Traveling with Minor (absentee parent)

MermaidM0mma

Hey everyone! We are on the Carnival Horizon on October 6th out of Miami. Can someone please give me an idea on what to ask my daughter's biological father to write in his letter? He's being difficult and asking me for a template. :rolleyes: I'm trying to make this as pain free as possible so if anyone out there has a template or an old one of theirs that they can share, please pass it along.

Thank you!

If you're one of the biological parents, the letter is unnecessary. You don't need both genetic contributors to travel with a minor. The letter only applies if for example a teenager is going on a cruise with their friend's parents minus either of their genetic parents or legal guardians.

Gotcha. I kept getting mixed comments on this so I wanted to clarify.

Thanks!

In reality, the only time you would possibly have an issue is when you have a different last name than the child. That is usually the only time they will ask for any sort of linking document. Although in reality they COULD ask at any time they rarely, if ever, do.

Hey everyone! We are on the Carnival Horizon on October 6th out of Miami. Can someone please give me an idea on what to ask my daughter's biological father to write in his letter? He's being difficult and asking me for a template. :rolleyes: I'm trying to make this as pain free as possible so if anyone out there has a template or an old one of theirs that they can share, please pass it along.

Thank you!

You don't know what should be in the letter.

But he is being difficult because HE doesn't know what should be in the letter and wants a template?

Maybe he just wants to make sure the letter is adequate so you and his biological daughter don't end up being denied boarding?

I sure would want to make sure any such letter I ever had to sign would be correct and effective.

You don't "need " it, but it's always a good idea to be prepared.

I had both of my sons on a cruise with out their dad several years ago. Even though we were not divorced (and still aren't!) our TA recommended he sign something simply giving them permission to travel with me. We did that, and were never asked for it. It was nice to have it if we needed it though.

You don't know what should be in the letter.

But he is being difficult because HE doesn't know what should be in the letter and wants a template?

Maybe he just wants to make sure the letter is adequate so you and his biological daughter don't end up being denied boarding?

I sure would want to make sure any such letter I ever had to sign would be correct and effective.

I guess I should clarify. I assumed it’s the same basics as the one I have used before when we have traveled by air out of the country. Name of parents, countries visiting, date leaving and expected return, etc. But he wants a template from Carnival.

He’s not being difficult because he’s a gracious person who wants to make sure we board without a problem. He’s being difficult because that’s just the person he is. Asking for any sort Of document out of this Man is like pulling teeth. But thanks for your input.

In reality, the only time you would possibly have an issue is when you have a different last name than the child. That is usually the only time they will ask for any sort of linking document. Although in reality they COULD ask at any time they rarely, if ever, do.

Ive remarried since so my name is different. I’m going to go ahead and use the one posted above as a precaution. Last thing I want is to end up needing it.

THanks everyone for your input! :D

The issue of minors sailing with a single adult, sometimes having different last names, is not so much with the cruise lines, but rather with US Customs upon returning to the USA.

US CBP is alert to human trafficking as well as parental abduction, so they may be the ones who ask for appropriate paperwork. Of course if a minor has a medical issue or some other emergency during the cruise, medical approval and proxy forms can be invaluable.

But for just getting on a cruise, normal ID is usually sufficient.

I googled parent consent travel letter (or something similar) and found many.

Here's a link to one:

https://sample-parent-consent-to-travel-abroad.pdffiller.com

Hope that helps. Better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

I always stay on the side of caution and will have a letter like this one on our cruise next month. I would hate to get to the port and find out we can't board because we don't have a letter stating my step-daughter is allowed to go out of the country.

If you get a letter, GET IT NOTARIZED! If you do need it, not having a notary approved letter will do you no good because who is to say you didn't sign the other parents name?

I highly suggest getting a notarized letter from the absent parent. My gf last year was asked for it by customs (same last name) and she had the letter. They even questioned her 12 yr old. Now when I went last year with my two kids I wasn't asked at all but your damn skippy I had that it just in case. Why risk not being able to board.

To the OP -

The three times I took a minor grandchild with me, without either parent, I wrote the letter granting permission to travel, following the template provided above.

I gave one to each parent, asked them to sign it in front of a notary and have their signatures notarized, and return it to me. I even enclosed self-addressed, stamped envelopes.

Make it as easy as possible for the parent to comply.

Happy sailing.

I always stay on the side of caution and will have a letter like this one on our cruise next month. I would hate to get to the port and find out we can't board because we don't have a letter stating my step-daughter is allowed to go out of the country.

If you get a letter, GET IT NOTARIZED! If you do need it, not having a notary approved letter will do you no good because who is to say you didn't sign the other parents name?

YES! The law says you have to have it. Most of the time it is never asked for but if it is it will be a nightmare not to have it.

I am just going to go ahead and add my experience to this post even though many others have chimed in. I have been on 5 cruises with my minor children (although in their teens) and their passports. We have never been asked for anything else. I even have a different last name. Their father has passed away. If you can get cooperation from the father (or if you have documents showing sole custody) to get a passport that will be the easiest and most secure answer.