Ripped jeans at dinner?

English101

A large percentage of cars on the highway are exceeding the posted speed limit. The police tend to only write tickets to cars travelling 10 or 15 mph above the posted limit. Applying your logic means the actual speed limit is always 10 or 15 mph above what's posted.

I know that this is a bit off-topic (what else is new on CC ;)) but the speeding example doesn't really apply here. A state trooper (for ex.) can't just raise the speed limit. A maitre D may or may not have the ability to allow clothing that would otherwise not be allowed.

A trooper on the side of the road might not pursue you if you drive past him at 15mph over the limit but if the camera that's a 1/2 mile ahead catches you and you are mailed a ticket, the excuse of "...the trooper allowed it..." will not work.

If a person wears ripped jeans in Le Bistro and a fellow guest complains, the jean wearer can say "...the maitre D allowed it..." and that would be the end of it....unless the offended guest complains to corporate and the maitre D is told to not make exceptions in the future.

The same is true for a concierge who allows a non-Haven guest to use the Haven pool (that topic usually fires up the crowd :evilsmile:).

This might come off a bit wrong for some and I don't intent to be rude but I really don't get all the fuzz about how other people decide to wear at dinner. I do my people watching at the atrium or at the bars but at dinner I'm usually concentrated on either the food or on conversation with my DW. Someone could come in a thong to the dinning room and other than maybe laugh at it for a moment I wouldn't care. It's not gonna make my food taste any better or worse. But everyone's got their preference. That's just mine.

This. I’ve been reading the incessant beating the dead horse unwilling to agree to disagree posts here while thinking “gee, I never notice these things because I’m only concerned with DH and my food.”

This. I’ve been reading the incessant beating the dead horse unwilling to agree to disagree posts here while thinking “gee, I never notice these things because I’m only concerned with DH and my food.”

I am with you, but you know what, I am going to be looking for ripped jeans when we go out to eat on the Getaway week after next. Just out of curiosity. :)

She sounds very young. The last thing would be for to feel embarrassed and out of place. Why not save the torn stuff for the beach and dress her up a little for dinner?

How so? Sounds mature enough to ask. And distressed designer jeans are not beach wear. Jeans in general, designer or otherwise, aren't beach wear. You may think they aren't MDR wear, but they are more appropriate for dinner than the beach, imo.

I think this is a good teachable moment for your daughter about what is trendy vs. what is appropriate when going out to eat. Pants slung low below the butt are very trendy right now, but certainly not appropriate in a nice restaurant. Same with ripped jeans.

Actually, the trend is for pants to be "high waisted" rather than at the hip or below. It's very difficult to find low waisted pants right now. Ripped jeans continue to be fashionable, and are worn at many upscale restaurants, at least where I live.

So, read this thread, and a lot of the older thread that is currently active on the same topic. Not sure if part of the disagreement is regional, or not. I do know, that where I live (Los Angels) women of all ages wear ripped jeans to a variety of venues. Many wear them well -- paired with great shoes, tops and jewelry. Many don't -- ill fitting, overly torn, or poorly paired as an overall outfit.

Personally, I love dressing up on a cruise in a great cocktail dress most nights -- but don't really think it's anyone else's business what I wear, as long as I'm not over exposed. I've seen women in skin tight, skimpy dresses that are a lot more inappropriate than my ripped jeans. when it comes down to it, my meal, and enjoyment of my evening, is not predicated on what others wear.

So, read this thread, and a lot of the older thread that is currently active on the same topic. Not sure if part of the disagreement is regional, or not. I do know, that where I live (Los Angels) women of all ages wear ripped jeans to a variety of venues. Many wear them well -- paired with great shoes, tops and jewelry. Many don't -- ill fitting, overly torn, or poorly paired as an overall outfit.

Personally, I love dressing up on a cruise in a great cocktail dress most nights -- but don't really think it's anyone else's business what I wear, as long as I'm not over exposed. I've seen women in skin tight, skimpy dresses that are a lot more inappropriate than my ripped jeans. when it comes down to it, my meal, and enjoyment of my evening, is not predicated on what others wear.

