Cruise Line Shuttle in San Diego

mcmarya

Yes, roll your eyes. I am well aware that the airport is in view of the cruise port and normally would not ever consider taking the shuttle. But, we have the option of taking the shuttle at no cost or getting ourselves to the pier. I am guessing that taking the shuttle may involve waiting around at the airport since it probably does not run very often. Of course, we would rather be on the ship than hanging out at the airport. Anyone have experience with the shuttle there?

One free shuttle option is to use the frequent Wyndham Bayside Hotel shuttles, which stop across the street from the pier. I’ve stayed there enough to not feel guilty over using their shuttle, I handle my own bags, and tip the driver well. On the return trip I usually walk to the airport, which helps me decompress and work off some calories (I take a shower at the USO if I get too sweaty).

Yes, roll your eyes. I am well aware that the airport is in view of the cruise port and normally would not ever consider taking the shuttle. But, we have the option of taking the shuttle at no cost or getting ourselves to the pier. I am guessing that taking the shuttle may involve waiting around at the airport since it probably does not run very often. Of course, we would rather be on the ship than hanging out at the airport. Anyone have experience with the shuttle there?

One option depending where you are coming from is to take Amtrak to San Diego. It is three very walkable blocks, albeit you have to cross several sets of railroad tracks.

I live near San Diego and I have ot heard of a free shuttle from the airport to the cruise terminal. There is the Wyndam Bayside Hotel shuttle, as one person said. there are free shuttles to the various parking lots which do go to both the port AND the airport so I suppose you could use that unless they check to see if you have a reservation at a car park. For a paid option, an Uber or Lyft might be the cheapest option as it is usually a $5 to $10 cost to go the three miles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We usually arrive day early and take shuttle to Wyndham for the night, then they take us to pier the next morning. One of few close hotels that still have shuttles. And use airport shuttles at pier to airport

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you stay at Wyndam, ask for a tower room. That way you will be as close to the ship pier as to the front desk (I am not kidding)! Easy walk over the next morning, no need for the shuttle.

If you stay at Wyndam, ask for a tower room. That way you will be as close to the ship pier as to the front desk (I am not kidding)! Easy walk over the next morning, no need for the shuttle.

So true. You feel like you can reach out and touch the ship(exaggeration, of course, lol). I have some fabulous pictures standing on the balcony! We always wheel our luggage over with no problem. I have already booked it(with points) for October 2019 when we leave (and return) on the 51 day Tales of South Pacific cruise.

So true. You feel like you can reach out and touch the ship(exaggeration, of course, lol). I have some fabulous pictures standing on the balcony! We always wheel our luggage over with no problem. I have already booked it(with points) for October 2019 when we leave (and return) on the 51 day Tales of South Pacific cruise.

That’s the best part of staying there. You are right there and can almost touch the ship lol. Still found shuttle to pier helps as last time found road rough and hard on luggage wheels.

That’s the best part of staying there. You are right there and can almost touch the ship lol. Still found shuttle to pier helps as last time found road rough and hard on luggage wheels.

So true. Also, I always rise early and watch my ship come in. It is quite a thrill.

San Diego transit route 992 is really convenient, runs every 15 mins, picks up on the airport drive in front of both terminals and is a short ride to the "B Street Terminal" stop at the terminal. I think its like $2.25 for adults, and i wanna say $0.50 for seniors.

As long as you can handle all your own luggage, its a good route to take if you don't want to take the taxi or uber and get stuck in the terminal drop off/pick up congestion.

Free versus and $8 Uber/Lyft/Taxi... I would chose the latter. The Airport Flyer bus is an option but baggage can be a pain to deal with. I would prefer to get to the port as fast as possible rather than waiting for a free shuttle. Here is the information for ride share, depending on which terminal you arrive (terminal 1 is mostly Southwest and terminal 2 is almost every other airline).

Designated Ride Share passenger pickup locations are listed below:

• Terminal 1: Exit baggage claim via the escalators, walk across the Sky Bridge toward Ground Transportation and the parking lot, exit down the escalators toward the parking lot, and turn right to the Transportation Plaza. Use crosswalk to the third lane for pick-up area. See signage for assistance.
  • Terminal 2: Upon exiting baggage claim, use main crosswalk to Transportation Plaza. Ridesharing pick-up is located in the second lane on the right. See signage for assistance.