Was about to book a voyage- And, sudden price increase- made me blink

EngSet

Thanks to all who have shared info re: Azamara-Appreciate all the info about the ships, staterooms, etc., both in response to my posts, as well as all the info folks continually share on the boards.

Was ready to book, then, went to bed one night, woke up next a.m., got online...and about to book- and, yikes- same promo, but fare had increased $1,500 per person for an 8 night cruise.

Not criticizing nor complaining - fares do fluctuate and shame on me for just not booking the night before; but, I had not anticipated such a fare hike while an already offered promo still in effect.

The increase pp was just shy of what the entire fare pp had been 24 hours prior for a sailing about a year in the future. Thought I had pulled up a different voyage, or the fare I was seeing was for a different promo; but, unfortunately was not the case. Looks like most trips to same destination had similar overnight increases.

Again - Not criticizing, rather, sometimes one just wants to share with others and to know if anyone else has seen or experienced the same thing- in this case, a sudden fare hike of an amount that makes you blink. Multiple blinks. Lol (I keep checking the site to make sure it is not my sight or glasses. Lol)

Thank you for indulging my need to share my surprise at the amount of the sudden pp fare increase. Again, shame on me for just not booking the night prior. Lesson leared re: putting the deposit down asap when desired stateroom at an acceptable-to-you fare is published on the web site. Plus, hoping that by posting/sharing maybe someone new to or considering booking on Azamara can learn from my lesson learned. Helping someone else always takes a bit of the sting out, at least for me.

Still hoping and planning to travel on Azamara someday. Just will be holding off on booking for a while.

Thanks for reading/listening. Wishing all a nice night. :-)

Maybe it will be included on the new promotion that starts September 1st at a better price point

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hoping you are right, Laurieb. Next time I'll get that deposit down, for sure :-)

You may want to check pricing via some of the on-line TAs. If you are a Celebrity Captains Club member that may reduce the price a bit depending on the promo.

We are doing our 1st AZ cruise later this year and when I priced the cruise on the website it was $700 more than when I contacted our on-line TA.

Looking forward to September 1st, then

Me, too, Tondakea. I'll be getting online in the first for sure.

Will also check witg a TA per the suggestion to make sure I cannot find a better deal today.

Mine's not with AZ ... but with Princess. I booked my cruise in March with a deposit. Final payment not due until 8/24th. I watched and watched prices. They went down to $599 per person. I'm sailing solo, and every discount helps. I got the price adjusted down to the $599 per person. I had also received $100 off through Amex. I also got OBC through Princess gift cards ... buy certain dollar amounts and get free additional card with XX amount of dollars. The additional cards became my OBC.

Over the past 2 months I have watched the price go from $599 pp to $622 pp to $633 pp and then BOOM .... $1049 pp and now it's $1093 pp. BIG jumps ... I wonder if a travel agency booking a large number of cabins caused the price hikes. ??

Mine's not with AZ ... but with Princess. I booked my cruise in March with a deposit. Final payment not due until 8/24th. I watched and watched prices. They went down to $599 per person. I'm sailing solo, and every discount helps. I got the price adjusted down to the $599 per person. I had also received $100 off through Amex. I also got OBC through Princess gift cards ... buy certain dollar amounts and get free additional card with XX amount of dollars. The additional cards became my OBC.

Over the past 2 months I have watched the price go from $599 pp to $622 pp to $633 pp and then BOOM .... $1049 pp and now it's $1093 pp. BIG jumps ... I wonder if a travel agency booking a large number of cabins caused the price hikes. ??

Typically as cabins sell, they raise prices; supply and demand

Thanks to all who encouraged and shared more info. For us, for the Region we were hoping to cruise, the veranda prices seem a tiny bit lower than they were before the change in the fares (nearly doubled) for inside and ocean view staterooms. (Memory not always perfect though.)

Unfortunately for us, the inside and ocean view staterooms were the categories of interest, as were their previously available price points. Thus, until the promo offering a veranda for fare of an inside is over, suspect we will be waiting to book and hoping for the best. Had we been looking at the veranda category, might be a different story.

I have also learned that fares on the web site may change in prep for a future promo before the current promo is over. That is what I was not anticipating, thus, thought I had a few days left under the promo that ran until the end of Aug. But, looks like the inside and ocean view prices for the voyages we were looking at were hit with the hike in fares a few days before the new promo started. Again, my lesson learned. :-) And, it is a while before the voyage we were looking at sails...a bit under a year; thus, still some time to see what happens with the fares for those categories.

If it doesn't work out for sailings for this region, we will watch for another region. Still want to try Azamara when we can.

Wishing all a great day.

Edited by EngSet
My typing is horrible this morning without sufficient coffee :-)

Do not get upset about price changes. It happens. I have passed up good prices and regretted when the price went up. I have been pleased when prices go down and I got to save some money. Last week, I asked my trusted TA for a price on 3 cruises. Since then, one went up by $500pp. one went down by $2300pp, and one stayed the same. Not all Azamara. The one that stayed the same was too high. It will drop. Crazy prices? I booked the cruise that had the price go down. Supply and demand drives the prices on many cruises. Whenever I shop a cruise, I check many websites and the cruise line. The trick is to know when the price is good enough. Many cruise lines offer price matching. If the price goes down, you can request the new price. I also look at plane fares, availability of flights, transfers, shore excursions, and hotels. Be patient. Never book any cruise until you are happy with the price. Do not feel pressured to book. If you miss out on one cruise, there will always be others. I also use a fare watching app to monitor price changes. Good luck.

Do not get upset about price changes. It happens. I have passed up good prices and regretted when the price went up. I have been pleased when prices go down and I got to save some money. Last week, I asked my trusted TA for a price on 3 cruises. Since then, one went up by $500pp. one went down by $2300pp, and one stayed the same. Not all Azamara. The one that stayed the same was too high. It will drop. Crazy prices? I booked the cruise that had the price go down. Supply and demand drives the prices on many cruises. Whenever I shop a cruise, I check many websites and the cruise line. The trick is to know when the price is good enough. Many cruise lines offer price matching. If the price goes down, you can request the new price. I also look at plane fares, availability of flights, transfers, shore excursions, and hotels. Be patient. Never book any cruise until you are happy with the price. Do not feel pressured to book. If you miss out on one cruise, there will always be others. I also use a fare watching app to monitor price changes. Good luck.

Thanks, Redtravel- Think that the advice to book when the fare is good enough is great advice.

We are not too bummed; practicing being flexible. There are a few lines we want to try (Azamara, HAL for promenade decks, Windstar, and Oceania); thus, if it does not work out re: Azamara for this fare, we will adapt. :-) The size of the ship appeals to us. (We are not big on crowds, lines, etc. Looking for relaxing vacation, time to read, nice scenery, good food, and solid service.)

I have warned my DH that I would like to do at least one cruise each year over the next few years; plan to make Azamara one of the lines we try. And, totally open to loving it so much that we stick with them. :-)

As far as the Azamara fares, will just keep an eye out in case the fares drop for the sailing we were considering.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Oh, one more we want to try is Viking Oceans...but, due to different price point...see that as a bit out in the future. Maybe year 5 or 6??? :-) I'd better go let my DH know that we have tentative plans for the next six years or so. LOL Wishing all a great day!

We love Azamara and also Viking Ocean, but would also recommend the wonderful Star Clippers which is surprisingly affordable and a fantastic 'once in a lifetime' experience. (although we have done two).

Thanks, Mrs. Miggins- Will check out their web site.