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How so? Sounds mature enough to ask. And distressed designer jeans are not beach wear. Jeans in general, designer or otherwise, aren't beach wear. You may think they aren't MDR wear, but they are more appropriate for dinner than the beach, imo.

Simply because her mom volunteered to go to guest services to ask special permission for her to wear them. Hope the girl can handle a "no" should that happen. We see all kinds of clothing on the beach around here, torn stuff included. It would be unfortunate if she felt embarrassed or out of place at dinner. At the very least it could well be a good learning experience for her. It makes little difference to most of us how she looks eating dinner, however this could ruin her whole cruise if she cannot have her own way and that would be sad. In a few years she will laugh at these memories, like we all do looking back on our youth. Worse are the folks who find a need to wear a ball cap on every occasion, or refuse to sanitize their hands.

Simply because her mom volunteered to go to guest services to ask special permission for her to wear them. Hope the girl can handle a "no" should that happen. We see all kinds of clothing on the beach around here, torn stuff included. It would be unfortunate if she felt embarrassed or out of place at dinner. At the very least it could well be a good learning experience for her. It makes little difference to most of us how she looks eating dinner, however this could ruin her whole cruise if she cannot have her own way and that would be sad. In a few years she will laugh at these memories, like we all do looking back on our youth. Worse are the folks who find a need to wear a ball cap on every occasion, or refuse to sanitize their hands.

So, because she had the right attitude to ask her mom what was allowed, you assume she is spoiled and can't handle an answer she doesn't like? Unlikely. Those that expect their way, don't tend to ask, they just do what they want. Not all teen girls are obnoxious.

"Torn Stuff" is kind of vague. Torn shorts are suitable for the beach; however full length designer jeans would be very uncomfortable there. The conversation here was about long pants, but I'm really not sure if that's what you're talking about.

I absolutely agree with this, but the point isn't whether or not some people look good in torn jeans. The point is the cruise line has asked that we not wear them to dinner. To me, it's about respect for the cruise line and what they have asked of us.

Actually, the trend is for pants to be "high waisted" rather than at the hip or below. It's very difficult to find low waisted pants right now. Ripped jeans continue to be fashionable, and are worn at many upscale restaurants, at least where I live.

I haven't seen one man in "high waisted" jeans. Not one. But I have seen many, last cruise included, of young men with their jeans belted around their thighs below their butts. You don't have to find low waisted pants; just buy them bigger. Ripped jeans may be fashionable in some circles, but NCL has asked they not be worn. That's really what this thread was supposed to be about. It's not about making a fashion statement, it's about what the policy states.

no the new fashion hoodies, like the GS warriors wear, this thread is about how modern fashion MUST be accepted. I sometimes travel on Holland the people ask me literally, what are you doing here? "Shouldn't you be climbing mount Kilimanjaro" . A senior citizen hAL cruiser on a hal l cruise was told me this joke, quote, "the average age of a Hal cruiser is dead" So basically HAL cruisers don't want young fashion in their dining rooms, is the reason Hal is mentioned

Generalize much?

is this a joke? If she does "handle" it should we give her a trophy?

I know that this is a bit off-topic (what else is new on CC ;)) but the speeding example doesn't really apply here. A state trooper (for ex.) can't just raise the speed limit. A maitre D may or may not have the ability to allow clothing that would otherwise not be allowed.

A trooper on the side of the road might not pursue you if you drive past him at 15mph over the limit but if the camera that's a 1/2 mile ahead catches you and you are mailed a ticket, the excuse of "...the trooper allowed it..." will not work.

If a person wears ripped jeans in Le Bistro and a fellow guest complains, the jean wearer can say "...the maitre D allowed it..." and that would be the end of it....unless the offended guest complains to corporate and the maitre D is told to not make exceptions in the future.

Good argument, thank you for your coherency. I think a closer analogy would be if the maitre D in Le Bistro allowed it on one night, and the maitre D in Cagneys disallowed it the next, you couldn't say "but they allowed it last night in Le Bistro".

Either way it's proving, my point: The rule is as written and not what it's the mind of the person at the door. The person at the door may choose to ignore the rule, but that doesn't change the rule. If the rule said "...or with approval of the host", that would be different, but that is not what the rule says.

