Comparing Viking Ocean to Regent

HongKongAlan

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm reviving this old thread from September.  We did book the Regent Mariner's WC in 2021.  But...

But..since then I've been having the devil of a time getting insurance. Don't bother recommending companies to us, we've tried them all.  Complicated by us being Canadian. Have been denied by several insurers outright.  We are currently 70 and 74, so something to consider before ever booking a long cruise.

At the moment, our only recourse may be accepting Regent Care, which would be at final payment, and not with pre-existing coverage.  That would apparently cost 20% of the cost of the cruise.   This is outrageous but may be our only choice if we don't want to self-insure this large amount of money (for us.)

I am re-looking at the Viking 2021 cruise.  It's a bit longer, the PV (Penthouse Veranda) cabin would be slightly larger than Mariner.  Of course most excursions aren't covered, but then we might like the flexibility of "rolling our own", or taking a cab, not sure how I feel about that. At our age we've slowed down, so it might suit.

The bottom line is that with Viking we can get reasonably-priced insurance, albeit paid up front, a reasonable-sized deposit, and pay ballpark the same for the cruise.  It may be our only option short of just cancelling the Regent cruise.

But I still worry about the intangibles.  Would we enjoy the ambience?  We actually like a more relaxed atmosphere, and an aesthetic that is simpler, with clean lines.  (Seabourn Quest fulfilled that.)  Would we like our fellow passengers?  Despite the relaxed atmosphere, would we feel pampered and comfortable?   Background: we did a TA a few years back on Riviera and did not feel comfortable on that ship, nor did we particularly bond with the passenger mix. The VO ships are 930 pax, smaller than O-class but larger than Mariner/Voyager.  

I'm scratching my head (again.)  Very disappointed by this insurance roadblock.  Sorry about this  Merry Christmas!

We ran into a similar problem with DH's cancer until we looked into the new Mastercard with the credit unions.  With the new cc we could get $5million coverage for next to nothing as well as not bad cancellation insurance with the insurance company they use. 

Insurance sucks if you are not young & in perfect health. 

Might be worth looking into Wendy. 

From a fellow canuck.  

23 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

We ran into a similar problem with DH's cancer until we looked into the new Mastercard with the credit unions.  With the new cc we could get $5million coverage for next to nothing as well as not bad cancellation insurance with the insurance company they use. 

Insurance sucks if you are not young & in perfect health. 

Might be worth looking into Wendy. 

From a fellow canuck.  

Hmm.  Well, we do use a credit union, do you know if it's tied to a particular one?  Ours is Alterna.  Many of such things have a limit that's quite small, and they have an age limit as well, but I can inquire.  Thanks. On first blush it appears that our credit union has switched to VISA, but I'll enquire.

Mainly I'm not looking for more insurance solutions (I have an agent doing that), but to solve the Regent versus Viking versus, uh, nothing, no world cruise at all conundrum.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Hmm.  Well, we do use a credit union, do you know if it's tied to a particular one?  Ours is Alterna.  Many of such things have a limit that's quite small, and they have an age limit as well, but I can inquire.  Thanks.

I don't think so as I thought many credit unions in Canada changed to the new Mastercard company as it offered both CDN & USD cards. 

Always worth checking out. 

Collabria is the name of the MC  company. 

20 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I don't think so as I thought many credit unions in Canada changed to the new Mastercard company as it offered both CDN & USD cards. 

Always worth checking out. 

Collabria is the name of the MC  company. 

Which Mastercard in particular?  It appears our credit union is only offering Visa cards, co-labelled Collabria.  The best I can see is $2K cancellation insurance, with $5 million in emergency health care.  Health is not the issue here, cancellation is. We have health coverage for travel.  But thanks.

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Which Mastercard in particular?  It appears our credit union is only offering Visa cards, co-labelled Collabria.  The best I can see is $2K cancellation insurance, with $5 million in emergency health care.  Health is not the issue here, cancellation is. We have health coverage for travel.  But thanks.

Sorry Wendy. It was medical I was talking about for the $5 m coverage however we were able to buy our cancelation insurance through them as well. 

CU are offering both the Collabria Visa & MC. We just happen to use the MC. 

If Viking is a better deal, go with Viking.  Don't know what anyone can say since you have spent the time to do an in-depth look at insurance.  While we have no desire whatsoever to do a world cruise, if we were interested, we would look at multiple cruise lines before making a decision.

However, since your world cruise isn't for two years, why not take a quickie cruise on Viking to see if it meets your requirements.

