Tenders, Lifeboats and Davits: Will My Deck 6 Cabin Be Partially Obstructed?

vtcruising

On the Where's My Cabin thread there has been a discussion about cabins that are affected by obstructions from lifeboats, tenders (called launches on X) and davits on deck 6 of the Edge. It seemed that a separate thread should be started to address this - I would want to know about it before boarding and might want to try to change cabins. I hesitated about starting this thread because it seemed like identifying the cabins pre-cruise could be tricky - I didn't want to identify the wrong cabins. With a little detective work, I think I may have identified these cabins.

First a little description of each of the potential obstructions:

Launches (used for tendering and as lifeboats)

The spacious Celebrity Launches were designed by French yacht designer Marc Lombard and lifeboat manufacturer Palfinger Marine Safety AS.

FAST FACTS/FEATURES

• Total Number of Celebrity Launches on Celebrity Edge: 8

• Celebrity Launch Cabin Area: 829 sq. ft.

• Celebrity Launch Total Length: 57 ft.

• Celebrity Launch Beam: 19 ft.

• Celebrity Launch Total Weight: 26/36 tons (equipped/loaded)

• Seating Capacity: 223/132 guests (lifeboat/launch)

• Maximum Cruising Speed: 15 knots

• Window Area: 398 sq. ft. – more than double compared to standard tenders on Celebrity Equinox

• Seat Pitch: 32 in – 20% more space compared to standard tenders on Celebrity Equinox

Lifeboats:

There are 4 additional smaller lifeboats, one at each end of the tenders on both port and starboard.

enhance

A davit is any of various crane-like devices used on a ship for supporting, raising, and lowering equipment such as boats.

There are 6 lifeboats/tenders on each side of the ship - 3 each aft and forward, for a total of 12 lifeboat/tenders. Eight of these are tenders. They are 6 infinite veranda balconies in length. The 4 smaller lifeboats are 5 infinite veranda balconies in length. There are 24 davits (2 for each of these boats).

The cabins on deck 6 with lifeboats/tenders on deck 5 below them would have an obstructed downward view and some may see some of the tender roof at the very bottom of their balcony window.

The cabins with davits have a crane-like device sticking up in front of the lower part of the balcony, but it looks like it is to one side or the other and you can see downward to the ocean. This picture was sent to nanakatandpop by her travel agent and they switched cabins.

c2e458c8ed3ea03ddb5110d864192ca0.jpg

I very carefully studied pictures and counted cabins and am reasonably sure that the following shows the cabins affected by a lifeboat/tender just below the cabin (indicated by horizontal lines) and which are affected by davits (short vertical lines). I won't guarantee this, but I am quite sure it is accurate.

enhance

Here are the pictures I used to determine the affected cabins (blew them up). I also used a few other close ups when I had questions.

enhance

enhance

If your cabin is affected and you don't think you can deal with the partial obstruction, you could try to switch (be sure to tell them that you suspect a partial obstruction - they may have more updated info - designs and cabin numbers tend to change). Likely some cruises are pretty well sold out, but maybe could at least be put on a waitlist in case someone cancels. For those who are in those cabins, please take pictures and report back on our Edge sticky after you return. :D

PS: kearney, or others with a good eye, please see if you think this is accurate, if you have time.

I can list the cabin numbers later, if people have a hard time blowing up the deck plan.

Ah yes VT I remember our earlier discussions of this and am glad I moved down one space from 6211 to 6209. The davit bugs me more than the top of the lifeboat. They are just so hunky. But as I noted on the blocks in the house thread... the obstruction appears to be just below the rail... so the view straight out should be fine... just any photos from inside of the cabin outward will not be as attractive as other cabins. For us I was trying to find the least expensive IV cabin near back elevators. And these E3's were the best... and on portside.

Here is my best guess on davit impacted cabins... it is based on comparing deck plan for 6 vs 5. I am very sure that 6211 lines up with one... so I used that as a basis for comparison. there are a few that overlap... that is they are so close to davit that one or two cabins might be impacted.

On port side from front to back: 6131,6143,6145,6159,6161,6175,6211,6225,6277, 6239 and or 6241, 6241 or 6243,6255

On starboard side front to back: 6130,6142,6144,6158,6160,6174,6210,6224,6226, 6230 and or 6240, 6240 and or 6242, 6254

Now we have to wait to see if this is correct... but it is my best guess using available online info

Ah yes VT I remember our earlier discussions of this and am glad I moved down one space from 6211 to 6209. The davit bugs me more than the top of the lifeboat. They are just so hunky. But as I noted on the blocks in the house thread... the obstruction appears to be just below the rail... so the view straight out should be fine... just any photos from inside of the cabin outward will not be as attractive as other cabins. For us I was trying to find the least expensive IV cabin near back elevators. And these E3's were the best... and on portside.

