New Wine List Rolling out on the Golden

IECalCruiser

No Tawny Ports? Guess I'll bring 2

Edited; apparently missed a port, just not familiar with this one:

:)

I have been told that you can't bring on Port! Is that true? I was really counting on picking up a bottle while in the Azores to drink on the TA leg of our cruise.

Can we carry some on and have them hold it till the end?

Edited by suzyed

With the increased prices on the new Wine List, the Silver Package seems outdated and both packages should be modified, perhaps with the Silver Package increased to $35 and the Gold Package increased to $55 or something similar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That would be great! We usually get the Gold Package.

Thanks for all the info....we sail on the Crown in a little over 2 weeks.

I've been thinking about this, and here is my rationale. My wife and I enjoy dining. It is, pretty much, the highlight of our day--both on a cruise and at home. I feel that a superior wine elevates the dining experience. Clearly, Princess meals are not Michelin star quality. Then, again, neither is our home cooking. If I can upgrade my dining enjoyment with a superior wine, I'm a happy camper. Tonight, for dinner, we are making sandwiches with some left-over tri-tip. However, I am, very much, looking forward to an interesting looking Syrah. And, yes, I am a California wine bigot.

This is, of course, just my opinion, and we all know that opinions are like belly buttons--everybody has one. :D

I agree with you. I would rather elevate my dining experience with a nice wine than drink a lesser wine to match the quality of the dinner and thus creating a totally mediocre dining experience.

Edited by suzyed

XBGuy...I’ve been told several times that crew receive extra benefits such as extra time off including in port by selling the wine package. That’s why I always purchase it from my dining room waitstaff who will provide my wine.

During a galley tour, I saw the “sales” chart for wait-staff posted on the wall (looked like a car dealership’s back room). Wine and wine packages along with cocktails, specialty coffees, etc were on the chart. Don’t know what the pay-off is but it is definitely something that is measured and ranked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been told that you can't bring on Port! Is that true? I was really counting on picking up a bottle while in the Azores to drink on the TA leg of our cruise.

I’ve read the same thing but how it’s enforced can vary. We purchased a bottle of port in Madeira for our son & had no problem carrying it onboard to bring home. It wasn’t intended to be consumed onboard so don’t know about drinking it onboard.

Edited by Astro Flyer

During a galley tour, I saw the “sales” chart for wait-staff posted on the wall (looked like a car dealership’s back room). Wine and wine packages along with cocktails, specialty coffees, etc were on the chart. Don’t know what the pay-off is but it is definitely something that is measured and ranked!

Thanks for the information which is further evidence that such sales are tracked & as I’ve been told several times it results in crewmembers receiving additional benefits.

Any way to know when this is being rolled out to other ships? We recently sailed on the Regal and really enjoyed the Gold package. Sailing on the Caribbean the end of November for 14 days and we were counting on using the Gold package again rather than bringing our own onboard. There are some nice selections on the new list and can certainly make it work, but it would be a long 14 days if they were in transition, the packages weren't available and we hadn't stopped at Total Wine.

Any way to know when this is being rolled out to other ships? We recently sailed on the Regal and really enjoyed the Gold package. Sailing on the Caribbean the end of November for 14 days and we were counting on using the Gold package again rather than bringing our own onboard. There are some nice selections on the new list and can certainly make it work, but it would be a long 14 days if they were in transition, the packages weren't available and we hadn't stopped at Total Wine.

No way I’ve been able to locate beyond Princess stating it’ll be implemented fleetwide this Fall.

With reports from some ships that as a result of limited inventory the wine packages were not available you may not be able to depend upon having them.

No way I’ve been able to locate beyond Princess stating it’ll be implemented fleetwide this Fall.

With reports from some ships that as a result of limited inventory the wine packages were not available you may not be able to depend upon having them.

The Bartender at Vines said the new Wine list was being rolled out fleet wide but didn’t have any timing. I will try to get some more time info over the next two weeks. We attended both the Maitre ‘d and Grapevine wine tasting. Most of the wines were from the old wine list although the Grapevine tasting included the Conundrum from the new wine list. Interestingly, the Maitre ‘d tasting had two Australian wines that were not on either list.

• Like 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well this explains why staff run over one another when I enter the dinning room or bar.

First, I want to say thank you for taking the time to provide all of this valuable information. :) It is very appreciated and I am grateful you have taken the time to share.

