat. Same with chicken, although they cooked half chickens and let you choose a quarter chicken if you wanted. The grill was very good, with bratwurst, knockwurst, and chicken sandwiches along with hot dogs and various burgers. Twice they add barbecue selections and twice they had a seafood theme. Pizza was highly rated, as were the baked selections and sandwiches at the International Court. Overall, you won't go hungry.

The beverages were part of the Glacier Bay package only. It would have been covered under our drinks package I suppose, but when I ordered the Bloody Caesar he never asked me for my card or room number. The original posting for the day said Bloody Marys and Mimosa from 8:30 to 11:30. I didn't see cocoa out, but I know a server got one for people next to us. They have a cocoa table set up on the Lido deck every morning outside by the Horizon Court. In the food court, they ask if you want a drink, but I really only noticed juice and coffee carafes at their stations.

Were those included in the cost of the Sanctuary or part of your drink package?

Did they have hot chocolate?

The beverages were part of the Glacier Bay package only. It would have been covered under our drinks package I suppose, but when I ordered the Bloody Caesar he never asked me for my card or room number. The original posting for the day said Bloody Marys and Mimosa from 8:30 to 11:30. I didn't see cocoa out, but I know a server got one for people next to us. They have a cocoa table set up on the Lido deck every morning outside by the Horizon Court. In the food court, they ask if you want a drink, but I really only noticed juice and coffee carafes at their stations.

Thanks!! The Sanctuary sounds good.

We tried the Sanctuary once on a cruise and were really disappointed. It was a port day (Ensenada where we never get off). It was really cold and rainy and we were totally unprepared for cold weather. We went back to our cabin and got our travel sweatshirts, the stewards gave us lots of blankets and we froze. The morning food was extremely disappointing. Haven't been back since.

We just might give it another try.

All the menus for MDR have been posted. The link is: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2639827&highlight=ruby

I thought the quality and variety was good. Two in our group are pick eater (one no lemon or onion, another no shellfish, mushrooms, bell peppers, raw fish - essentially 'no fun!') They both found something good to each every night. Only one complaint about the beef loin, but that's not uncommon. Like most cruise lines, a little light on seasoning, but you can work with that. Overall, I thought it was good.

Buffet was okay at breakfast, but I usually have eggs over easy or an omelet, and they make those to order (any filling you want in the omelets. Good variety of breads, fresh fruits, and cereal. Plenty of breakfast meats (no 'bacon police'). Only complaint is that instead of sausage and gravy, they only had bacon gravy. Okay, but sausage gravy is more universally known. Our cruise had a good portion of Japanese and Chinese guests, some they had some food prepared for them that would not be normal to many Americans. Buffet at lunch started to appear monotonous. White fish every day, broiled one day, fried the nest, repeat. Same with chicken, although they cooked half chickens and let you choose a quarter chicken if you wanted. The grill was very good, with bratwurst, knockwurst, and chicken sandwiches along with hot dogs and various burgers. Twice they add barbecue selections and twice they had a seafood theme. Pizza was highly rated, as were the baked selections and sandwiches at the International Court. Overall, you won't go hungry.

Thank you for the details provided. Very helpful. Often people seem to condemn the entire buffet because of one thing they did not like, having details of the good and the bad is very helpful.

Glad you had a good trip!

First time on Princess cruise line. Will not be last!

Quick Tips/Lessons Learned:

6. Disembarkation: We use Port Valet, which worked very well. Only problem was I worried about whether or not bags would get Priority tags since we were in First Class. When we got to home airport, two bags came off first and third with priority tags, and the last one was at the end because it lacked a priority tag. The process of leaving the boat was smooth, and all portside personnel were friendly. I had no problem with ICE, even though I carry an Irish passport and have US Permanent Alien card.

Just a note. You did not deal with ICE, you dealt with CBP, Customs and Border Protection. They are very different parts of USA Homeland Security and have different functions. You were on a Cruise Ship, CBP knows that cruisers are less likely to have an issue that would make them ineligible to enter the USA. You only had to go through Immigration and customs because you stopped in Victoria otherwise you were in the USA the entire trip. You have a ‘green card’ so you have already been vetted by Homeland Security. You are considered a low risk. The main question CBP would have for you would be if you were bringing goods from Canada that exceed the allowable $ limit and not declaring them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I omitted two other finds:

1. The wine selection is much better in Vines than elsewhere (I think everyone probably knows that), and a a number of good wines within the Beverage program threshold.

2. You can get sashimi at Vines. The do offer free sushi and tapas if you order a drink, but I mentioned that i like sashimi over sushi. The bartender said, "No problem," and i had my choice of tuna, salmon, and/or hamachi. All were as good as I've had in Japanese restaurants around the country.

What a great idea about Sanctuary on the Glacier Bay day! We have never done that area - but if we do, that would be the day! A little off topic, but if we ever do the Panama Canal cruise (after I retire next year I can fit that in!), would that also be a good day to reserve early?

• 5 weeks later...

I'm intrigued that you were able to get on board the ship by 11am. Is that highly unusual or does that happen often? I'd love to get on early for lunch when we travel in April. I understand the room will not be ready and I'm fine with that- I just want to get on, start exploring the ship and have a nice lunch.

I'm intrigued that you were able to get on board the ship by 11am. Is that highly unusual or does that happen often? I'd love to get on early for lunch when we travel in April. I understand the room will not be ready and I'm fine with that- I just want to get on, start exploring the ship and have a nice lunch.

Princess used to not start boarding until all the cabins were ready for the new passengers.

Apparently they now start boarding around 11 AM but let boarding passengers know the cabins will not be available until 1 PM.

Princess used to not start boarding until all the cabins were ready for the new passengers.

Apparently they now start boarding around 11 AM but let boarding passengers know the cabins will not be available until 1 PM.

I boarded the Ruby around 11 am in Seattle on 9/15.