When will the Caribbean Princess Propulsion issues be fixed

blue cow dog

On 4/19/2019 at 10:19 AM, stuarth42 said:

My son says it is terribly hot down in the engine room the upside is he gets very big meals they work 12 hours a day day in day out they are supposed to be there for a month but he cannot see it being finished by that timek

received_675765846188383.jpeg

I did not say that the ship would be on time rather not on time I said they were behind with the schedule on the motor  ut.have caught up

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Sure hope you don't get your son in a bind over these postings.   🤔

No it is good.publicity  for his firm

Besdides you can find the power trainof each .ship on The www It.is not.a nuclear sub after all

They are.proud to do the job

Strange attitude here

Fact is better than all the speculation i would have thought

They.are .on.sched and the ship.will not dry dock

Edited by stuarth42
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, stuarth42 said:

Besdides you can find the power trainof each .ship on The www It.is not.a nuclear sub after all

They are.proud to do the job

Strange attitude here

Fact is better than all the speculation i would have thought

They.are .on.sched and the ship.will not dry dock

Just a comment.

No malice intended.

Thank you stuarth42 for the inside information on the propulsion issue.  Hopefully this will solve the problem with the CB speed issue.  It has to be fixed and quickly since every day means no revenue from the ship.  Glad to hear they are feeding the workers well while working them 12 hours a day.  Being a retired engineer, I can relate to corporations needed it repaired quickly but never had to work on a project this long.  I have though only been allowed to work from 5 PM or so until they reopened the next morning.  Love that night duty (ha!).  

This may/is a loss of revenue for Princess, but it is a "planned loss". This dry dock repair of the propulsion system has been in the works for more than a year with the ordering of parts and scheduling of dry dock time and other assorted things.  It's not like you can run down to Walmart and pick this stuff up. The only obvious problem of delays was the unforeseen damage to dock #2 with the Oasis incident. This is what seems to be getting a lot of people nervous on a bunch of other threads because they are worried that it will affect their upcoming cruises starting in the middle of May.

Edited by cruisingpeople

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Just a comment.

No malice intended.

Thank you I do admit I'm a little bit touchy in fact I'm bloody touchy I used to be a ship builder but I had a stroke and I'm not a happy chappy

Anyway the job is going well there is a big crew on the propulsion motor from Sydney Newcastle and Brisbane they are enjoying the food on the ship and getting stuck in and making a quid I would hope one of the crew is 64 and they have to get up inside onto the  and drill out the coil holding are wedges and that's all done it's quite amazing how much does there is inside that housing you would think at sea that the atmosphere would be quite clean

To tell you the truth I'm not very familiar with electric motors my speciality is 4-cycle diesels of which this ship has four they are 16 cylinder Wartzila Sulzer

There is an excellent video on YouTube about how that company was formed in Switzerland or maybe it was Austria Sulzer

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stuarth42 said:

Thank you I do admit I'm a little bit touchy in fact I'm bloody touchy I used to be a ship builder but I had a stroke and I'm not a happy chappy

Anyway the job is going well there is a big crew on the propulsion motor from Sydney Newcastle and Brisbane they are enjoying the food on the ship and getting stuck in and making a quid I would hope one of the crew is 64 and they have to get up inside onto the  and drill out the coil holding are wedges and that's all done it's quite amazing how much does there is inside that housing you would think at sea that the atmosphere would be quite clean

To tell you the truth I'm not very familiar with electric motors my speciality is 4-cycle diesels of which this ship has four they are 16 cylinder Wartzila Sulzer

There is an excellent video on YouTube about how that company was formed in Switzerland or maybe it was Austria Sulzer

Thanks for the details. I am familiar with Wärtsilä. I will check out the video.  🙂

33 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

This thread has taken a weird turn.  If they scheduled a month for the work, I'm pretty sure they knew how long it will take to get the work completed.  They are usually very good with these kinds of estimates because missing cruises costs them money.

No idea about the rest of the maintenance I can only speak for a what's happening on the propulsion motor and that's running well apparently on time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stuarth42 said:

Not that good. You came out here and said that they were far behind schedule on a  Job for a large customer. 

That could make the large customer very nervous, and cause problems.

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

This thread has taken a weird turn.  If they scheduled a month for the work, I'm pretty sure they knew how long it will take to get the work completed.  They are usually very good with these kinds of estimates because missing cruises costs them money.

Not really.......

Were they able to plan in advance for the loss of dry dock space because of a shipyard accident?

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Not really.......

Were they able to plan in advance for the loss of dry dock space because of a shipyard accident?

But this propulsion motor work does not require a dry dock, so the loss of dock #2 is irrelevant.  Now, she should be due for a statutory dry dock inspection, but that can be a separate issue, and when Athens Star exits dock #3, we'll see whether CB docks then.

Edited by chengkp75

38 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I would assume, perhaps wrongly so, that if the issue at the shipyard would prevent them from completing their work during the  time alotted, they would have rescheduled or made other arrangements. 

