Live Regatta Panama - 2 Ports Cancelled

ABoatNerd

14 hours ago, sitraveler said:

I was on that cruise.  1 port was cancelled due to civil unrest.   We were never told of "engine issues"

We were told of engine issues when they first cancelled Cartagena. In an announcement they said they were going to pick up parts.  Then backpedealed and called it technical stop.  Then they made excuses off California coast re naval maneuvers.  We were traveling with a friend who has reason to know.  He said all maneuvers are published months ahead and if it was news to Oceania, someone hadn’t read the bulletins. 🤷‍♀️   

Its not like this is a new route. They’ve been doing it for years and know exactly how long it takes to get places.  No excuse to wandering into ports late and  leaving early consistently.  This never happened on our earlier cruises.  And taking so long to get to San Francisco.  Apparently that cold wind we encountered is very common, sweeping down from Alaska.   Actually I was surprised they didn’t blame it on Canada!

As for the illness on-board, I believe it came on-board in Guatemala.  We did an O tour that included lunch.  They served all kinds of fresh pressed juice, sliced fruit and salads.  We and our friends consumed only the hot foods and drinks.  No issues.  After boarding the bus, they handed out clamshells of fresh fruit that was consumed with great enthusiasm by nearly all.  It was very hot and this was very tempting.  Fresh local tropical fruit! AFAIK the four of us were the only abstainers.  This was an O tour.  If they want to eliminate food born illness they should stipulate food to be served on their tours.  People think it’s safe because it’s under the Oceania umbrella.  

Mo

Edited by potterhill

Different ship, different experience.

Currently on Marina. This AM while in Ravenna the captain announced that the port authority for our next port Zadar, Croatia advised us that they will not accept Marina due to strong winds and thus unsafe docking conditions. Alternate plans were made for us to visit Dubrovnik where even with winds it would be safe to dock.. Zadar was an 8 AM arrival, Dubrovnik will be 10 AM and staying till midnight. Thus we are not missing a port - just changing a port due to weather conditions.

Hence every port cancellation should be considered on its own merits.

Blank statements that Oceania cancels ports just to save money are, just like any other blank statement about anything else, not likely to be always true.

That said, Regatta may have different issues as discussed above.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Different ship, different experience.

Currently on Marina. This AM while in Ravenna the captain announced that the port authority for our next port Zadar, Croatia advised us that they will not accept Marina due to strong winds and thus unsafe docking conditions. Alternate plans were made for us to visit Dubrovnik where even with winds it would be safe to dock.. Zadar was an 8 AM arrival, Dubrovnik will be 10 AM and staying till midnight. Thus we are not missing a port - just changing a port due to weather conditions.

Hence every port cancellation should be considered on its own merits.

Blank statements that Oceania cancels ports just to save money are, just like any other blank statement about anything else, not likely to be always true.

That said, Regatta may have different issues as discussed above.

Auto-correct strikes again - blank should read blanket.

Edited by Paulchili

13 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Turned out to be a wise decision by Captain.

It was somewhat overcast but no rain and 69 F. The town was as empty as anyone could ever hope for Dubrovnik to be - no other major cruise ships in port today and the tourist season is just about over.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, ABoatNerd said:

Hello Oceania folks.

Currently on the Regatta panama canal cruise left San Fran Oct 6.

Oceania cancelled 2 port stops, shortened a 3rd and swapped out Cabo for San Diego. Apparently due to tropical storm sergeo a week a go that passed over the Baja.

We sailed past the Baja with no evidence of the storm,

The  ship has not been sailing at maximum speed at any time.  Not satisfied that time could have not been made up to have recovered 1 port.

Suffice it to say that the free "goodwill" 1 hr freeze booze offered by Oceania does not offset the significant reduction in the itinerary.

Also, on the voyage before this one, Juneau was missed.  

Many guests are displeased and asking questions.

When Ray the CD spoke about it in the Regatta lounge 2x there were many Boos from the guests.

Have heard guests on their phones cancelling future Oceania trips and seen numerous people in the computer room booking Viking cruises on line.

We are not pleased at all at the itinerary changes.

Otherwise - service is excellent but the Terrace cafe is not of past quality and many guests are grumbling about the new menus in the GDR.  The specialties seem constant.

Safe sailing.

Hope your disappointment has now been attended to satisfactorily by Oceania.

We were a bit irked to read on this thread that Oceania insisted its customers who wish to see the captain about the missing docks issue, to sign an agreement you will not make further complaints. It seems to us like a kind of forcing you to do something under duress, which does not seem fair. Why should you sign something like that just because you needed to see the Captain for a good reason?  Some would argue that is  kind of "bullying" customers.