Good argument, thank you for your coherency. I think a closer analogy would be if the maitre D in Le Bistro allowed it on one night, and the maitre D in Cagneys disallowed it the next, you couldn't say "but they allowed it last night in Le Bistro".

Either way it's proving, my point: The rule is as written and not what it's the mind of the person at the door. The person at the door may choose to ignore the rule, but that doesn't change the rule. If the rule said "...or with approval of the host", that would be different, but that is not what the rule says.

the rule is written that they are allowed as long as not worn below the hips

Not sure what this even means; I'm talking about generalizing HAL cruisers.

First it is called statistics, second as I clearly stated it is my personal experience, a senior citizen HAL cruiser on a cruise told me that joke, as well as others cruisers literally asking us why we were there.

The rule is what the ship determines it to be, not what you cling to.

Go hunt down some more gum chewers. Better yet, inform the coast guard of these law-breakers.

First it is called statistics, second as I clearly stated it is my personal experience, a senior citizen HAL cruiser on a cruise told me that joke, as well as others cruisers literally asking us why we were there.

Statistics? Please do show me the statistics. What you said was, "So basically HAL cruisers don't want young fashion in their dining rooms". This is a gross generalization, and has nothing to do with statistics.

The rule is what the ship determines it to be, not what you cling to.

Go hunt down some more gum chewers. Better yet, inform the coast guard of these law-breakers.

Yea, no. The rule is what the cruise line says it is, not some hostess who is afraid of pissing off a customer. Those decisions are way above her pay grade.

Yea, no. The rule is what the cruise line says it is, not some hostess who is afraid of pissing off a customer. Those decisions are way above her pay grade.

Please show us all your knowledge of "pay grades"is actually true. There must be something in writing that you can cite for us.

The rule is what the cruise line says it is. That they put a dumbed-down version online does not restrict them from having a rule that is actually applied that is different.

Your nonsensical claim about "pay grades" is not only judgmental, but would result in virtually every host or hostess being disciplined after every dinner. Funny how that doesn't work out that way. Not funny to you of course, it likely creates tremendous aggravation. Which is funny to the rest of us.

Why don't you confront the host on a night where you have determined that one of these "sacred rules" has been violated and tell him or her that they can't allow it because the decision is "below their pay grade"? Maybe you'll get an insincere apology and a plastic key ring for the gross imposition.

Please show us all your knowledge of "pay grades"is actually true. There must be something in writing that you can cite for us.

LOL. Unbelievably funny.

The guy who is claiming the written rule is outdated and there is some other "official dress code (your words slowsky: "The hosts know the official dress code.") is now asking someone else to show us something in writing. Hey Bill - can you show us, in writing, that there is some other "official dress code"? Or I'd settle for something in writing that says the online dress code is not current and the new dress code is whatever the hostess thinks it is. Yea, I didn't think you could. smh

LOL. Unbelievably funny.

The guy who is claiming the written rule is outdated and there is some other "official dress code (your words slowsky: "The hosts know the official dress code.") is now asking someone else to show us something in writing. Hey Bill - can you show us, in writing, that there is some other "official dress code"? Or I'd settle for something in writing that says the online dress code is not current and the new dress code is whatever the hostess thinks it is. Yea, I didn't think you could. smh

Your approach seems to be to just throw any ridiculous claim up against the wall and see if any of them sticks. So far, you've batted 0.000.

Obviously context is a foreign concept to you. When I posted for something in writing, it was back to the dumb post demanding statistics. But you take it out of context. Parsing is not a particularly well-thought approach.

I KNOW about the rules on the ship because I ASKED. Did you?

And by the way, the section on jeans with tears reads "visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted". Therefore, even when relying in this over-simplified paragraph on the website, the girl's ripped jeans ARE permitted unless they are also overly faded.

That's using the over-simplified version. This certainly does NOT say that jeans with rips are not permitted under any circumstances. Nor will it lead to future criminal behavior - one of the absolutely dumbest things I have ever read here.

So back to the OP, when one of these intolerant people gives your daughter a dirty look for wearing her ripped jeans in the dining room, remind them that's it's allowed according to the website.

The same paragraph would allow wearing a shirt with profanity written on it. So when someone is refused entry for doing so, make sure to intervene on their behalf. "It's on the website."

LOL