Marriage license required?

Postman806

I find this entire topic odd. I don't remember sending in our marriage certificate when we were applying for passports. The only time my wife needed to present that document was after we were married to change the name on her DL and SS card. I just went to the passport application website and there is no mention of needing a marriage license to bridge the gap between the maiden name and the married name. They ask for the spouses full name and if you were divorced or widowed but no request for a marriage certificate. If you don't need that to obtain a passport why is the cruise line asking for it?

Like others have said I would bring it just incase. You never know who you will be dealing with when checking in and we all have read about situations where two different reps give two different answers to the same question.

I had to get my passport earlier this year in preparation for our upcoming cruise, had the passport application done at the local post office, and they definitely required my marriage certificate. In fact, they mailed it in with the rest of the paperwork and said my marriage certificate would probably be returned separately from my birth certificate. And that's exactly what happened - two separate USPS packets. Now, I did have a passport back when I was a teenager (MANY years ago), so obviously my name had changed since my last passport, but I'm pretty sure I read that you had to provide the marriage certificate regardless of whether or not you had had a passport before if you weren't getting a renewal passport.

OP, I would definitely have that marriage certificate ready to show as well. It doesn't hurt to bring it and it will help the process flow faster if they do need it at the port. I'd hate for them to lose out on the cruise just because a few people haven't had to show it in the past.

So my MIL who is divorced is coming with us on a cruise in December. She kept her married last name, does she need to bring her divorce certificate or her marriage certificate with her?

Since your MIL driver license likely is in her married name she will need to bring her marriage certificate which is the link between the different DL and BC last names.

Divorce certificate isn't needed unless she wishes to remarry while onboard your cruise.;p

So can DHS when they are checking all of the passengers.

Well I'm stumped then. I wonder if this is new? Passport topics always come up but this is the first that I'm reading about this. It's not like a married woman boarding a cruise ship without a passport is such a rare event on a closed loop sailing.

I had to get my passport earlier this year in preparation for our upcoming cruise, had the passport application done at the local post office, and they definitely required my marriage certificate. In fact, they mailed it in with the rest of the paperwork and said my marriage certificate would probably be returned separately from my birth certificate. And that's exactly what happened - two separate USPS packets. Now, I did have a passport back when I was a teenager (MANY years ago), so obviously my name had changed since my last passport, but I'm pretty sure I read that you had to provide the marriage certificate regardless of whether or not you had had a passport before if you weren't getting a renewal passport.

OP, I would definitely have that marriage certificate ready to show as well. It doesn't hurt to bring it and it will help the process flow faster if they do need it at the port. I'd hate for them to lose out on the cruise just because a few people haven't had to show it in the past.

This must be a new procedure. Last month I had to renew my DL and I got real ID didn't see the need to get enhanced since I have a passport. I had to bring my current DL, a passport, social security card, a NY state tax return or my w4 and a utility bill. So maybe they are just getting more secure with the maiden/ married name.

Well I'm stumped then. I wonder if this is new? Passport topics always come up but this is the first that I'm reading about this. It's not like a married woman boarding a cruise ship without a passport is such a rare event on a closed loop sailing.

I am new to the Royal forum so I can't say but I know that neither CCL nor NCL requires a marriage certificate although most people bring them just because it's better to be safe than sorry.

That you had a passport issued in a different name is probably the reason why you had to provide your marriage certificate. I see nothing on the State Dept website saying they are needed for a first time passport.

Since your MIL driver license likely is in her married name she will need to bring her marriage certificate which is the link between the different DL and BC last names.

Divorce certificate isn't needed unless she wishes to remarry while onboard your cruise.;p

That's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure. I'm sure there's all sorts of love connections that occur on cruise ships.

This must be a new procedure. Last month I had to renew my DL and I got real ID didn't see the need to get enhanced since I have a passport. I had to bring my current DL, a passport, social security card, a NY state tax return or my w4 and a utility bill. So maybe they are just getting more secure with the maiden/ married name.

If you were a woman who has changed her name several times because of marriage, divorce (and remarriage for some) , you would have had a much more difficult time if your proof of citizenship was a birth certificate and not a passport.

Linking documents for each name change (marriage license, divorce papers) from birth to current day would have been required.

So my parents, age 82 and 79 are taking their first cruise. They ere told to bring their marriage certificate with them. They don’t have passports and are using birth certificates and state issued ID at boarding. I’ve never heard of the marriage certificate requirement before. Neither of our daughters-in-law needed them with Carnival. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This wouldn’t make any sense unless the form of legal ID she is using has her maiden name, or a different name, from her current legal name (although even in that case I would assume they would required an ID matching the legal name).

The only time that I’ve had to do anything like that for my elderly mother was after there were some paranoid laws passed in our state to make it as hard to get a legal ID as possible - but that also ended up making it very difficult for the elderly in our state. They required her (at age 84) to get a notarized copy of her birth certificate AND her marriage license (and from a county 5 hours drive from her home). If I not been there to help her she wouldn’t of been able to do it all at all.

I put that experience only to say that I realize that it’s bad when we are treated unjustly, but it’s mega frustrating when it feels that elderly parents are being treated unfairly! I wish you luck in getting this worked out :)

Lynn

This wouldn’t make any sense unless the form of legal ID she is using has her maiden name, or a different name, from her current legal name (although even in that case I would assume they would required an ID matching the legal name).