But what about if you are seated? Will that be an obstructed view?

If you are looking through the bottom of the window vs the upper half ... then all the cabins I listed plus the lifeboat cabins in the diagram from VT will likely be at least somewhat obstructed. I am fairly tall so I was not even thinking of looking out from a seated or lower position. I am annoyed that Celebrity did not list these cabins as partially obstructed in literature

Nice work.

I'd also be interested to know how much the bow affects the view of the forward cabins. It appears the gap to the side of the ship is more than the depth of the actual balconies.

I think I have really lucked out with 6126 IV

Edited by Esprit
typo

Looking at the pictures, the lifeboats are still in their shipping packaging. Until that is removed it is tough to know whether they will cause an obstructed view. Am I missing something?

Looking at other Celebrity ships the lifeboats are many feet below the top of the davit.

Thanks, Kearney - I think you were right about most.

This is what I have (from looking at different pictures straight on and also counting 5 windows for the lifeboats and 6 windows for the tenders. If you copy and save the deck 6 plan picture that I put in here and blow it up, you can see the pattern and cabin numbers. They all have a matching cabin on the other side of the ship, with the number one off (such as 6130, 6131).

This is what I would use for the davit placement according to current deck plans:

Port:

6131, 6143, 6145, 6159, 6161, 6175, 6211, 6225, 6227, 6241, 6243, 6255

Starboard:

6130, 6142, 6144, 6158, 6160, 6174, 6210, 6224, 6226, 6240, 6242, 6254

Edited by vtcruising

VT posted this on another thread, but it shows deck 6 lifeboat and davit cabins on S class ships... great reference. Now we know from earlier posts that The Edge will have double decker lifeboats... I believe this is the first Celebrity ships with these lifeboats (but need to confirm). My assumption is that unless deck 5 has higher ceilings... that these boats likely have a slightly higher profile... I could be wrong... photos do look like the second level requires you to stoop down.... As I have noted earlier if you are standing at the rail and looking straight out... no issues... but if seated.. could impact view... you are correct that we will only know once people get on board. Possible that current photos have the boats sitting higher up than planned... and perhaps the cover is really really thick. http://thecelebritycommitment.com/360_Solstice_Class.html

There is a list of cabins that are officially considered obstructed. check out page 52... light blue type on the 2019/2020 brochure listed at the top of this link https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/company/brochures Note that lifeboat and davit cabins are not on the list.... mostly areas impacted by the MC and that section and others that stick out. But you don't need a complete 180 degree view to have a good view.

Looking at the pictures, the lifeboats are still in their shipping packaging. Until that is removed it is tough to know whether they will cause an obstructed view. Am I missing something?

Looking at other Celebrity ships the lifeboats are many feet below the top of the davit.

I think the lifeboats will be less of an issue. They are irregularly shaped on top and look like they may have a bit of obstruction very low on the balcony window in some cases, but you are right, it remains to be seen. I was talking more about the downward view that will definitely be obstructed and that may or may not bother people (and some people will weigh the price and the partial obstruction). IMO, the davits are a bigger obstruction and wanted to get that info out there. :D

Thanks vtcruising and kearney. Who knows, maybe we’ll be in one of those deck 6 veranda cabins on November 27th then we will know for sure.;)

That would be interesting - at least it will be for just 2 nights. I'll wave to you from my little porthole balcony (I'll probably get one of the ones where people walk by and peek in, if that turns out to be true). :D

We have the sweet sixteen and now maybe these cabins could be called the "darned davits" or substitute the word of your choice. ;)

We had one of the lifeboat cabins on an S class ship. We knew when we booked and I liked looking down into the lifeboat.. it was kinda neat. However.... We paid $2000 in total for a 12 day southern caribbean cruise...so at that price... I did not mind the view at all. Now when paying about double a typical 7day cruise I would want to know that.... might still be acceptable but I would want to know what I was getting for the money.

Pricing is definitely a consideration

If discounted sufficiently they might be worth it.... Some may not care about the cabin or view, esp for a short cruise.

I like a nice view. Even my AQ cabin for EDGE will be in a recessed position...view possibly blocked by the cabins on the bump out..we'll see how it goes.

Two cruisers on our Jan roll call have one of these cabins.,...lifeboats maybe not davits. Eac has a TA, They reported Celeb says they are 50% obstructed..

One was given a choice of obc from X or ability to take a small upgrade guarantee at no extra cost. Shortly after, the second cruiser was told via her TA that the ship is sold out except for very high priced Concierge cabins ($ 3000 to upgrade)... She was told nothing can be done...no OBC offered, She likes the location and got a nice orig price...does not love the view which was not disclosed at booking, Not sure if she will pursue further for some OBC,,????????

