Signs!

Turtles06

Seriously??? When you can speak 2 or 3 languages and not making a few spelling mistakes, then you can judge.

We are not talking about private correspondence. Written business communication requires a higher standard.

I admire people like my maternal grandfather who spoke six languages or my mother who speaks three. Sadly my grasp of a second and third have suffered from lack of use.

So what? HAL choses to use English as its lingua franca. Knowing it is not a first language for many staff it seems reasonable to think the company should have policies in place to prevent embarrassment.

I'd be willing to selflessly stay aboard ship and volunteer my services to proofread any and all materials -- signs, dailies, menus, heck -- even adverts for the spa.

I feel it's the least I could do. (Or should that be: Its the least I could do.... :confused:)

Thanks for your work in keeping ships safe. :D

I find my work in keeping the world safe from grammar, spelling and punctuation issues is often underappreciated; ne'ertheless I persist.

One might wonder how the world is kept safe by my efforts -- I have only to point to the difference in the following:

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

"Let's eat Grandma!"

C'mon now, are you splitting hairs here?:o

This elevator?

Thanks proof reader. I wasn’t a A student in English, Ended up being a marine engineer and project manager that refits and keeps ships safe.

( that would be "an A student") by the way. :rolleyes: I'm sorry.. is this a statement that you somehow are better than the rest of us?

When I can speak and write another language without any errors, I can then point a finger at mistakes that others who are not native speakers of english have made.

When I see errors that many have given examples of in this thread, I usually think to myself: "They are doing better in english than I can in their language."

Enjoy the little language glitches as proof that one is out of one's tiny little part of the world and that others do exist that speak other languages.