**LIVE** Fall Foliage on Adventure 9/7 - 9/17

simoner

We arrive the 16th in Quebec and have a overnight on the ship and will be staying one more night at a hotel in the city before flying home on the 18th.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Forums

We arrive noon on the 17th, then are doing a 2 hour walking tour of the old city. If you're around at 4:00 pm, we could meet for a drink and compare notes about the cruise (and thank you for your 'live' report). My email is <bcguy100 at gmail dot com>.

Cheers, Morley.

Yesterday I mentioned that we had planned a trip to the Fortress of Louisbourg. But today didn’t went as planned.

Since the flight from Amsterdam to Newark I had a sore throat. I didn’t think much of it as it seems to happen to me not often after a long flight where they turn up the AC as cold as they can.

Last night I still felt under the weather so I turned in on time and fell asleep before midnight. At 2 am I woke up cause I couldn’t breathe because of nasal congestion and my ears and head were also hurting and couldn’t stop coughing. Maybe got like 2 hours of sleep during the night and felt awful this morning.

So instead of going to Fortress of Louisbourg I ended up in the Medical facilities. Dr gave me a shot and enough medicine to help me survive the rest of the cruise. 6ec9dc201a9d00f9a6aee0ac95aa8edf.jpg

After a light lunch and putting on a sweater and scarf I ended up relaxing (read: sleeping most of the time) by the pool.

Feeling good enough to go to the MDR for dinner at 8 pm and have set a new goal for the rest of the cruise - try as much virgin cocktails as possible!

Unfortunately no port video today, but hopefully the medicine help me through the night and make me able to explore Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island tomorrow.

Have the leaves started to change yet?

Very few leaves [emoji260] changed to this beautiful red color, which is unusual for this time of year but happened because of the dry summer. Normally the change doesn’t start until the end of September.

Simone, just found and enjoying this review!

Thinking of an itinerary stopping at several of the same ports on Grandeur in July next year. What is the passenger mix like? And how were the flights /immigration/customs?

Tot horens :)

Goedenavond dutchclogs,

Most people on the ship are from Canada and the US. Heard a few fellow dutchies.

Average age on this particular cruise is 75! But that has probably to do with it being in September and the “colder” weather.

Flight with United was great - I did pay extra for economy plus - it was a direct flight from Amsterdam to Newark. Customs at the airport in Newark was a nightmare, took us almost to hours to get through. The pas couple of years I vacationed in the states it had a flight changes in the states and this was the first time it took so long.

For entering Canada we only had to fill out a form with our names and home address - that was easy.

Yesterday I mentioned that we had planned a trip to the Fortress of Louisbourg. But today didn’t went as planned.

Since the flight from Amsterdam to Newark I had a sore throat. I didn’t think much of it as it seems to happen to me not often after a long flight where they turn up the AC as cold as they can.

Last night I still felt under the weather so I turned in on time and fell asleep before midnight. At 2 am I woke up cause I couldn’t breathe because of nasal congestion and my ears and head were also hurting and couldn’t stop coughing. Maybe got like 2 hours of sleep during the night and felt awful this morning.

So instead of going to Fortress of Louisbourg I ended up in the Medical facilities. Dr gave me a shot and enough medicine to help me survive the rest of the cruise. 6ec9dc201a9d00f9a6aee0ac95aa8edf.jpg

After a light lunch and putting on a sweater and scarf I ended up relaxing (read: sleeping most of the time) by the pool.

Feeling good enough to go to the MDR for dinner at 8 pm and have set a new goal for the rest of the cruise - try as much virgin cocktails as possible!

Unfortunately no port video today, but hopefully the medicine help me through the night and make me able to explore Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island tomorrow.

Simone - so sorry to hear that you are under the weather. Rest up so you can enjoy the remainder of the ports!

Cheers, Morley.

Really enjoying following your post, I'm thinking of Adventure of the Seas next September on a cruise from New York. Where's the best place to stay pre-cruise for easy access to the cruise port. We normally fly into JFK from the UK is it better to fly into Newark?

Newark airport (EWR) is very close to the cruise port and has a number of hotels nearby. We are staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Newark (Elizabeth) when we cruise out of there in February.

A quick post to kick start my thread subscription. I want to follow your review as we are going on the same cruise starting 9/28. I noticed that you get an overnight in Quebec City...that would have saved us a bit of money.

Enjoy your cruise!

John

Goedenavond dutchclogs,

Most people on the ship are from Canada and the US. Heard a few fellow dutchies.

Average age on this particular cruise is 75! But that has probably to do with it being in September and the “colder” weather.

Flight with United was great - I did pay extra for economy plus - it was a direct flight from Amsterdam to Newark. Customs at the airport in Newark was a nightmare, took us almost to hours to get through. The pas couple of years I vacationed in the states it had a flight changes in the states and this was the first time it took so long.

For entering Canada we only had to fill out a form with our names and home address - that was easy.