If the Oceania management has not attended to the concerns of the many passengers on this issue,  we just wondered if one option passengers could take is to request for your gratuities to be taken out of the bill. We know some would argue it is not fair, etc, but if passengers are treated in the manner which makes you helpless, perhaps that "shock" of a substantial group of disgruntled passengers with-holding their gratuities may send home the message that customers' views should be taken into account seriously.

We have looked into some future Oceania cruises but when we saw it was the Regatta, I told my partner to avoid it. These days, with Oceania, we would only prefer to go on the relatively newer "O" ships.  Some may disagree but their "R" ships may have gone past their prime. Our next cruise is on Viking, we still would cruise with Oceania, but it would most likely be on their "O" ships. Perhaps, it's time Oceania look into adding new ships into their fleet and replace all or at least some of the "R" ships.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, ABoatNerd said:

Hello Oceania folks.

Currently on the Regatta panama canal cruise left San Fran Oct 6.

Oceania cancelled 2 port stops, shortened a 3rd and swapped out Cabo for San Diego. Apparently due to tropical storm sergeo a week a go that passed over the Baja.

We sailed past the Baja with no evidence of the storm,

The  ship has not been sailing at maximum speed at any time.  Not satisfied that time could have not been made up to have recovered 1 port.

Suffice it to say that the free "goodwill" 1 hr freeze booze offered by Oceania does not offset the significant reduction in the itinerary.

Also, on the voyage before this one, Juneau was missed.  

Many guests are displeased and asking questions.

When Ray the CD spoke about it in the Regatta lounge 2x there were many Boos from the guests.

Have heard guests on their phones cancelling future Oceania trips and seen numerous people in the computer room booking Viking cruises on line.

We are not pleased at all at the itinerary changes.

Otherwise - service is excellent but the Terrace cafe is not of past quality and many guests are grumbling about the new menus in the GDR.  The specialties seem constant.

Safe sailing.

Hope your disappointment has now been attended to satisfactorily by Oceania.

We were a bit irked to read on this thread that Oceania insisted its customers who wish to see the captain about the missing docks issue, to sign an agreement you will not make further complaints. It seems to us like a kind of forcing you to do something under duress, which does not seem fair. Why should you sign something like that just because you needed to see the Captain for a good reason?  Some would argue that is  kind of "bullying" customers.

If the Oceania management has not attended to the concerns of the many passengers on this issue,  we just wondered if one option passengers could take is to request for your gratuities to be taken out of the bill. We know some would argue it is not fair, etc, but if passengers are treated in the manner which makes you helpless, perhaps that "shock" of a substantial group of disgruntled passengers with-holding their gratuities may send home the message that customers' views should be taken into account seriously.

We have looked into some future Oceania cruises but when we saw it was the Regatta, I told my partner to avoid it. These days, with Oceania, we would only prefer to go on the relatively newer "O" ships.  Some may disagree but their "R" ships may have gone past their prime. Our next cruise is on Viking, we still would cruise with Oceania, but it would most likely be on their "O" ships. Perhaps, it's time Oceania look into adding new ships into their fleet and replace all or at least some of the "R" ships.

Thank you Gnoelj.

I will post later today in a more detailed way, but have to take a pet under the weather to the vet right now.

I was one of many passengers who were taken to the GM's office and made to sign a letter stating that one would not upset the passengers and failure would mean "consequences".  Spoke with numerous guests who were threatened, some of which were also in 2 large parties who spoke with the captain.

At Colon an Oceania VIP came aboard and seemed to scare the staff. Saw this man walking the ship and going in and out of the kitchen. This would have happened after many complaints were sent to Oceania HQ via the web page Guest Services contact us.

Last day there were multiple passengers sitting in groups on the chaises around the pool, all filling out the questionnaires and showing everyone the damning reviews.

If you asked a guest, they just exploded with viral dislike of the missed ports and poor Oceania experience.

Oceania has done nothing.

But their intimidation and threats to guests tells their unease with the port cancellation situation.  "The bigger the reaction, the closer to the truth".

I have already advised my 2 TA's to avoid booking guests on Regatta. There is something very off about that ship.

More later

1 hour ago, Gnoelj said:

If the Oceania management has not attended to the concerns of the many passengers on this issue,  we just wondered if one option passengers could take is to request for your gratuities to be taken out of the bill.

