Interesting Article re Climate Change and Glaciers

babs135

I read some of John Muir's writings and adventures. He said some of the same things over a hundred years ago but didn't blame it on climate change. Hey, if you fall into a crevasse, nobody is going to rescue you!

I remember asking a ranger at Mendenhall Glacier about receding glaciers. He said that half of Alaska's glaciers are receding and the other half are growing.

I read some of John Muir's writings and adventures. He said some of the same things over a hundred years ago but didn't blame it on climate change. Hey, if you fall into a crevasse, nobody is going to rescue you!

I remember asking a ranger at Mendenhall Glacier about receding glaciers. He said that half of Alaska's glaciers are receding and the other half are growing.

We watched a nice film at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitors’ Center. The narrator said that the lake in front of the glacier had never existed until recent years. Then he told us the name that the native people had given that lake in ancient times. :confused: I think the climate can and does change in lots of ways. (FWIW, I also agree that we should take the best care of the planet that we possibly can.)

I suppose it makes sense:confused:. Before the talk of man induced climate change most people had probably never heard of glaciers and ice caves. It's like any tourist attraction, if the media start talking about it people want to know about it and naturally they want to go visit it:p, so it isn't a surprise visitor numbers are increasing and sadly when the numbers go up, the chances for reckless tourists to turn up also increases:o.

Unfortunately, in Glacier National Park they are all receding. There were over 100 glaciers when the park was established back in 1910; now only 26.