Thanks for this Simone. Useful info Did you fill in the form on board or in advance of the cruise?

Good to hear about United -- Do you have any experience of Baltimore or Washington DC airports?

Hope things go better on the way back and "beterschap"

Since the flight from Amsterdam to Newark I had a sore throat. I didn’t think much of it as it seems to happen to me not often after a long flight where they turn up the AC as cold as they can. Last night I still felt under the weather so I turned in on time and fell asleep before midnight. At 2 am I woke up cause I couldn’t breathe because of nasal congestion and my ears and head were also hurting and couldn’t stop coughing. Maybe got like 2 hours of sleep during the night and felt awful this morning.

So instead of going to Fortress of Louisbourg I ended up in the Medical facilities. Dr gave me a shot and enough medicine to help me survive the rest of the cruise.

Hi Simone, So sorry to hear that you are sick!! We cruised for 45 days in Apr & May this year and started getting sick 4 days before the end of the TA, heading back to NYC. Took us weeks to get over it. Hope you do much better!

I've been to Amsterdam many times and to other parts of the Netherlands. Really love it there.

One of the ports we are looking forward to is Sydney as I am also interested in Louisbourg. I've got a car reserved and we plan to drive there.

Thanks for the review!

John

Yeah! The medicine worked!!

The syrup I have to take before going to bed knocked me out and made me sleep the night. So I was able to go on the private tour we had planned for Charlottetown, PEI.

We did a tour of the Northern Part of the Island and visited Dalvay by the Sea, Stanhope Beach, Brackey Beach, North Rustico, three different lighthouses and the Red Rock Cliffs in Canvandish National Park. In the Town of Canavdish we saw all the historic sites of Anne of Green Gables.

Before heading back to Charlottetown we had an amazing lunch at Carr’s Oyster Bar.

The day started with sun and a clear blue sky. Luckily for us it stayed like this and the temperature was around 24 Celsius / 75 Fahrenheit.

We’re heading for Quebec City now and before we get there we have a sea day tomorrow. The captain said that we have to slow down sailing some times because of the whales. So hopefully we can spotted some.

I’m looking forward to a relaxing day tomorrow. If you want to know something about the ship or cruise just ask me since I got time during the day tomorrow.

@pingpong1, I ran in to your wife and her friends at Carr’s Oyster Bar. They were having a blast!!

5d872387e4232683338d3d359d86f3fb.jpg

Loved your review thank you so much for doing it will think about booking that cruise in the future.

You’re welcome!

I really recommend this cruise. It’s port intensive and there is so much to do in each port. But that’s something I really like.

Really enjoying following your post, I'm thinking of Adventure of the Seas next September on a cruise from New York. Where's the best place to stay pre-cruise for easy access to the cruise port. We normally fly into JFK from the UK is it better to fly into Newark?

Definitely fly into Newark. JFK is at the other side of New York.

If you fly in to Newark you’re closer to port and close to Jersey City, where we stayed cause of the PATH Station which took us right into Manhattan.

Hope you feel better, nothing worse than getting the crud on a cruise, you need to be careful when flying, they are grem factories.

I know...

And it’s always too hot or too cold.

Thanks for this Simone. Useful info Did you fill in the form on board or in advance of the cruise?

Good to hear about United -- Do you have any experience of Baltimore or Washington DC airports?

Hope things go better on the way back and "beterschap"

They left the form in our cabin and we had to hand it in at Guest Service on our day in Portland.

Two years ago I had to transfer planes in Washington and that went very quickly. I think the New York airports are just to busy or we got bad luck.

A quick post to kick start my thread subscription. I want to follow your review as we are going on the same cruise starting 9/28. I noticed that you get an overnight in Quebec City...that would have saved us a bit of money.

Enjoy your cruise!

John

Thanks. Are you not getting an overnight in Quebec City?

Have a ball. following

Thanks!!

Hi Simone, So sorry to hear that you are sick!! We cruised for 45 days in Apr & May this year and started getting sick 4 days before the end of the TA, heading back to NYC. Took us weeks to get over it. Hope you do much better!

I've been to Amsterdam many times and to other parts of the Netherlands. Really love it there.

One of the ports we are looking forward to is Sydney as I am also interested in Louisbourg. I've got a car reserved and we plan to drive there.

Thanks for the review!

John

Always nice to hear that someone enjoyed my country.

Unfortunately Sydney is the only port I didn’t get off cause I got sick. Otherwise I would have gone to the Fortress of Louisbourg. I heard a lot of people saying that it was lovely going there.

Morning Simone! I hope you're feeling better, have a great day in PEI today :)

Luckily I’m feeling better. The medicines are really helping. Especially the one I have to take before going to bed. They really knock me out.

Simone - Thanks so much for taking and posting the picture of "the girls" at the Oyster Bar! They always manage to have a good time when they're together. All in all, it seems like you've all had pretty good weather for the majority of the cruise (maybe with the exception of Portland/St John).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you'll have good weather in Quebec. Best Regards.