ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

Yes, I got that about an hour ago. Makes sense to me. Haul butt passed the carolinas before the storm effects the eastern seaboard then take the two days at the end to take it easy and give the seas time to settle back down.

Thats the "Normal" NCL FL Bahamas run. I thought the two sea days on the front end was strange

I couldn’t agree with you more! They haven’t heard the last of me. I was offered to switch to one of two other weeks, but only for the Florida itinerary. If they are willing to switch weeks, why won’t they switch for another Bermuda week? This is the worst itinerary they offer!!!

Port Canaveral is a joke. I've walked through empty parking lots that have more character. When we were in Nassau in October 2016, when the Breakaway diverted from heading to Bermuda, there were lots of stray dogs, trash was everywhere and almost nothing was open. It was better last year when we stopped by while on the MSC Divina but it was still pretty run down versus what it was like twenty years ago.

Again, I'm not blaming them for changing the itinerary. I understood why they did it in 2016 and why they're doing it now. I'm upset about paying for a porterhouse steak and getting ground round instead without any adjustment to the price or an opportunity to get a discounted porterhouse later.

Thats the "Normal" NCL FL Bahamas run. I thought the two sea days on the front end was strange

Agreed. That's why I paused a little bit when I got the first email this afternoon. I thought moving fast through the carolinas made the most sense so was confused why there were 2 seas days to get there. Was hypothesizing maybe there was no space in port on Tuesday or some other logistical issue.

Having empathy doesn't cost you anything in case you weren't aware.

We've planned and paid for two trips to Bermuda over the past nearly four years and had the rugged pulled out on us twice. I'm not upset that NCL made the change to the itinerary due to the weather, no one is saying they made the wrong call on that for safety reasons. I'm upset that we've paid a premium price, twice, to go to Bermuda and we've ended up in Florida and the Bahamas both times. I could have flown to Florida and paid 50% less to take a better cruise than what we're getting now.

I'm sorry you lack the empathy to understand why that may be disheartening to someone that has had two expensive (to me at least) trips substituted for cheap booze cruise alternatives.

My point exactly. Thank you, and well stated.

I say this all just to drive home the point that "niche" is an inherently subjective term.

I see your point but a NE/Canada cruise is a niche cruise, I'm sorry but that's just the way it it. Going to the Bahamas is one of the most common cruise destinations for the American market place. Almost everyone that cruises has been to the Bahamas, it's actually pretty hard to avoid. I would say that NE/Canada is even more niche than going to Alaska and is probably rivals going through the Panama Canal as far as being common place to the average cruiser.

Port Canaveral is a joke. I've walked through empty parking lots that have more character. When we were in Nassau in October 2016, when the Breakaway diverted from heading to Bermuda, there were lots of stray dogs, trash was everywhere and almost nothing was open. It was better last year when we stopped by while on the MSC Divina but it was still pretty run down versus what it was like twenty years ago.

Again, I'm not blaming them for changing the itinerary. I understood why they did it in 2016 and why they're doing it now. I'm upset about paying for a porterhouse steak and getting ground round instead without any adjustment to the price or an opportunity to get a discounted porterhouse later.

But what if when you bought the porterhouse the restaurant told you they would make their best good faith effort to deliver you a porterhouse, but you may end up with some other form of steak, including ground round and you would not be entitled to any compensatory treatment? That's really a more apt comparison here.

:)

Did anyone get a second email showing the 2 sea days in a row on the back end of the cruise? My email has Monday - Tuesday Sea Days, Wed at PC. I saw someone posted on FB saying they received a second emailing saying we are in PC in Tuesday with Friday and Saturday sea days

Yes. Apparently in their rush to send this out, they made a mistake on the order of the sea days. Anyone else think that maybe they could have taken a step back and planned better and notified us when they were better prepared. As I said, when I called the staff were clueless!

But what if when you bought the porterhouse the restaurant told you they would make their best good faith effort to deliver you a porterhouse, but you may end up with some other form of steak, including ground round and you would not be entitled to any compensatory treatment? That's really a more apt comparison here.

I guess a lot of that would depend on what we consider to be a "good faith effort." If the Porterhouse isn't available did the restaurant really make a "good faith effort" to get another good cut of meat before giving out the ground round or did they just go straight to the cheap stuff without considering any other options?

As I said, the insurance we have (cancel for any reason) only allows 75% back because we are cancelling, not the cruise. That is a big loss -- so we can choose to lose the money or take the cruise with our friends and stay onboard in the ports. If they had offered a credit for a future cruise we would have all been thrilled, but they informed us that they are offering nothing. So basically we're roped into taking the cruise or losing the money. :confused:

But this isnt any reason, this is a covered reason. The reason is a hurricane advisory at your intended destination. If a policy is worth having, that is a covered reason and should be 100% covered.

But this isnt any reason, this is a covered reason. The reason is a hurricane advisory at your intended destination. If a policy is worth having, that is a covered reason and should be 100% covered.