Now to express my disappointment in Princess...I am shocked!! Is this considered the new beer offerings? WOW. Not impressed with the wine or beer list. I am hoping that other ships will have more options, at least for beer. Looks like I will be bringing my own wine, unless the new Vines wines are something I really like. I wish they would let you bring your own beer at a price, of course because offerings such as these make me want to bring my own stuff. DH is going to be very disappointed on our sea days on the next cruise. He won't drink any of those beers. :(

Have to agree about the beer. I suppose the Princess buyers have never gone into a bar in recent years where IPAs are a big rage. That is probably the worst beer list we have seen on the 7 seas. As to the wine list, the really high end stuff is put on the list to impress some..but it is seldom sold. The low to medium price offerings are not impressive and it appears that they have simply increased prices on many of the medium priced items that actually do sell.

Hank

The Bartender at Vines said the new Wine list was being rolled out fleet wide but didn’t have any timing. I will try to get some more time info over the next two weeks. We attended both the Maitre ‘d and Grapevine wine tasting. Most of the wines were from the old wine list although the Grapevine tasting included the Conundrum from the new wine list. Interestingly, the Maitre ‘d tasting had two Australian wines that were not on either list.

Appreciate any additional information.

Appreciate any additional information.

We had Conundrum white wine on our Regal Transatlantic last month.

I liked it enough to order a case at home. And I ordered the Method Champenoise Sparkling Conundrum which is totally different and very like a very decent French Champagne.

I also ordered a couple of Rose Conundrum but found it very ordinary and bland.

The red Conundrum we have here but have not yet opened.

Got it mail order from craftcurd.com. reasonable price and less than Total Wine.

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, suzyed said:

On 10/6/2018 at 9:45 PM, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve read the same thing but how it’s enforced can vary. We purchased a bottle of port in Madeira for our son & had no problem carrying it onboard to bring home. It wasn’t intended to be consumed onboard so don’t know about drinking it onboard.

The restriction on Port wine is during initial embarkation. That's pretty much the only place Princess really seems to check much. Bringing on wine from port stops seems to be very laxly monitored. In the Caribbean we purchased Rum and, when we boarded some folks had bags from the distillery. The crew at the security scan were telling people, "If you have alcohol please check it at the table". There was the usual table with a couple of bored crew members. Those with the obvious distillery bags checked their rum. Others ("possibly" even me :classic_rolleyes:) had their rum in other bags such as a small backpack. It went through the scanner and I'm sure they could see the bottle. I picked up the bag and walked right past the table to my cabin. We had the beverage package and ha no intention of drinking the rum onboard but didn't want to hassle with checking it and retrieving it later. I know others just walked past the table as well and the crew didn't bat an eye. We were given wine on a winery tour and when we boarded everybody in the group had a bottle. Nothing was said at all when we boarded. I really don't think they care about purchases (within reason) made at port stops.

I think that Karma (or the Secret Princess Passage Contract Enforcer) got me on this cruise.  I had mixed one bottle of port with 21 bottles of wine.  The alcohol table didn't check the bottles and after paying the $255 in corkage for 17 bottles (DW and I booked the cruise as a B2B and DD booked the cruise as one cruise so we were allowed 5 bottles with no corkage), we went to our cabin.  The port and 4 bottles of wine were in a cloth wine carrier.  As DW and I were trying to keep the door open while getting our carry on bags into the cabin, the bottles fell out of the carrier.  Fortunately only one bottle broke, but it was the bottle of port :classic_sad:  The entire bottle of port spilled on the carpet, but fast action by our steward and other Princess staff were able to clean up the wine so that there was no evidence of the crime.

I had a chance to see a copy of the new Vines wine list being rolled out in Sydney. The prices are in AUD but I have included prices in USD ($) if they are offered by the glass on the MDR wine list or on the old Vines wine list.

It looks like the wines on the old Vines wine list are priced to sell and will be replaced by new wines when inventory is sold out. The two white wines not on either wine list are Australian and have probably been added for the Aussie market. The Verdelho is an interesting wine. In Portugal it is primarily used in Madeira but in Australia it is used to produce a white wine. We had an opportunity to try Verdelho on our Hunter Valley wine tasting tour. A nice, drinkable wine but I preferred the Semillon.