I am surprised by these comments on insurance.  Of course I know that medical insurance is a country-specific thing with lots of "quirks" but it isn't exactly something that we think about here.  We pay a supplement of 5frs (about US$5) per month for "world-wide" medical insurance to the company that provides our government-mandated health and accident insurance and that is that.  Except that we also have a policy with the Touring Club Suisse to cover cancellation of payments that are forfeited because of health issues (concerning the whole family and not just us) or other things like a robbery, loss of job etc.  That one costs us about $200/year and also covers repatriation in case of illness abroad.   Since we have never claimed on either policy I suppose the insurers are making money from us and that is fine!  But I was under the impression that Canadians had a great health insurance scheme at home and that this covered them wherever they were around the world...Wrong assumption it seems?

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

... But I was under the impression that Canadians had a great health insurance scheme at home and that this covered them wherever they were around the world...Wrong assumption it seems?

Canadian health insurance is indeed great ... if one is in Canada.  Out of country is another kettle of coverage. Wendy and I have excellent out of country health insurance through my former employer. So the issue for us isn't health insurance, but cruise cancellation insurance. For a world cruise, such coverage involves a considerable amount of money.

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I am surprised by these comments on insurance.  Of course I know that medical insurance is a country-specific thing with lots of "quirks" but it isn't exactly something that we think about here.  We pay a supplement of 5frs (about US$5) per month for "world-wide" medical insurance to the company that provides our government-mandated health and accident insurance and that is that.  Except that we also have a policy with the Touring Club Suisse to cover cancellation of payments that are forfeited because of health issues (concerning the whole family and not just us) or other things like a robbery, loss of job etc.  That one costs us about $200/year and also covers repatriation in case of illness abroad.   Since we have never claimed on either policy I suppose the insurers are making money from us and that is fine!  But I was under the impression that Canadians had a great health insurance scheme at home and that this covered them wherever they were around the world...Wrong assumption it seems?

As David said, health coverage isn't the issue, cancellation insurance is.  And yes, because costs for health care in Canada as so much lower than some other places like the U.S., we are only reimbursed abroad for that cost, so travel medical is imperative, especially in the States--luckily we have it. 

Nice that you have such a great blanket plan.  I've never heard of such a thing before.  Cancellation insurance with pre-existing condition coverage is expensive, and usually is purchased upfront when you book a cruise.  It would be for us anything from C$15K to over C$30K, for this world cruise, if we could get it, but at the moment the only choice is the latter, very pricey one offered by Regent.

The big conundrum is whether we would like Viking enough to be on their ship for 4 months.  I'm tempted to do what Jackie suggested, but we're supposedly in austerity mode prior to this WC, lol!  I see a quickie 7-day Cuban trip we could take in February... :classic_cool:

We are really comfortable on Mariner.

Wendy, I know that you're not asking about insurance, but I hope that you'll post what you learn from your TA about that concern.    Jack turns 89 on our upcoming cruise (I'm 75), and insurance is so sky-high that I suspect this may be our last cruise — the cost has become just too high for us.   

Regent insurance is considerably less expensive, since age is not factored in.  (?)   But they don't have a pre-existing option (I don't think).    I've never been able fully to understand that whole "pre-existing" thing.   I've read about it on the insurance section of CC and spoken with the folks at Trip Insurance Store, but I can't get my head completely around it. 

Good luck, Wendy.    I hope it works out that you can stay with Mariner. 

59 minutes ago, poss said:

Wendy, I know that you're not asking about insurance, but I hope that you'll post what you learn from your TA about that concern.    Jack turns 89 on our upcoming cruise (I'm 75), and insurance is so sky-high that I suspect this may be our last cruise — the cost has become just too high for us.   

Regent insurance is considerably less expensive, since age is not factored in.  (?)   But they don't have a pre-existing option (I don't think).    I've never been able fully to understand that whole "pre-existing" thing.   I've read about it on the insurance section of CC and spoken with the folks at Trip Insurance Store, but I can't get my head completely around it. 

Good luck, Wendy.    I hope it works out that you can stay with Mariner. 

Hi Poss, they do have pre-existing coverage, but you have to buy it up front, within something like ten days of booking.  (Which we didn't, because we were told there was a carrier that would insure Canadians--they declined to cover us, which is when the whole saga started.)  I believe it was the overall cost of the cruise, plus our age in that case (currently 70 and 74.)

To us, the Regent Care coverage is very expensive. 20% of the cost of the cruise.  Not inconsiderable for a world cruise, as you can imagine.  And because we didn't buy it upfront, no pre-existing coverage.  I'm tempted to cancel and rebook just to get it, lol.