Seems everyone must cut their own deal!

No one told us the cabins we were considering were partially obstructed when we booked. I figured that out on my own. But having already experienced similar situation I was willing to take the risk... I am glad that they are now telling passengers that. Ironically I recently booked an A1 cabin on Reflection... it is on the slanted portion of the hump facing aft. The agent told me it was obstructed because I could not look forward. Actually I was surprised they considered that an obstruction. Again. no issue... for me being near the elevator near the aft is more important than view. I wonder if they will update their brochures to note the obstructed or partially obstructed cabins on deck 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Lloyd posted some photos which show a section of E3 cabins that have no obstruction. E3 on portside may have some smoker issues... not sure if they allow smoking on the entire port side or just up near Eden... But the E3 cabins are among the least expensive IV cabins that are also centrally located (at least those on deck 6). I thought I would post Lloyd's photo here since people were wondering about obstructions on deck 6. The cabins that appear clear from 6209 down to 6173.https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/d8/45/b8d845d1482c00a1f47890eb85460480.jpg . the second photo shows lifeboat cabins... keep in mind that the photo is taken from ground level fairly close to the ship... and you can still see the top window of these cabins... so the view should still be pretty good... only impact I think is the photos you take looking from the door to the window... you will see the lifeboat or davit. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/f6/77/c3f677debcd02313edecce43d2678b8c.jpg

Thanks for the links.,.

I stil think views will be obstructed when folks are seated in the Inf Veranda or in the cabin itself. To me these have more of a Veranda/ porch look..as opposed to cabins that have outdoor Balconies..Can't wait to try both! I can envision plus and minus features of each style..

One good thing about the Infinite Veranda set up is that the window can be closed to block out wafting smoke or other odors and noise from other verandas and the ports.,,..

I am booked in one of those cabins with a davit obstruction. My TA called yesterday and said Celebrity had just contacted her about the cabin being partially obstructed and offered a $500 cabin price reduction. She had asked if I could be put on a Waitlist to see if I could be moved if there were any cancellations and was told no, the offer was the $500 and that seemed to be it.

I am booked in one of those cabins with a davit obstruction. My TA called yesterday and said Celebrity had just contacted her about the cabin being partially obstructed and offered a $500 cabin price reduction. She had asked if I could be put on a Waitlist to see if I could be moved if there were any cancellations and was told no, the offer was the $500 and that seemed to be it.

The $500 is a nice offer, but since you are still quite a ways out from final payment, you could watch for another cabin to open up with less of an obstruction, if the davit is a deal breaker (and give up the $500 discount, of course).

Looking at the picture, you will still see out half of the bottom balcony window when seated and would have a good view when standing at the rail. I hope that it all works out for you and that if you take the $500 discount, you will put it toward some amazing shore excursions, dining experiences or spa treatments to help make up for the partially obstructed view. :D

It looks as though all the Panoramic Oceanviews have the partial obstruction. That may account for why the price to upgrade from a regular Oceanview didn't seem like a lot. However, it does seem strange that "X" would come up with a new type of Oceanview with a lot of glass, then obstruct it.

It looks as though all the Panoramic Oceanviews have the partial obstruction. That may account for why the price to upgrade from a regular Oceanview didn't seem like a lot. However, it does seem strange that "X" would come up with a new type of Oceanview with a lot of glass, then obstruct it.

Yes, some look to be obstructed. The name is unfortunate for those most affected. It looks like they are switching 8 of the Panoramic OV's to Single IV's on the Apex. I wonder if it will be 6224-6231 (see below) since 4 of those 8 cabins have davits in front of them and there is a block of Single IV's next to them. All of the other Panoramic OV's only have lifeboats in front of them, which look less obstructive.

enhance

The $500 is a nice offer, but since you are still quite a ways out from final payment, you could watch for another cabin to open up with less of an obstruction, if the davit is a deal breaker (and give up the $500 discount, of course).

Looking at the picture, you will still see out half of the bottom balcony window when seated and would have a good view when standing at the rail. I hope that it all works out for you and that if you take the $500 discount, you will put it toward some amazing shore excursions, dining experiences or spa treatments to help make up for the partially obstructed view. :D

Posted my displeasure on Celebrity FB page. Someone from Captains club called me. There are no cabins available. There is no waitlist. This ship is so popular that everyone wants to book it. Basically he told me that Celebrity didn't know there was a change in the ships design until just a few days ago . The big wigs met and decided that the compensation was across the board. No exceptions. So many people are affected. So they are sticking to the original offer. :(