New Wine List Rolling out on the Golden

IECalCruiser

Looks much better. I wish the French champagne would be better. Not a fan of clicquot. The other one is ok. No more Shramsburg ,which is too bad. Chandon price up 5. At $40 way over priced. Often see around $15 at Safeway.

The problem with ordering really high end wines is that the food doesn’t stand up to it. If you are going to increase the quality of the Wines, There has to be some attempt to upgrade the food. If I can get a Filet Mignon from the steak house at an up charge, I would be more likely to splurge on the wine. I really hate it when the wine is better than the food, which is often the case when I bring wine to a restaurant.

Living in California, I would appreciate some reviews and suggestions for Australian wines. My few experiences were not good. The Shiraz I have had were not good.

I've been thinking about this, and here is my rationale. My wife and I enjoy dining. It is, pretty much, the highlight of our day--both on a cruise and at home. I feel that a superior wine elevates the dining experience. Clearly, Princess meals are not Michelin star quality. Then, again, neither is our home cooking. If I can upgrade my dining enjoyment with a superior wine, I'm a happy camper. Tonight, for dinner, we are making sandwiches with some left-over tri-tip. However, I am, very much, looking forward to an interesting looking Syrah. And, yes, I am a California wine bigot.

This is, of course, just my opinion, and we all know that opinions are like belly buttons--everybody has one. :D

We had Chateau Lafite Rothschild on our Disney Cruise for our Annversary...and we shared with the Som

Wow, how did that work? Did the Som have a taste from that little spoon thingie, or did he/she have a glass? If a glass, did he/she ante up for his/her share? You must be a good person, as I would not have shared a drop of Chateau Lafite... Inquiring minds want to know

My two favorite reds are gone from the new list. They were: Siverado Cabernet and Overture. I am not familiar with many of the new reds.

I know it was mentioned that Vines still has Silverado Cabernet, but I am afraid it will be gone by next March, our Hawaii cruise from LA.

So, what Cabernet or Bordeaux blend style wines would be good at Crown Grill? With lamb chops and Kansas City steak? Chocolate dessert? $60-$150 price range?

I look forward to your recommendations.

Take the Jordan Cab, at $79. I see they are big on d'Aussieres - I'm not familiar with their Cab but I have had their blend, from the Languedoc which was good.

The sleeper may be the Los Vascos which sometimes surprises favorably. The Mondavi may be good as well. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

My two favorite reds are gone from the new list. They were: Siverado Cabernet and Overture. I am not familiar with many of the new reds.

I know it was mentioned that Vines still has Silverado Cabernet' date=' but I am afraid it will be gone by next March, our Hawaii cruise from LA.

So, what Cabernet or Bordeaux blend style wines would be good at Crown Grill? With lamb chops and Kansas City steak? Chocolate dessert? $60-$150 price range?

I look forward to your recommendations.[/quote']On the Golden, the old wine list inventory will be offered in Vines until it is sold out. They are already running out of stock on a number of wines on the list. Staff at Vines did not know what new wines will be offered by the glass and won’t find out until Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Beer on the DR Wine List

Heineken, Corona, Stella Artois, Grolsch, Guinness, Budweiser, Colors Light, Blue Moon, Miller Genuine Draft, Goose Island Sofie, Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple

First, I want to say thank you for taking the time to provide all of this valuable information. :) It is very appreciated and I am grateful you have taken the time to share.

Now to express my disappointment in Princess...I am shocked!! Is this considered the new beer offerings? WOW. Not impressed with the wine or beer list. I am hoping that other ships will have more options, at least for beer. Looks like I will be bringing my own wine, unless the new Vines wines are something I really like. I wish they would let you bring your own beer at a price, of course because offerings such as these make me want to bring my own stuff. DH is going to be very disappointed on our sea days on the next cruise. He won't drink any of those beers. :(

The Dom isn't too far from a pretty fair deal, but don't forget that you must add 15% to the printed price for the Princess "gratuity". Having said that, d'Arenberg The Footbolt shiraz (named for a race horse, as I recall) is a steal at $11, unless I misread that. s

On the Golden, the old wine list inventory will be offered in Vines until it is sold out. They are already running out of stock on a number of wines on the list. Staff at Vines did not know what new wines will be offered by the glass and won’t find out until Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting that they're not selling anything off the new menu until the old menu is out, or at least drawn down to some mystical minimum level.

The Dom isn't too far from a pretty fair deal, but don't forget that you must add 15% to the printed price for the Princess "gratuity". Having said that, d'Arenberg The Footbolt shiraz (named for a race horse, as I recall) is a steal at $11, unless I misread that. s

On the other side of the ledger, however, since I live in California, any wine that I purchase--in a retail store or on-line--is subject to state sales tax--8.75% to 9.5% depending on the county. That also affects the delta.

I'm not complaining. I love living in California.

I'm also very OK with the Princess wine offerings. However, I will continue to bring a stash of my own on future cruises, and pick and choose from the Princess list.

