Caribbean Princess Itinerary Change Due to Hurricane Issac

idahospud

We are currently onboard the 10 Eastern Caribbean sailing of the Caribbean Princess. The Captain just announced we will have an itinerary change because of Hurricane Isaac. We will skip St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Maarten. We will instead be visiting San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, and Nassau.

To those in the path of Hurricane Isaac, Florence, and Helene we are sending positive thoughts your way.

Kudos to Princess. It was obvious a few days ago Isaac was going to take over. Princess took the time to find a new path, with ports rather than days at sea, before they announced the change.

No need to give us the 20% - nice that they did. Already hearing people on the balcony next to me complaining about the 20% not being enough.

We are currently onboard the 10 Eastern Caribbean sailing of the Caribbean Princess. The Captain just announced we will have an itinerary change because of Hurricane Isaac. We will skip St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Maarten. We will instead be visiting San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, and Nassau.

To those in the path of Hurricane Isaac, Florence, and Helene we are sending positive thoughts your way.

3 'throwaway' ports vrs 3 ports (st kitts, lucia, antiqua) - not even close to an "even" swap ( st marten v turks = even)

I know, I know... still sucks though ...even with the 20%

3 'throwaway' ports vrs 3 ports (st kitts, lucia, antiqua) - not even close to an "even" swap ( st marten v turks = even)

It’s unfortunate and I’m sure disappointing but it is the chance you take booking this time of the year. You might get a great cheap cruise but you never know what the weather will do. The 20% future cruise credit was very generous.

I'm on the ship and wouldn't say it sucks. I'm pleased with our new itinerary and sure wouldn't call San Juan a throwaway port.

We had that same room and a balcony dinner in October last year on Caribbean Princess..Divine. We are back her again in two weeks and plan to repeat same. Wondering, however, if you had footstools for your chairs and a round table out there (both of which we did not have)???? Hopefully they have corrected that by now. Thanks in advance for your reply. Happy sailing.

Captain was on the TV this morning saying things might change again as we head to PR tomorrow. So could be the mystery port cruise. We just docked in STT and it's gorgeous and we're just going with the flow. Lucky we can escape. The islands can't be moved. Praying for their safety.

Diann

I'm on the ship and wouldn't say it sucks. I'm pleased with our new itinerary and sure wouldn't call San Juan a throwaway port.
I ordinarily wouldn't call SJ a throwaway port either--we've been there 5 times and enjoyed each visit, sometimes doing a ship's tour. However, I'm not sure what it will be like now, after Hurricane Maria a year ago. In searching the internet for current conditions, I found that some major SJ hotels have not yet reopened but will later this month. Don't know if the palm trees have recovered. Certainly, I would doubt that excursions out of the city such as El Junque NP would be offered yet--takes trees and other greenery a long time to recover from being totally stripped if they're even still standing. But I'm sure SJ will welcome you with open arms. Their economy needs the help your dollars will bring. We've enjoyed walking around the old city and the adjacent Castillo San Felipe del Morro. Enjoy your visit there!

Captain was on the TV this morning saying things might change again as we head to PR tomorrow. So could be the mystery port cruise. We just docked in STT and it's gorgeous and we're just going with the flow. Lucky we can escape. The islands can't be moved. Praying for their safety.

Diann

Thank you so much for posting the status of your cruise. My elderly parents are on the ship with you and I have been worried about Hurricane Isaac. Please keep posting if you can.

Thank you so much for posting the status of your cruise. My elderly parents are on the ship with you and I have been worried about Hurricane Isaac. Please keep posting if you can.

The ship isn't going to be anywhere near the hurricane (tropical storm actually) , so no worries there.

TS Isaac is forecast to pass the island chain Wednesday/Thursday, pretty much directly at Dominica.. Ouch. That's the last thing they need! Yet another direct hit..

It's a small storm, ie only around 20-30 miles across, but moving relatively slowly (originally forecast to pass Wednesday, now likely very early/midday Thursday).. So hopefully it doesn't stall over Dominica and dump loads of rain.

You can keep up and see updates from locals on the islands at stormcarib.com.. Excellent resource for island related weather updates...