Yes that would be the best plan of action 

make the crew more unhappy  than they already are 

Having to deal with a bunch whining, nasty pax   & not get any tips for all the hard work they do trying to make them happy  through no fault of the crew

Oh but  wait  they would not know  you are cancelling the gratuities  because you would wait until the last day to do it

yup good plan

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

I was one of many passengers who were taken to the GM's office and made to sign a letter stating that one would not upset the passengers and failure would mean "consequences".  Spoke with numerous guests who were threatened, some of which were also in 2 large parties who spoke with the captain.

How many pax  were in this group that were made to sign the letter?

Were all the pax  given letters ?

4 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Thank you Gnoelj.

I will post later today in a more detailed way, but have to take a pet under the weather to the vet right now.

At Colon an Oceania VIP came aboard and seemed to scare the staff. Saw this man walking the ship and going in and out of the kitchen. This would have happened after many complaints were sent to Oceania HQ via the web page Guest Services contact us.

Last day there were multiple passengers sitting in groups on the chaises around the pool, all filling out the questionnaires and showing everyone the damning reviews.

If you asked a guest, they just exploded with viral dislike of the missed ports and poor Oceania experience.

But their intimidation and threats to guests tells their unease with the port cancellation situation.  "The bigger the reaction, the closer to the truth".

I have already advised my 2 TA's to avoid booking guests on Regatta. There is something very off about that ship.

More later

Sounds to me you didn't follow through with what they had you sign. What if you had refused to sign?  Seems to me that would have been the thing for you to do on principle. 

44 minutes ago, ORV said:

Sounds to me you didn't follow through with what they had you sign. What if you had refused to sign?  Seems to me that would have been the thing for you to do on principle. 

Yes wondering what the consequences  would be ??

Locked in your cabin with bread & water rations??

Dropped of at the next port to get home at your own expense ??

20 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Thank you Gnoelj.

More later

We could not help thinking of passengers who wish to see the captain being pressured to sign a letter that you will not make further complaints. Apart from discussing with other "disgruntled" passengers about having a "group action" of withdrawing your gratuities (yes, it could be quite controversial, but at least it is an option of last resort ), if you  have to sign that letter, perhaps you could specifically add and write by the side of your signature that you signed it "under duress ". We are not law experts so cannot be depended on,  but we believe in US Law and British Law any contract/agreement signed under duress would make that  invalid. You might like to check that up.

It's curious. From our experience with Oceania, we found most of the junior staff to be very helpful , pleasant and friendly but many in senior management including the captain were a bit "aloof" towards passengers  (there was one exception when the French manager was good).  Maybe if you are one of those who have sailed on it maybe 20 times or more, you might be treated differently, . Perhaps, senior management could  learn  from their juniors about good customer service , rather than the other way around !!! Gulp, hope we haven't said anything too controversial !

Edited by Gnoelj

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

which is precisely why I severely doubt that any such agreement was ever requested in the first place,

Beware Cruise ship hearsay.

Totally agree. It's kind of like the old party game Gossip. The way it starts isn't at all the way it ends. 

Considering the OP's history from the Celebrity board I take the whole thing with a grain of sand. 

I can see  why  the vigilantes  were ask to sign an cease & desist  letter

We have been on cruises  where ports have been missed  the atmosphere created by the few  affect the many  that  go with the flow

Good thing  I was not in charge  as those  vigilantes  would have been put off  at the 1st port of call 🤣

JMO

Greetings all.

Finally unpacked.

This voyage was a significant disappointment to me, my spouse and members of our group. To summarize:

I, and others from the ship, have previously posted information in this thread, but below is a summary of the key items that contributed to this unsatisfactory cruise:

1) Cancelled ports before we left the dock in San Fran. Minimal information on the reasons why quickly dying Sergo had such an impact on our itinerary - other than the Captain saying there is a tropical storm. San Diego was swapped for Cabo. Missed Nicaragua and El Salvador. Supposed to be in Puntarenas at 11 but arrived at 3. Were told tides were a problem there. We actually arrived 1.5 hrs before the lowest tide. We had to make that port because staff were being flown to Miami. They created 2 tours there both of which had the last 1 hour in total darkness.

2) No attempt to reinstate some ports given that Sergo moved across the Baja very quickly - many on the ship monitored NOAA so we were very much aware of the situation. Mgmt never explained that it was impossible to make up ports because of a, b, c reasons. Total silence.

3) Number 2) then contributed to 3). On the pacific side, why was the ship going 15.3 knots for long periods of time? The ship "should be" capable of a higher speed, why was it not engaged to reinstate a port?