1800cc Honda Civic, ;)

oops, i messed up....the $11 I quoted for The Footbolt was for glass....so sorry. no longer the steal I'd thought. i really should read more carefully. however, having said that we ALWAYS bring our own wines, tho' the list has improved. I think a bottle of Footbolt is about $20 retail. s

Take the Jordan Cab, at $79. I see they are big on d'Aussieres - I'm not familiar with their Cab but I have had their blend, from the Languedoc which was good.

The sleeper may be the Los Vascos which sometimes surprises favorably. The Mondavi may be good as well. Cheers!

Thanks for your thoughts. The Jordan Cabernet had caught my eye, as had Los Vascos. I appreciate your good thoughts. I will try them both on future cruises.

So' date=' what Cabernet or Bordeaux blend style wines would be good at Crown Grill? With lamb chops and Kansas City steak? Chocolate dessert? $60-$150 price range?

I look forward to your recommendations.[/quote']

If this follow the trend that I see on most wine boards, eventually, every wine on the list will be recommended by somebody. So, here I go.

Give serious thought to the Chappellet Merlot. I have a lot of respect for winemaker Phillip Titus. Even though Chappellet is a high-volume producer, all their wines--both red and white--are, at the very least, solid. At $58/bottle, the Merlot doesn't even reach the floor of your range.

At just over the ceiling of your range, Ch. Talbot ($160) is attractive.

If this follow the trend that I see on most wine boards, eventually, every wine on the list will be recommended by somebody. So, here I go.

Give serious thought to the Chappellet Merlot. I have a lot of respect for winemaker Phillip Titus. Even though Chappellet is a high-volume producer, all their wines--both red and white--are, at the very least, solid. At $58/bottle, the Merlot doesn't even reach the floor of your range.

OMG if I was going to spend that much on wine I would be cruising on Crystal not Princess!

Unless Princess put the corkage up we will definitely be taking our favorite wines on board for the 49 days on Royal around South America. Number 1 we will get what we know we like to drink and Number 2 it will save money.

If they do put up the corkage we will just go on the wagon, done that before and probably were all the better for it.

OMG if I was going to spend that much on wine I would be cruising on Crystal not Princess!

Unless Princess put the corkage up we will definitely be taking our favorite wines on board for the 49 days on Royal around South America. Number 1 we will get what we know we like to drink and Number 2 it will save money.

If they do put up the corkage we will just go on the wagon, done that before and probably were all the better for it.

emoticon-laughing-video-id641029758?s=640x640

omg I had a thought of BYOB or Boycott...lol

omg I had a thought of BYOB or Boycott...lol

It is what it is, I think many of us have boycotted the Tours and the Photos on grounds of excessive cost. Just one more thing to add to the list.

I'm good with the new list overall. Certainly one may bring on whatever wines they wish and I will do the same with our 2 bottles per couple allowance.

The one thing I would like to see however is the wine service improve. I don't want to have ask for an appropriate glass, I want the servers to be familiar with opening and pouring wine, and mostly, I would like a wine steward to take charge of the wine service. Do that, and the prices will not be an issue.

What I have posted is only the DR wine and drink list. The bars won’t have their new drink menus until Sydney so there will probably be more additions. Talking to one of the bartenders, he said that they will be getting Australian beers when they get to Sydney.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm good with the new list overall. Certainly one may bring on whatever wines they wish and I will do the same with our 2 bottles per couple allowance.

The one thing I would like to see however is the wine service improve. I don't want to have ask for an appropriate glass, I want the servers to be familiar with opening and pouring wine, and mostly, I would like a wine steward to take charge of the wine service. Do that, and the prices will not be an issue.

No Wine Stewards on Princess [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, I will definitely remember Chappellet Merlot and Chateau Talbot.

Somewhere in my past I remember enjoying Chappellet wines, so I know that your recommendation rings true. I appreciate it.

Because of our long flights and the necessity of packing lite, I can't bring my own wine. That is a good alternative for those who can do it.

I am only buying the spendie wines on special occasions, such as Crown Grill. I am using the "on the wagon" approach, on other nights, and now, due to complicated concerns, we aren't having wine at home, anymore. So the splurge at Crown Grill is not a regular occurrence.

having cruised on the Grand Princess many many times, the last four times we had a delightful surprise. I took hubby on a "retirement cruise" on the Grand a few years back. Daily around 4:30 PM we love to go to the Vines for a glass of wine. We purchase a bottle and whatever we don't drink they hold for another night. The gentleman working the Vines was Christopher. He was pleasant and besides, we searched for certain wine glass that he thought we would appreciate. And yes we did appreciate it greatly.

Add another two or three trips over the years on the Grand and we go the first night to the Vines and Christopher turns around and calls us by name. He also asked if we brought our own really nice wine onboard, etc. I couldn't believe that with all the passengers he works with that he remembered us, but he did.

We live near Napa and wine in Napa has gotten exceedingly expensive (as has tasting fees). So the Princess prices don't shock us. But for the money I would expect an exceptional tasting wine.:):):)