Prices in Canadian funds

HMSDingy

First time sailing with HAL & I noticed that, because we're Canadian, the prices on their website are in Canadian funds. This kind of sucks because, depending on the exchange rates, the prices keep fluctuating. The beverage package I'm looking at has gone up. Is there a way to book packages & excursions in US funds as I have a US credit card & US account.

I haven't tried this recently but you used to be able to use another email to register, and then select your location as "United States". Then you would need to sign in using your "US location email" to get US pricing.

Or use a US online travel agency to see the US prices.

OR phone HAL and specify "US $$s" when you speak with them.

If you go to the HAL US website and compare cruise prices to those on the Canadian site, you'll generally find that the CAD prices on the Canadian site are actually better than the USD prices on the US site converted to CAD. Consequently, if you are booking through HAL, you are generally better of doing so through the Canadian site. Once booked, all purchases must be in CAD. Just keep an eye on fluctuating rates and make your purchase when the Loonie is up.

Using a US-based TA versus Canadian TA? You need to be very careful in considering US prices, your Canadian bank's conversion rate and the prices available through Canadian TA's.

You can indeed book in US $ if you so choose.

It helps to have a crystal ball and know which way the Cdn $ is going to go ;)

A number of years ago, when I compared I was better off paying in US $ evern with the risk of currency fluctuations.

Since then, when I have checked and compared the pricing in Cdn $ has been favourable for us and we have stuck to the Cdn $ pricing especially in these uncertain times ;)

If you wait until you board, then they will be charged to your onboard account and that will be US dollar.

It's a risk with the excursions, as they may book out.

As far as I remember you can purchase the Beverage pack onboard within the first 2 days of the sailing

First time sailing with HAL & I noticed that, because we're Canadian, the prices on their website are in Canadian funds. This kind of sucks because, depending on the exchange rates, the prices keep fluctuating. The beverage package I'm looking at has gone up. Is there a way to book packages & excursions in US funds as I have a US credit card & US account.

When you mentioned Cdn funds, I thought you were talking about cruise pricing. All the 'extras' like beverage packages, excursions, specialty dining, etc. Are in US $ not Canadian.

If you are booking the beverage package separately (not part of explore4) just go to the HAL site, log in and you can book the beverage package and any excursions and pay with your US credit card. No problem

Only the pricing for the cruise itself shows in Cdn $.

Hope this helps.

You can ask your TA or PCC to give you pricing in CAD or US funds. If you pay for your cruise in CAD currency, the online purchases under 'Indulgences' will be charged to your credit card in US$.

Thanks for correcting my earlier post, where I said online purchases would be in CAD if your booking was in CAD. That's the case with another line, but as you say, HAL charges you in USD.