Here's how I understand the pre-existing coverage.  Normally, any condition that is unstable, been treated actively, had new drugs prescribed, within a "look-back" period before you apply (usually 90 days but if varies), will not be covered.  Right now I'm monitoring our "look-back period", and we are clear for buying the non-existent coverage, ha ha. 

Beyond that, for us at least, there's a questionnaire to fill out, and if you "fail", they won't cover you at all.  It's got to do with the number of drugs you take, and how many boxes you check. Although that is moot because most here in Canada have declined coverage anyways, even though we "passed" the initial questionnaire.

So I feel for you--worth looking into before you book your next cruise is booked, not after.  Our last PG trip was "self-insured".  It turned out okay, but it gives me chills to not insure this world cruise, as you can imagine.

I think for a "lesser" cruise, we'd probably be able to get coverage, although I don't know that.

Clearly I am lucky to be Swiss (well, I know that very well!!)   "Pre-existing conditions" do not apply here neither to our health insurance nor to our travel insurance.   Our government assumes, I suppose, that as one ages one has to have some condition or another.   But I am surprised to learn that Canadians - with such great health insurance - have to then find a "secondary" insurance if they leave Canada.  We do too.  But it only costs us 5frs/month on our normal health insurance monthly payments.  Which are not small by our standards...   

Every country is different I suppose.

Another important thing about preexisting conditions is if the drugs you take can have adverse side effects.  For instance, I have an autoimmune disease that the meds I take to control it and its damage can increase your chances of cancer.  If I was diagnosed with cancer and needed to cancel, there is a real risk without preexisting coverage  insurance would not cover cancellation.  

In the USA travel medical insurance is available from GeoblueInsurance.com - cost for multi-trip medical for two people up to age 84 is only $235/year for all the trips you take within one year from your first trip.  We've used the insurance all over the world and on cruise ships.  They pay everything with only a $50 deductible per year.  I'm not sure if it for the USA residents only.

For trip cancellation insurance I use Chase Sapphire Reserve card(s) to get up to $20,000 trip interruption or cancellation insurance for FREE.  Some Citi cards also offer free trip cancellation insurance.  I've collected on all of the various cards.  Last year I needed to cancel an Antarctic cruise on Silversea and was paid back the entire $45,000 cruise fare.

You need to check with both Chase and Citi to see if they offer the same coverages to Canadians.  For these two cards preexisting conditions are considered something you have been treated for in the 6 months before you travel - not considering ongoing consultations or medication.

Joel

Edited by SedonaJoel

Wendy, I am not objective, as we are booked on same Regent WC and would love you guys to be on it with us. Seems like you have seveal options. First cancel the Regent and book Viking sight unseen. This would make me nervous as you do not know the personality of the cruise line. Option two would be to take a short Viking cruise but under 2 weeks the demographic might be different then a WC. A week on Viking might not tell you much, especially a Caribbean itinerary. Plus as you say it is expensive. Third option is to cancel and rebook. This far out you could cancel and really look at other options and if not happy with the options rebook in month or so and get pre existing insurance thru Regent. Lastly if you choose the try a Viking cruise by the time you pay for the cruise would it equal the cost of the Regent insurance ( Regent insurance minus what you were hoping to pay for insurance). I know I am rambling as bit but it does seem to be your options. 

Lisa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelwell said:

Wendy, I am not objective, as we are booked on same Regent WC and would love you guys to be on it with us. Seems like you have seveal options. First cancel the Regent and book Viking sight unseen. This would make me nervous as you do not know the personality of the cruise line. Option two would be to take a short Viking cruise but under 2 weeks the demographic might be different then a WC. A week on Viking might not tell you much, especially a Caribbean itinerary. Plus as you say it is expensive. Third option is to cancel and rebook. This far out you could cancel and really look at other options and if not happy with the options rebook in month or so and get pre existing insurance thru Regent. Lastly if you choose the try a Viking cruise by the time you pay for the cruise would it equal the cost of the Regent insurance ( Regent insurance minus what you were hoping to pay for insurance). I know I am rambling as bit but it does seem to be your options. 

Lisa

Lisa, thanks so much for the moral support, and I would certainly look forward to seeing you onboard this cruise as well.

You've outlined the options fairly well, although I'm not sure the pre-existing insurance would be worth re-booking.  $30K+ for the insurance, and add on the built-in penalty for cancelling.  

We're feeling reasonably positive right now, who knows what we'll feel next week.  No rush to cancel right now.  