Champagne & Sparkling

• Mionetto Prosecco Brut Gold - AUD 13 / $10
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut - AUD 15
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut - AUD 20

White Wines

• Verdelho, Briar Ridge - AUD 9 - not on either wine list
  • S.A. Prum Essence Riesling Kabinett - AUD 14 / $11
  • “Anthilia White Blend, Donnafugata - AUD 9 / $8 - on old Vines wine list
  • Laurenz V. Singing Gruner Veltliner - AUD 13 / $10
  • Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc - AUD 12 / $9
  • Chablis, Seigneurie de Tanlay - AUD 9 / $8 - on old Vines wine list
  • Conundrum White - AUD 15 /$11
  • Shaw and Smith Chardonnay - AUD 15 - not on either wine list
  • Attems Pinot Grigio - AUD 15 / $11

Rose Wines

• Charles & Charles Rose - AUD 12 / $8

Red Wines

• Babich Black Label Pinot Noir - AUD 15
  • Frescobaldi Chianti Rufina Nipozzano - AUD 15 / $11
  • d’Arenberg The Footbolt Shiraz - AUD 14 / $11
  • Errazuriz Estate Carmenere - AUD 12 / $9
  • Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon - AUD 16 / $12
  • ‘Embruix’ Vall Llach - AUD 11 / $10 - on old Vines wine list
  • Ancient Peaks the Renegade - AUD 15 - not on either wine list
  • Petite Sirah, Spellbound - AUD 9 / $8 - on old Vines wine list
  • Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Domaine du Vieux Lazaret - AUD 10 / $8 - on old Vines wine list
  • Garnacha, Artazuri - AUD 9 / $8- on old Vines wine list
Edited by IECalCruiser
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 3:47 PM, IECalCruiser said:

They are rolling out the new wine list on the Golden this cruise. Currently only the DR’s have the new list with the bars and Vines having the old list. I will continue to post more information but here is a start:

Wines by the glass on the DR Wine List

Mionetto Prosecco Brut Gold, NV - $10

Attend Pinot Grigio, 2017 - $11

Martin codex Albariño, 2016 - $10

S.A. Prum Essence Riesling, 2015 - $11

Lauren’s V. Singing Gruner Veltliner, 2016 - $10

Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc, 2017 - $9

Pascal Jolivet Pouilly-Fume, 2017 - $12

Conundrum White, 2015 - $11

Domaine d’Aussieres Chardonnay, 2017 - $9

La Chablisienne La Pierrelee Chablis - $11

Decoy Chardonnay, 2016 - $10

Hartford Court Chardonnay, 2017 - $14

Charles & Charles Rose, 2017 - $8

Albert Bichot Santenay, 2016 - $13

Meiomi Pinot Noir, 2016 - $11

Frescobaldi Chianti Rufina Riserva Nipozzano, 2015 - $11

d’Arenberg The Footbolt Shiraz, 2015 - $11

Errazuriz Estate Carmenere, 2015 - $9

Decoy Merlot, 2015 - $12

Domaine d’Aussieres Cabernet Sauvignon, 2016 - $9

Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon, 2015 - $12

Errazuriz Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc, 2016 (3oz) - $8

Quinta do No al Late Bottled Vintage Port, 2012 (3oz) - $10

Just for thrak (but no prices yet)

Scotch, Whisky & Bourbon on the DR Wine List

Johnnie Walker Blue, Johnnie Walker Black, Chivas Regal 12 Year, Knob Creek, Jameson Irish, Crown Royal, Dalwinnie 15 Year

Beer on the DR Wine List

Heineken, Corona, Stella Artois, Grolsch, Guinness, Budweiser, Colors Light, Blue Moon, Miller Genuine Draft, Goose Island Sofie, Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple

Thanks!  Was looking for this!!

We are currently on the Crown and have been able to bring on wines in each port. They just check to make sure it is wine or champagne and send us on our way, however yesterday at our stop at Livorno, the man at the table read every label on every bottle.

As far as the wine list, oy vey! They are out of all of the Cabs on our gold wine package. So we had to be satisfied with Caymus each night (😉)or the Oberon Merlot.

So, has anyone seen this new wine list on ships other than the Golden?  I read on another thread that the Star still has the old one.  How about the Emerald?

IECalCruiser: Thanks again for posting the wine information.  I am still enjoying reading over the wine list.