Which comes back around to the original comment about the possibility of canceling cruises.

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

But this propulsion motor work does not require a dry dock, so the loss of dock #2 is irrelevant.  Now, she should be due for a statutory dry dock inspection, but that can be a separate issue, and when Athens Star exits dock #3, we'll see whether CB docks then.

Thanks!  It is a beautiful evening in Freeport.  😎

image.png.47d3958b0182248b50d2b149a3e56877.png

On 10/1/2018 at 2:51 AM, satxdiver said:

We were on the CB on a west bound TA in the fall of 2016 and the CB was having problems then. The ship had taken on engine experts to assess the problem and fix it before we left for NA without success. Last stop was three ports in Iceland. Each screw has a electrical generator to produce the electrical power for the electric motors that drive the screws. One of the electrical generators is not able to run at full speed and hence produce enough electrical power to run the electrical motor driving one of the screws. Replacing parts of the generator requires a dry dock since a hole as noted has to be cut into the side of the ship to allow extensive repairs. Hopefully this will cure the problem with the CB's propulsion. Happy to hear they are bringing aboard experts to assess the situation before the ship reaches dry dock.

I alway got a chuckle when people talk about railroad diesel locomotives. The locomotive itself is driven by electrical motors and the car attached behind is the generator running on diesel fuel generating the electrical power to run the engine. Electrical motors are quite powerful more so than a gasoline/diesel engine.

Actually, the main reason to run generators is to avoid the need of a transmission or gear system connected to the prop shafts to vary their RPM  The generators are run by huge 12/14/16 cylinder Finnish Wartsila internal combustion engines.  The Wartsilas run generators which provide power to electric motors which drive the prop shafts.

5 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Actually, the main reason to run generators is to avoid the need of a transmission or gear system connected to the prop shafts to vary their RPM  The generators are run by huge 12/14/16 cylinder Finnish Wartsila internal combustion engines.  The Wartsilas run generators which provide power to electric motors which drive the prop shafts.

Diesel-electric locomotives operate in effectively the same manner as a modern cruise ship.  Internal combustion engines turn generators or alternators to generate power, and that is routed to electric motors which are directly connected to the device that propels the machine.  So, in the case of Diesel-electric locomotives, electric motors are connected to the locomotives wheels, usually with some reduction gearing and mounted on each driving truck of the loco.  The same concept applies in a marine environment.  Diesels are attached to generators which supply power for propulsion and running the hotel.

6 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

This is not quite correct.  Most ships today are diesel powered, and most do not have any gearing between the diesel engine and the propeller.  You vary the speed of the propeller by varying the speed of the diesel engine.  This is called "direct coupled" propulsion, and the large, slow speed diesel engines used run between 50-125 rpm.  These ships have separate generator engines to provide electrical power to the ship.  This method, however, means that you've got a large, costly lump of steel that can do nothing but power the propeller, and if you have two propellers, you've got two large lumps sitting idle in port.  By using multiple, smaller diesel generators, you can use any of the engines to power whatever you want, whether it is propulsion, thrusters, AC, or hotel load.

And, while Wartsila is a Finnish company, a large percentage of their engines are built around the world under license.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jeromep said:

Diesel-electric locomotives operate in effectively the same manner as a modern cruise ship.  Internal combustion engines turn generators or alternators to generate power, and that is routed to electric motors which are directly connected to the device that propels the machine.  So, in the case of Diesel-electric locomotives, electric motors are connected to the locomotives wheels, usually with some reduction gearing and mounted on each driving truck of the loco.  The same concept applies in a marine environment.  Diesels are attached to generators which supply power for propulsion and running the hotel.

And, contrary to the previous poster that you answered, each locomotive has a diesel engine connected to an AC generator, and the power rectifier to change to power to DC, which is used by the electric motors at the wheels.  Each locomotive is a self-contained unit with engine, generator, and motors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, contrary to the previous poster that you answered, each locomotive has a diesel engine connected to an AC generator, and the power rectifier to change to power to DC, which is used by the electric motors at the wheels.  Each locomotive is a self-contained unit with engine, generator, and motors.

As always, you are correct.  Keep in mind that there is great variety in locomotive configuration based on the line that is running the equipment and the manufacturer.  EMD has made numerous very similar, but also very different loco sets to satisfy the requirements of the operator (no different than the shipping industry), especially in the SD70 series.  Similar variety is available at GE.  Based upon my reading, it seems like most of the freight railroads in the U.S. are moving toward or have moved toward AC traction rather than have an AC/DC system with the extra rectification equipment.

I admittedly have no clue how Princess specs out their engine rooms.  I was under the impression that they had a number of marine diesels that were connected to power generation equipment.  Beyond that I'm in the dark.  I'm not aware if they have dedicated generation systems just to run the hotel or if all the generated electrical power is pooled and then managed between hotel and propulsion.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

can whatever repairs are needed, plus whatever else has to be done , in a wetdock ?