Just wanted to emphasize that I probably started this thread for two reasons: 1. to perhaps act as a cautionary tale to others contemplating a "big cruise", to consider insurance before you book; 2. not for help in acquiring insurance, but rather asking the question, "what would you do?"  Would Viking be a viable alternative, or would you just cancel and book shorter cruises?  Or self-insure?  We do have the option of C$30 grand each from one insurer, so we could get partial coverage (less than half.)

I might add something about this 2021 World Cruise.  The per diem, based on the base price of our G cabin, in USD, is a modest $550 pp/pd.  So it's a really great deal, if you like shipboard life as we do.

• Like 1

Wendy, I realize I never thanked you for your input here (there and everywhere).   The detail about how many meds a person is on, how many boxes are checked — yep, I have the feeling that even if we're not being actively treated nor had meds changed recently, an insurance company would opt not to cover us.    Or there'd be some way for them to wiggle out of paying if they did cover.   Have a jolly new year!     

1 hour ago, poss said:

Wendy, I realize I never thanked you for your input here (there and everywhere).   The detail about how many meds a person is on, how many boxes are checked — yep, I have the feeling that even if we're not being actively treated nor had meds changed recently, an insurance company would opt not to cover us.    Or there'd be some way for them to wiggle out of paying if they did cover.   Have a jolly new year!     

You too Poss, and I too thank you for your input over the years.  Hope the new year brings you much joy.

I'm about to take my first Regent cruise next week so the comparison to Viking Ocean was quite interesting. We did a Viking crossing last spring and I loved most everything about the ship itself but will say the food was average at best. While the service throughout the ship was also excellent, dining room service was poor. Lectures and entertainment were excellent. I would possibly consider Viking Ocean again especially for a crossing if the middle/upper categories were priced well. I would just go in 

not expecting a great dining experience. If dining is great as other people have experienced, all the better. 

We took a Silversea cruise two months prior and except dress requirements, that cruise was perfect in every way. Food was extraordinary, service was outstanding. As much as I hate to dress, I'd cruise Silversea again without hesitation. (Also trying Oceania in July but that's for another forum. 

We enjoy the smaller ship experience and hope our time on the Voyager brings us back to Regent again. 

29 minutes ago, molemaui said:

I'm about to take my first Regent cruise next week so the comparison to Viking Ocean was quite interesting. We did a Viking crossing last spring and I loved most everything about the ship itself but will say the food was average at best. While the service throughout the ship was also excellent, dining room service was poor. Lectures and entertainment were excellent. I would possibly consider Viking Ocean again especially for a crossing if the middle/upper categories were priced well. I would just go in 

not expecting a great dining experience. If dining is great as other people have experienced, all the better. 

We took a Silversea cruise two months prior and except dress requirements, that cruise was perfect in every way. Food was extraordinary, service was outstanding. As much as I hate to dress, I'd cruise Silversea again without hesitation. (Also trying Oceania in July but that's for another forum. 

We enjoy the smaller ship experience and hope our time on the Voyager brings us back to Regent again. 

How about the ambience of the ships?  How did the Viking Ocean compare to Silversea in that way?  That's the crux of it for us I think, feeling comfortable, both with the ship itself, the other passengers, the staff.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

How about the ambience of the ships?  How did the Viking Ocean compare to Silversea in that way?  That's the crux of it for us I think, feeling comfortable, both with the ship itself, the other passengers, the staff.

The ambience was similar but "different". I love casual and the Viking product certainly reflects a casual approach. 

I was surprised at how Silversea was not stuffy. Service was more formal but comfortable for us. There was a wide mix of passengers including a gentleman sailing his 75th Silversea cruise. Most were quite friendly. All in all, a similar "comfortable" ambience. The Viking ship in itself was far superior, however. 

Its all good! 

3 hours ago, molemaui said:

Molemaui, we may be on the same cruise.  I’d be interested to chat with you on board to see how you feel about Regent compared to the others.  We’re doing an informal M&M on our second day, I think, there are details in the roll call.  Hope you enjoy Regent as much as we do.

On 1/1/2019 at 3:50 PM, molemaui said:

The ambience was similar but "different". I love casual and the Viking product certainly reflects a casual approach. 

I was surprised at how Silversea was not stuffy. Service was more formal but comfortable for us. There was a wide mix of passengers including a gentleman sailing his 75th Silversea cruise. Most were quite friendly. All in all, a similar "comfortable" ambience. The Viking ship in itself was far superior, however. 

Its all good! 

Which Silversea ship were you on?  We love the Shadow and Whisper but are not fans of the Spirit or smaller ships.  We also find Silversea very comfortable (but not as comfortable as Regent).