They're saying no, only 75% coverage. I'll check it out thoroughly tomorrow. Thanks

I hope the escape passengers don't feel to bad..... rumor has it the Dawn is going to CANADA. Yes that's me. I'm praying for the Bahamas as this point since I'm from Maine!

The NE/Canada cruise has been on my list for almost a decade. I should have done it in 2016 or now because I wouldn't be stuck wishing I was switching places with you.

I guess my question is where should they go? They can only go so far south because of the time it takes to get back to NYC. That being said I understand not liking PC because we were rerouted there last year. I thought it was a crappy port but a lot of people went to Disney and had a blast. To each their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I sent an email off to the new Cruise Consultant I began working with since my previous Consultant is no longer with the company. I'm hopeful he'll get back to me tomorrow. He's at least aware of my past dealings with NCL Management dating back to October 2016 so hopefully that will expedite some kind of quick and adequate resolution.

I would love to hear if you have any success!

The NE/Canada cruise has been on my list for almost a decade. I should have done it in 2016 or now because I wouldn't be stuck wishing I was switching places with you.

Well being from Maine and having already enjoyed bar harbor more than once I'm wondering even what to do in Canada. I'd love to trade places!!!!

While Florence is at play Helene and Isaac are already in the making.

DmcM9mBX4AE0mQV?format=jpg

And this is what has us worried about their decision to go south -- that those two storms might catch up to us while we are in Florida/Nassau area. I've been in this situation twice, where we got trapped by a hurricane and ended up at sea for three extra days or so......I can't afford the extra days off work and don't relish the thought of fighting rough seas for most of the cruise. Granted, it's four days before we will see what the seas are like and where the storms are going, but like I said before -- I think NCL should have waited an extra day to see where the paths were headed before jumping to make a decision. We shall see -- packing LOTS of Bonine :cool:

I, too, wish we were going to NE/Canada -- I'm from Rhode Island and I love it up there. It would have been a much better trade off for Bermuda than where we're going.

I hope the escape passengers don't feel to bad..... rumor has it the Dawn is going to CANADA. Yes that's me. I'm praying for the Bahamas as this point since I'm from Maine!

No rumor, you are going to Bar Harbor and points north. My sympathies!

Looks like all three computer models are showing the same thing, going south of Bermuda and swinging up the coast hitting NC and north. Too bad we couldn't have gone North and be a little late, by then the storm would be long gone. I wonder what the chances are of NCL switching back to Bermuda???

While I am disappointed in the change of ports, I understand this is what I signed up for taking a cruise in September. I still think that Bermuda will be impacted by the storm even if it goes south. There will still be high winds and seas. I don't think that would be much fun.

Be prepared for even more changes. The hurricane will miss Bermuda but now the models are split. The Euro model has it hitting North Carolina. The American model has it skirting the US Coast and heading to New England. Its very unpredictable at this point.

Honestly, at this point I just wish they would cancel. It doesn't seem like there is any safe place to go

While I am disappointed in the change of ports, I understand this is what I signed up for taking a cruise in September. I still think that Bermuda will be impacted by the storm even if it goes south. There will still be high winds and seas. I don't think that would be much fun.

And now it looks like sailing down the coast isn't going to be fun either. Looks like North would be our best (and safest) bet. Another reason why we are so frustrated with NCL -- they offered us no options or choice and we feel like they are forcing us to take what might be a very uncomfortable and possibly dangerous trip.

Honestly, at this point I just wish they would cancel. It doesn't seem like there is any safe place to go

Your going to go and like it LOL

Does Fl and Bahamas suck? Yea maybe a little. But it is what it is, you can either change your attitude and try to make the most of a bad situation and have a good time or make yourself miserable for a week. I choose to not worry about things which I have no control over, don't sweat the small things. This is a truly a first world problem. If you want to talk about things which are truly very uncomfortable and possibly dangerous......come talk to me about my son who is serving in the peace corp or my nephew who is in the Marines in Afghanistan

And now it looks like sailing down the coast isn't going to be fun either. Looks like North would be our best (and safest) bet. Another reason why we are so frustrated with NCL -- they offered us no options or choice and we feel like they are forcing us to take what might be a very uncomfortable and possibly dangerous trip.

I'm not quite sure where you are getting your information, but have you looked at the NHC and NOAA sites? On Monday when we are sailing down the coast, Florence will be almost 2000nm away (hell, it will still be 1000nm away from Bermuda!). Seas for the journey south are anticipated on the NOAA site to be 10-15ft. I think NCL has decided the beat the storm down the coast, cruise while it makes landfall (curves out to sea) and then perhaps take a more open sea approach home.

Now, if the storm continues to track more west rather than west-northwest maybe they would consider switching back (but, if they don't change the Dawn back I would not get excited for us). One thing about that, however, is that no matter where she goes, seas in and around Bermuda are expected to be 30+ ft starting Sun morning. I'm guessing that factored into NCL's decision.