The only time that I’ve had to do anything like that for my elderly mother was after there were some paranoid laws passed in our state to make it as hard to get a legal ID as possible - but that also ended up making it very difficult for the elderly in our state. They required her (at age 84) to get a notarized copy of her birth certificate AND her marriage license (and from a county 5 hours drive from her home). If I not been there to help her she wouldn’t of been able to do it all at all.

I put that experience only to say that I realize that it’s bad when we are treated unjustly, but it’s mega frustrating when it feels that elderly parents are being treated unfairly! I wish you luck in getting this worked out :)

Lynn

If her state ID had her maiden name it would match her birth certificate, so no need for marriage certifictae.

If her state ID had her maiden name it would match her birth certificate, so no need for marriage certifictae.

I guess that I'm not quite sure how you had a quarrel with what I said? Although lately it doesn't seem to take much for people to quarrel here it seems :o But by my reading of the original post (as quickly as I did it, granted), I didn't see specifics on which name, etc and so I made a general statement - perhaps you didn't like the way it was worded, but the point was it wouldn't make sense to bring it unless her name differed on her legal ID. That seems pretty accurate to me in terms of what could POSSIBLY be the cause of them requesting it.. I was making the same point you made, doesn't seem to be likely she needs it.

You are the first person I've seen that has had this problem, which is problematic because there is no written requirement for the marriage license that I've ever seen in the regulations and I haven't found such a requirement on Royal's website (but given the condition of said site it's not surprising).

Yep exactly I was one of 5 people that day I tried for hours to get my marriage certificate on a Saturday

I guess that I'm not quite sure how you had a quarrel with what I said? Although lately it doesn't seem to take much for people to quarrel here it seems :o But by my reading of the original post (as quickly as I did it, granted), I didn't see specifics on which name, etc and so I made a general statement - perhaps you didn't like the way it was worded, but the point was it wouldn't make sense to bring it unless her name differed on her legal ID. That seems pretty accurate to me in terms of what could POSSIBLY be the cause of them requesting it.. I was making the same point you made, doesn't seem to be likely she needs it.

That was a quarrel? :'):'):'):')

And yes her name on her ID is different than her birth certificate. That's the whole point.

You actually made the opposite point than I made.

That was a quarrel? :'):'):'):')

And yes her name on her ID is different than her birth certificate. That's the whole point.

You actually made the opposite point than I made.

Quarrel, attempt to demean, chronic grumpy attitude....decide which you want, any will fit -

I was at work, I read the original post between the last two patients and responded. The original post does not say anything about the names being different. Not that I saw. In fact it completely leaves open the “why”. I was simply adding my experience. It honestly is people like you who have some people avoiding posting, because too often someone with no legitimate cause will jump on them or criticize them without reason other than (apparently) they don’t have meaningful activities in their lives or never learned to play nice. It’s just getting tiresome.

Edited by 2Beeze

I see nothing on the State Dept website saying they are needed for a first time passport.

It does say for first time applicants, if the B/C and name you want on the PP are different then you have to present an original certified document showing the link. So, I guess if you are married but legally use your maiden name or want your PP in your maiden name then you wouldn't have to show anything other than the certified B/C.

BTW: here's an interesting factoid from DOS, if you request the name change within one year of getting your prior PP they waive the fees.

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

This issues has been discussed several times over the years.

I am new to the Royal forum so I can't say but I know that neither CCL nor NCL requires a marriage certificate although most people bring them just because it's better to be safe than sorry.

From Carnival FAQ "...It is important that the guest's full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding...."

From Carnival FAQ "...It is important that the guest's full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding...."

This is not what the topic is about. The OP's parents are traveling without a passport. Therefore the last name (maiden name) on the birth certificate doesn't match the last name of the photo ID. This is why the woman needs to bring the marriage certificate in addition to the other documents. This is not the same as the name on your ID matching the airline or cruise line booking. I have never seen the discussion of a marriage certificate being needed on any of the boards. When newlyweds book their honeymoon and we were advised to do this 30yrs ago, the bride always books using her maiden name knowing that all of her ID will be in that name and that the marriage license has to be filed before they receive the marriage certificate. Our first cruise on Royal Caribbean was 18yrs ago. We didn't have passports. We took DL and birth certificates. My wife's documents didn't match as one had the maiden name and one had her married name. Nobody gave it a second thought and we sailed through customs when we arrived home.

Yep exactly I was one of 5 people that day I tried for hours to get my marriage certificate on a Saturday

Too bad someone couldn't have faxed it from home. Again, I see now that this is Royal's requirement but it's more than what the regulations call for and because of that I would have fought tooth and nail for a refund (which of course may not have done much good, but I would have had to try).

It does say for first time applicants, if the B/C and name you want on the PP are different then you have to present an original certified document showing the link. So, I guess if you are married but legally use your maiden name or want your PP in your maiden name then you wouldn't have to show anything other than the certified B/C.

BTW: here's an interesting factoid from DOS, if you request the name change within one year of getting your prior PP they waive the fees.

Would you mind providing a link to the page where that information is? I do know that when DW applied for her passport she was not required to provide her marriage certificate and her name is definitely different on her documents.

That's in the section talking about airline tickets and it also says if the name is different on the photo ID than on the ticket, not the name being different on the birth certificate. Carnival never asked us for our marriage certificate and I've never read of an instance where someone was denied boarding for not having it (the first time I've read of it is here).