Sail away rooms

Badgeaz

4 hours ago, CJJSanchez said:

When you do receive the room assignment?  Is it well before the sail date, or a day before, or it is when you get to the ship?  Thanks! 

Hey Cjj, as of the last 2-3 years, NCL has been assigning the rooms soon after you book, I would say within 2-3 weeks after you book the room (On average I tend to book my trips 3-4 months in advance of the departure date).. I think this is a little rare to assign rooms that early, but it's great that they do and that is what has been happening.

Just recently after final payment, prices dropped considerably, I contacted my travel agent and they were able to upgrade me to a room comparable to what I paid, so I went from an inside Gty, to an obstructed view Oceanview and more square footage... so good news for me!

Every time I have booked a Gty though, I have gotten my room assignment no later than a month prior to sailing.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 2:47 PM, Mid43 said:

Hey Cjj, as of the last 2-3 years, NCL has been assigning the rooms soon after you book, I would say within 2-3 weeks after you book the room (On average I tend to book my trips 3-4 months in advance of the departure date).. I think this is a little rare to assign rooms that early, but it's great that they do and that is what has been happening.

Just recently after final payment, prices dropped considerably, I contacted my travel agent and they were able to upgrade me to a room comparable to what I paid, so I went from an inside Gty, to an obstructed view Oceanview and more square footage... so good news for me!

Every time I have booked a Gty though, I have gotten my room assignment no later than a month prior to sailing.

I hope this helps.

I just booked my first GTY for November and already have my room assignment.   Does NCL usually keep this assignment or can my room number/category still change?    I like the location I’ve been given and am hoping to keep it.   

9 minutes ago, jdd said:

I just booked my first GTY for November and already have my room assignment.   Does NCL usually keep this assignment or can my room number/category still change?    I like the location I’ve been given and am hoping to keep it.   

It's pretty much a done deal. Very unlikely your cabin will be changed.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

We also just got our Sail Away assignment for November and we like our room! It’s a wheelchair accessible which is great for my 80 year old Mom moving around but she is not in a wheelchair - just limited.  I fear they may reassign us. If they do, would they upgrade us, or could they lower our room back to a worse room (obstructed view etc) 

Hope my question makes sense. Wondering once the room is assigned at a particular higher level of room type OA instead of lower OX, etc, if once assigned it can only go up in level, and not down? I’d be bummed now we have a good room for it to be lowered to a worse room.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

19 minutes ago, jdd said:

•  

We also just got our Sail Away assignment for November and we like our room! It’s a wheelchair accessible which is great for my 80 year old Mom moving around but she is not in a wheelchair - just limited.  I fear they may reassign us. If they do, would they upgrade us, or could they lower our room back to a worse room (obstructed view etc) 

Hope my question makes sense. Wondering once the room is assigned at a particular higher level of room type OA instead of lower OX, etc, if once assigned it can only go up in level, and not down? I’d be bummed now we have a good room for it to be lowered to a worse room.

Hi!  First time cruiser here - we book a Sail Away Balcony for POA in October.  We are on deck 7, last room before the aft cabins.  I feel like this is a decent location and we also saved quite a bit of money over the other options.  Our room was assigned as soon as we booked (probably because we booked in late July). I have read (maybe on other posts here) that POA Sail Away Balconies seem to be consistently good.   Does anyone see any potential issue with this cabin?  We have not received any Bid Up emails as of yet.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:35 PM, Badgeaz said:

I'm thinking of booking for dec this year 10 day southern early dec it would be just me and the wife. Right now on the website it's $500 per person.We are currently booked on princess same time frame. My wife is on princess with her mom in alaska and they are hating princess. My question is has anyone booked a,sail away and gotten better than they thought for cabin asssignment

We have been on 3 sail away. One in an inside guarantee the other 2 in Balcony guarantees, we have always been happy with the result, I have to emphasize though is not always the case, is the luck of the draw.

Wow, I think I am a convert to Sail Away. I've always been fussy, wanting a quiet(er) location and picked my balcony stateroom. But now that I'm retired and usually travel solo, I have to budget. I booked a balcony sail away a couple of months ago for a 15 day TA sailing next April. I just got my room assignment and it is a spa balcony, with staterooms above and below (so no noisy public spaces). I just checked the going rate and I've save $2000!!! I know there is no guarantee I will always be so lucky, but it's "Sail Away" from now on.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:35 AM, CJJSanchez said:
  •  

We also just got our Sail Away assignment for November and we like our room! It’s a wheelchair accessible which is great for my 80 year old Mom moving around but she is not in a wheelchair - just limited.  I fear they may reassign us. If they do, would they upgrade us, or could they lower our room back to a worse room (obstructed view etc) 

You are correct, the type of room will not go down. In fact, whatever your room assignment is today, that will more than likely be your room unless you go through the bidding process of paying a little bit more for an upgraded room as NCL does. In most all cases, once you have been assigned a Sail Away room, it will not change unless you specifically request it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

Happy New Year and best wishes for 2020! I have been reading some of the posts here over time and this is my first post. :)

My first cruise was on the RCL Freedom of the Seas and got immediately hooked.

I am thinking of a Baltic cruise on the Escape for June 2020. When is the cheapest time to book a Sail Away balcony? I don't really care about the location. Would they start lowering the price within 90/120 days of sailing? 

Thank you kindly!

15 minutes ago, YorkX said:

Hello all,

Happy New Year and best wishes for 2020! I have been reading some of the posts here over time and this is my first post. 🙂

My first cruise was on the RCL Freedom of the Seas and got immediately hooked.

I am thinking of a Baltic cruise on the Escape for June 2020. When is the cheapest time to book a Sail Away balcony? I don't really care about the location. Would they start lowering the price within 90/120 days of sailing? 

Thank you kindly!

I think it's harder to say with a Baltic cruise. I would keep an eye on inventory. Usually, if there is significant inventory, the price will drop after final payment (120 days out). But if inventory is moving as quickly as NCL would hope, then prices will likely just rise.

Just got my guarantee assignment. Im in the farthest forward cabin with staterooms above and below me. Category I2. I'm cool with that. Far distance from some things, but I walk 6 miles per day so it is all good. I am happy. If you book a guarantee stateroom, you need to be prepared to be anywhere on the ship.

Edited by blcruising

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Just got my guarantee assignment. Im in the farthest forward cabin with staterooms above and below me. Category I2. I'm cool with that. Far distance from some things, but I walk 6 miles per day so it is all good. I am happy. If you book a guarantee stateroom, you need to be prepared to be anywhere on the ship.

What ship and cabin?

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Just got my guarantee assignment. Im in the farthest forward cabin with staterooms above and below me. Category I2. ... I walk 6 miles per day so it is all good. I am happy. If you book a guarantee stateroom, you need to be prepared to be anywhere on the ship.

Congrats, that's on the BA ... figure, oh, about 160 steps from the Fwd staircase & elevators.  Now, you will need to keep those window curtains/shades down at night, as requested, to avoid distracting lights being bounced up to the bridge above you.  

The former occupants probably just as happy as they likely got their upgrade bid accepted to move up ... 

Enjoy your cruise ! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I think it's harder to say with a Baltic cruise. I would keep an eye on inventory. Usually, if there is significant inventory, the price will drop after final payment (120 days out). But if inventory is moving as quickly as NCL would hope, then prices will likely just rise.

How do you check inventory for a ship?

23 minutes ago, outbackpaul said:

How do you check inventory for a ship?

I use a travel agency site that shows more than 15 rooms per category (NCL only shows 15). Unfortunately I am not allowed to mention specific travel agency sites on Cruise Critic.