Champagne

pdaniel

11 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Well, the world is ok again. Asked for the Monopole at the bar, and was happily accommodated - with no charge. It just took them a couple of minutes to get a bottle from storage somewhere. The Monopole will do very nicely. So the trick is to ask for Monopole specifically rather than just champagne.

Monopole will be better than Jacquart or Germaine but still not a suitable substitute for Montaudon IMO,  YMMV

20 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

We were on the Nav 8/1-8/21 and I don't remember Monopole.  Just that Jacquart and Germain stuff.  Very disappointing.

Right. I was on the NAV North Cape/ Murmansk run with you. You had to ask or they would pour the St. Germain.

I am back again. Just wanted to set the record straight that I was premature and we had an over- eager server. We have now been advised that the Monopole is only available in the suites and that the St. Germain is the only available champagne (if you can call at that) in the bars.

• Thanks 1

Uh oh!   I sense an insurrection coming on.....man the barricades (in this case the heavy chairs in the observation lounge).....start humming the Marseillaise .....wave the blu, blanc, rouge.....that should get the attention of the Jason’s (Montegue and O’Keefe). 

On 10/18/2018 at 6:09 PM, BBWC said:

On the Explorer right now. They have the St. Germain, which is not to our liking at all. May have to change to Prosecco.

They are now charging $60 for a bottle of Montaudon, or $15 per glass.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:46 PM, JMARINER said:

I was just on  the NAV  in August and Montaudon was still free. My DW think that both Jacquart or St. Germain are good for washing sock in.

Not only does this suck;  Montaudon at $60 a bottle is a rip-off. I can but the exact same in Paris for 20 and in the US for about $30. I know that in bulk Regent's  price is far cheaper.

Surely Jason M will chime in and say this is all a mistake......................................

J

Is there some confusion?

On FB, Regent have confirmed charges for Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial (from the Connoisseur list) at $15 per glass and $65 per bottle ...... not Montaudon.

I think it is entirely possible that when we asked about the Montaudon that the server thought we were talking about the Moet & Chandon. That would explain the charge,

However, I am somewhat in disbelief at the notion that they introduced St. Germain because the guests prefer it.

On our recent Explorer cruise, we requested Montaudon.  We were told it was not available.  The only included champagnes were Jacquart and Germain Brut, pictured in the Vivino screenshot above.

By the way, on our Celebrity cruise last month, Montaudon was included in Michaels Club and in our suite.

Edited by pdaniel

Hambagahle,

you posted:  

There are two "Germain" champagnes -

Champagne Paul-Etienne Saint Germain from Epernay

and

Champagne Germain Pidansat from Avirey-Langey

Which one? Both are appélation contrôlée so both "real" champagnes but Eperney is the very centre of the Champagne area - Avirey-Langey is way south, in fact south of Troyes. Probably "limite" for the appellation.

As you can see from the picture above, the champagne being served is neither.  Can you give us your opinion on the Germain Brut being served onboard?   After reading your posts, I value your opinion and palate.

Thank you

The picture provided by BBWC is indeed the champagne being served, or was in September/October on the Voyager.

It was perfectly drinkable but a little on the sweet side and reminded me much of a Prosecco.  It was also not consistent in it's flavour but I think that can vary according to the temperature it is being served at.  Given the choice my wife and I would much have preferred Montaudon as it is definitely drier and possibly more consistent in flavour.

Thank you all for your information. Looks like NCL holdings has done some down market trading of the bubbly. We will be spending over 3 weeks on the Navigator starting in November and we be using OBC to please us. What is a holiday without champagne of choice? On board the Navigator last Dec. and not too pleased with what was put in our cabin or at the bar. Very helpful information from all of you!

On 11/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

We were on a tour of the Mariner yesterday (October 31st), and the champagne in the ice bucket of a Concierge (D) suite was Monopole Blue Top.

Bait & Switch or misrepresentation?

Gerrie,

Have you tasted Germain Brut?  Your opinion?

On 10/21/2018 at 1:12 AM, BBWC said:

This is the right one.  When we embarked the ship yesterday, we were not even thinking about the champagne until we took one sip of what was handed to us.  We looked at each other and then put down the glasses on the tray with dirty glasses.  Yuck is the only word I can think of.

After speaking to the F&B Director, I mentioned the champagne and learned that the only way to have it changed is to let Regent know your thoughts.  Germain is being given to embarking passengers, is in all of the lounges and is used for the caviar and champagne breakfast.  So, if you do not care for it, please let Regent know.

Everyone gets one bottle of Monopole in their suites (being Titanium, we get a bottle of Veuve Cliquot and Monopole) in our suite but everything else on the ship is Germain.  We will likely take a bottle of champagne from our suite and have them serve it at dinner.

On 10/19/2018 at 4:20 PM, forgap said:

Uh oh!   I sense an insurrection coming on.....man the barricades (in this case the heavy chairs in the observation lounge).....start humming the Marseillaise .....wave the blu, blanc, rouge.....that should get the attention of the Jason’s (Montegue and O’Keefe). 

OH NO! I'm NOT a happy camper! I've had the "Germain" champers before and as Jackie said "YUCK". We've sailed Cunard before and will again soon, and in the past there's been a horrific bubble concoction called "Pol Aker".....great for removing rust  but forget washing socks...it would disolve them. I'm putting Gemain in that boat as well. 

I'm so sad to hear this.....

So I'm guessing if I order a glass of champagne in a lounge, I'm getting the awful stuff??? Not a proseco fan...

Sob.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forgap said:

TC, can you describe the taste?  Is it sweet?

It is quite sweet with a bitter aftertaste (at least that is what my taste buds detected).  Daniela said to try it mixed with something like a Kir Royale or mimosa and also to try it with food.  I did try a mimosa and it was "okay" but I enjoy my two glasses of champagne before dinner (which I drink so that I am not mixing alcohol too much when I have wine at dinner).  Interestingly, I have not found one person who liked it (and we have spoken to quite a few people on this cruise).

I am still at a loss to understand why they switched to Germain. In terms of retail price there is little difference between Germain and at least some of the Montaudon varieties. Judging by all the reactions on here from people who have tried the Germain it seems improbable that it was by popular demand as has been claimed.

I would be very interested to know which premium champagnes are available for purchase on Voyager as my wife has a significant birthday on our cruise in December. Please don't go out of your way to find the answer but if in passing ……..

5 minutes ago, John182 said:

I am still at a loss to understand why they switched to Germain. In terms of retail price there is little difference between Germain and at least some of the Montaudon varieties. Judging by all the reactions on here from people who have tried the Germain it seems improbable that it was by popular demand as has been claimed.

I would be very interested to know which premium champagnes are available for purchase on Voyager as my wife has a significant birthday on our cruise in December. Please don't go out of your way to find the answer but if in passing ……..

I already plan to type or scan a list of available spirits and Champagnes so look for it on my "Mini Blog........"

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I already plan to type or scan a list of available spirits and Champagnes so look for it on my "Mini Blog........"

Thank you so much for that Travelcat2. I look forwards to seeing the list. Really enjoying all of the various blogs including yours. The only problem I have is managing my expectations which are increasing by the day.

It is a very sad day when Daniela says to mix it so it is tolerable!   She is a sommelier so her palate is refined.   But, she is part of the Regent team, so it would be inappropriate for her to come out and trash the champagne to a customer.    I think an email storm  (the champagne campaign) is in order.  They can keep the Germain but there should be a dry bubbly option.   Many cavas and California bubblies  are good and also inexpensive if that is Regent’s priority.   Perhaps someone in Miami determined that customers expected real champagne so they sourced a producer that values quantity over quality.

• Like 1