Signs!

Turtles06

Yes, we can build those ships right here at Newport News Shipbuilding, one of the largest contractors in the world, where almost all new Navy ships (aircraft carriers and subs) are built. BUT the problem is cost. It would probably cost twice what a cruise line is willing to pay to build one of their ships here. To my knowledge, the last cruise ship built here was the ss United States, which still holds the record for a trans-Atlantic crossing.

That’s exactly what I said......we can’t build them efficiently..... we tryed with pride of America class was last ones and ended up being completed in eroupe and only the Pride of America built and heavily modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s exactly what I said......we can’t build them efficiently..... we tryed with pride of America class was last ones and ended up being completed in eroupe and only the Pride of America built and heavily modified.

Building passenger vessels is a very complicated and specialized undertaking.

The European shipbuilders have the technical knowhow, the best marine engineers and builders and the most experience. ( sometimes doubting about Fincantieri but they are cheap and deliver the product as promised).

Recently, Mitsubishi in Japan thought they could build Aida Nova and Aida Perla better and cheaper than Meyer in Papenburg, EU. It proved to be an absolute tragedy and financial nightmare for Mitsubishi, a company known for technical excellence.

A few years ago sailing from Boston to Ft Lauderdale the Daily Program reported, " today we will be sailing off the Atlantic coast as we pass North and South Dakota.

Maybe I could see Mt Rushmore if the ship had a Hubbell telescope :eek:

And don't forget when (dis)embarking a tender to :'Mind your Head'...

The European shipbuilders have the technical knowhow, the best marine engineers and builders and the most experience. ( sometimes doubting about Fincantieri but they are cheap and deliver the product as promised).

Recently, Mitsubishi in Japan thought they could build Aida Nova and Aida Perla better and cheaper than Meyer in Papenburg, EU. It proved to be an absolute tragedy and financial nightmare for Mitsubishi, a company known for technical excellence.

True that, but don't forget Diamond Princess (2004) and Sapphire Princess (2004), both built by Mitsubishi HI for Princess Cruises

True that, but don't forget Diamond Princess (2004) and Sapphire Princess (2004), both built by Mitsubishi HI for Princess Cruises

And those two vessels also had their share of issues during building, including a major fire...

Still, Mitsubishi is a renowned yard obviously, I am a fan of Anything Japan, but I am curious if they will get or want new orders.

Aida went back to Papenburg for her latest addition.

Yes, we can build those ships right here at Newport News Shipbuilding, one of the largest contractors in the world, where almost all new Navy ships (aircraft carriers and subs) are built. BUT the problem is cost. It would probably cost twice what a cruise line is willing to pay to build one of their ships here. To my knowledge, the last cruise ship built here was the ss United States, which still holds the record for a trans-Atlantic crossing.

My first birthday party was in the dining room of the ss United States in 1953. Still have the photo! No wonder I love to cruise so much. Thanks Mom!

SS United States was undoubtedly one of the Finest vessels that ever sailed the High Seas.

My all time favourite is still the Normandie though. THAT was the real Queen of the Seas.

I'd go with Sagafjord, different class as the big boys, but also a true ocean liner from a different era

I love the little English translation errors in the ships' signs & on the What's Up daily pages. They really are funny sometimes. But I am always more forgiving when English is not the first language.

I never comment to the ship about any errors, unless it could cause an issue in an emergency or it's a problem with a food label that could be an allergen.

Same thing when the Sapphire and Diamond Princess were built. The ship to be named Diamond caught fire during later part of completion and names were switched to Sapphire Princess. Several welders went to jail for in proper safety during welding that set Carpet and card board on fire on next deck up

Same thing when the Sapphire and Diamond Princess were built. The ship to be named Diamond caught fire during later part of completion and names were switched to Sapphire Princess. Several welders went to jail for in proper safety during welding that set Carpet and card board on fire on next deck up

Also built in Japan

Incorrect apostrophes are called greengrocer's apostrophes. See how many errors you can find on your next trip to the store.

The head of the Greengrocer's Guild in Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series even spoke with misplaced apostrophes. For more fractured English examples, I recommend the Anguished English books by Richard Lederer.

Please do realize that most HAL crewmembers do not speak English as first language but know several languages, which is more than what can be said about most people who DO have English as their mother tongue.

So what? HAL choses to use English as its lingua franca. Knowing it is not a first language for many staff it seems reasonable to think the company should have policies in place to prevent embarrassment.

So what? HAL choses to use English as its lingua franca. Knowing it is not a first language for many staff it seems reasonable to think the company should have policies in place to prevent embarrassment.

Seriously??? When you can speak 2 or 3 languages and not making a few spelling mistakes, then you can judge.