4) On the Atlantic side, suddenly the ship was doing 20.9 knots. Why was this speed not available on the Pacific side? ie 2) and 3) above

5) Water, Toilet, Power Disruptions - Lights were flashing from time to time, power was out 1 nite at 2am, repeated toilet malfunction throughout the ship. Water was luke warm most of the time. No cold water. 

6) Treatment of Guests. Information has been previously posted earlier on this. Guest relations was swamped with guests asking for information, return of port fees, more information on why the port cancellations, the unsatisfactory and unsafe tour buses in Acapulco, the poor tour in Puntarenas etc.  Guests met with management, were forced to sign paperwork (myself included), groups met with the Captain. The defensiveness of the Regatta management was very overt. For 3 nites, Ray the CD, was booed in the Regatta show room. 

7) Decline of food quality. Post the new menu in August, the food size, quality, appearance, variety in the GDR and the Terrace had declined since last trip. All meat was tougher. Something was off, there was so little taste to anything even when labeled as Cajun.  Quality examples - bean salad in the GDR was 3 types of canned beans with 2 sliced onion rings, no dressing no taste. A salad had the white/pale yellow insides of an iceberg lettuce with 3 pieces of blue cheese and 2 walnuts, that is it.  There was some repeats given the voyage was 18 days. Thinking about Oceania's marketing "finest cuisine at sea" - did not end my trip with that impression.

On the positive side:

6) Staff/Crew - simply outstanding in every regard. Their smiles, salutations, work ethic, friendliness and engagement a 10/10

7) Other - excellent live music aboard, excellent soundtracks and volume level, the breads were devine, port lectures good. 

The ship maintenance was fine, ship kept very clean and excellent hand wipes in the lavatories. 

Bottom line, it is a trust issue.  I and others, ended up not trusting Oceania's explanation of why our itinerary was adjusted to a significant degree. Everyone was aware of dying tropical storm Sergo. Perhaps a more customer friendly and detailed explanation of the impacts of the storm, combined with ship speed etc might have enabled guests to understand and accept the significant changes. 

As well, there were guests who were well aware of Regatta's past mechanical history in the past year, some posts earlier in this thread. This combined with the BTB guests who provided significant information related to the missed Juneau port, the slow speed on the pacific side,  all combined to create more suspicion and doubt.

Oceania management's aggressive and dismissive response to guests questions sealed the certainty of doubt.

Happy and safe sailing to all!

• Like 1

It may not have been a deliberate attempt to deceive, but there is certainly an air of wild eyed speculation and guesswork afoot.

How did the idea surface, for example that alternative ports SHOULD or MUST be selected?

Wishful thinking AT BEST.

It is November and gloomy, good time for folks to cruise!

Updating this file.

Numerous actions are being taken against the 3 officers who forced meetings and forced signatures. I am one of them. I know of others who are doing the same because we are in contact, but there were others who had the same experience who may or may not be involved, I do not know of their status.

There are various TA's who have escalated their clients concerns to their regional and now Oceania HQ representatives. It will go beyond Oceania shortly.

The letters were not issued to the passengers, just those who were attacked by Regatta management. Those I know who signed were compliant, but their spouses and members of their group were most verbal!

Regarding the ports, it my and others expectation and understanding that Oceania is in the business first of making money and providing excellence in customer service.  If customer service is a priority for Oceania, then logically Oceania would strive to find a way to acquire substitute ports based on a combination of variables; time, speed of ship, availability of docking, due date at the canal etc. There are many cruise friendly cruise ports on the Pacific side to choose from. 

What I and others found most intriguing is that the Regatta was sailing slowly along the Pacific side but much faster on the Atlantic side after the overnight stop in Colon. This generated 2 fundamental questions; why the difference in speed and why could the greater speed not been deployed on the Pacific side to reinstate ports?

There were many, many retired US Navy folks on the ship and these questions were being discussed in every venue (especially happy hour). Some had their on shore acquaintances monitoring AIS, NOAA, doing calculations and reporting back. Not favorable to Oceania.

Oceania behaved in an aggressive manner towards guests.  This means they had something to hide.

Have a great day.

If your lawyer doesn’t know enough to tell you to put a lid on it during ongoing litigation then he probably doesn’t have a chance against NCL’S lawyers. 

Meanwhile I think I’ll go get on Insignia and enjoy myself. Good luck. 

• Like 1

I find it  strange that management on the ship would go after the passengers for no reason

as you reported earlier  pax were being aggressive  to staff   so who was aggressive to whom?? 

As mentioned before cruise ships cannot just pull into ports at will...it is not like driving   & you hit a storm you can pull off the road at the nearest town or layby 

anyone read their cruise contract ??