"View First Unread" in a Thread

• Administrators
18 hours ago, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Hover over the blue dot next to the thread topic. If you've posted in that thread then there will be a star instead of a dot.

The blue dot is your friend, as SciFiGuy1960 said.  Takes you to the first unread post in a topic.

From other posts in this thread, what you are saying is you are interested in reading the LAST post --  so try this.   Hover over the subject line on the forum level -- where you see the blue dot -- just a bit longer than normal.  This will bring up a popup window that will display the first post...and the last post.   At this point you can decide whether or not you'd like to actually read the entire topic.

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 7.05.18 AM.png

I'd like to thank those members who have taken the time to read our "help" topics, poke around, learn and then share their knowledge on these help topics.  We've got our eye out and we'll be reaching out to some of you.

Laura

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

So far I'm liking the Activity Stream feature.  I follow four cruise lines and it was easy to see those four and only those four in my newly created Activity Stream.  The problem is Activity Stream lists individual posts.  I'd prefer a way to have it list message threads instead.

The Unread Content doesn't honor my Activity Stream.  Instead it shows me unread content across all the forums -- again as individual posts.  My preference would be to see unread content on the four cruise lines defined in my Activity Stream, and to see lists of the threads...not individual posts.

if you just want your unread content you would select Activity:  My Activity Streams:  Content I follow:  and then choose options from the drill down menus - in this case you would want read status: unread 

If you look to the right of the drill down menus you can save this as a custom stream so you dont have to go through those steps anymore

Thank for the tip.  I don't think that'll work for me, it's not the way I typically use a forum.  

For example, say I'm viewing the Norwegian forum.  I would typically scan down the list of threads and command-click on the threads I want to read.  The command-click opens each thread in a new browser tab.  Then I go from tab to tab, reading the individual posts.  

I've been able to get My Activity Stream to show the 4 forums I want to see, but it's showing me individual posts instead of message threads.  It seems like the Content Type filter should let me select message threads instead of individual messages.  Am I missing an option to view threads instead of posts?

4 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I've been able to get My Activity Stream to show the 4 forums I want to see, but it's showing me individual posts instead of message threads.  It seems like the Content Type filter should let me select message threads instead of individual messages.  Am I missing an option to view threads instead of posts?

In your activity stream, on the right hand side is a click box to condense or expand the view.  Try condensed and see if that works for you.

image.thumb.png.20e8e2de76bc3205ab749362d8f1b359.png

2 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Thanks, but condense or expand is still showing individual postings.  I'm looking for a solution to show message threads instead.

BTW, condense, to me, is much better than the expanded view.  

I agree.  I wish I could set condensed to the default.  

I will say, I've posted multiple times in this thread but I only see the thread listed once.  Can you do a screen shot of what you're seeing?

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Ah,

Try changing 'Show me' to 'Items only'

image.thumb.png.653468074fcd37b9cdfc19dd0fedc89a.png

Let us know if that works.

Ha!  I went to get a screen shot...and my Activity Stream is now showing threads.  I had changed it to "Items only" the last time I was here and didn't realize it had fixed the problem.  

Why "Items only"?  Seems like it should be labeled "Threads only."

Now...if I could only figure out how to search for posts by user.  Not my posts, but another user's posts.  I can't get that to work yet.

52 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Now...if I could only figure out how to search for posts by user.  Not my posts, but another user's posts.  I can't get that to work yet.

That's another activity stream. Under Ownership select "Content by specific members" and enter the username of the person you want to search. 

Alternatively, click on a person's name in a post and at the bottom are their recent posts ( I think this will improve as the indexing catches up). 

12 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Anyone found a way to search for posts by an individual user name?  

My searches for posts by a user either turn up nothing or thousands of posts by various users.

Hover over the user's avatar. Bottom right of the popup is Find Content. Click on that.

12 hours ago, LauraS said:

From other posts in this thread, what you are saying is you are interested in reading the LAST post --  so try this.   Hover over the subject line on the forum level -- where you see the blue dot -- just a bit longer than normal.  This will bring up a popup window that will display the first post...and the last post.   At this point you can decide whether or not you'd like to actually read the entire topic.

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 7.05.18 AM.png

I cannot get the hover over title to popup. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 pc. Any suggestions?

On 10/16/2018 at 5:58 PM, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Hover over the blue dot next to the thread topic. If you've posted in that thread then there will be a star instead of a dot.

I can't see the blue dots on this page: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/?type=forums_topic&change_section=1

I can see them elsewhere, but that would be a really useful place to have blue dots.

11 hours ago, Underwatr said:

That's another activity stream. Under Ownership select "Content by specific members" and enter the username of the person you want to search. 

Alternatively, click on a person's name in a post and at the bottom are their recent posts ( I think this will improve as the indexing catches up). 

Thanks!  

The "Content by specific members" seems to work though it's not showing complete results.  I suspect the incomplete results may be due to the "processing" message in the blue banner at the top of most pages.

11 hours ago, broberts said:

Hover over the user's avatar. Bottom right of the popup is Find Content. Click on that.

Thanks!  This seems to work well, though I would prefer to find content by other users via the Activity Stream.  The problem now is incomplete results, possibly due to the "processing" not complete listed in the blue banner at the top of most pages.

Edited by Paul from Maryland

7 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Thanks!  This seems to work well, though I would prefer to find content by other users via the Activity Stream.  The problem now is incomplete results, possibly due to the "processing" not complete listed in the blue banner at the top of most pages.

You can create a custom stream to list posts by one or more users. Activity | My Activity Streams | Create New Stream. Select Content by specific members in the Ownership section. An edit will appear, type the username or first few letter and pick from a popup list (takes a few seconds to pop).

9 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I can't see the blue dots on this page: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/?type=forums_topic&change_section=1

I can see them elsewhere, but that would be a really useful place to have blue dots.

I made the same mistake in thinking that I needed to go to Managed Content to see all my threads. It's actually in Activity Stream, and requires setting up in a way particular to you. If you send an email to lighthousemom at gmx dot com, I will send you detailed, step-by-step instructions for how to do this.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:12 PM, CC Help Jenn said:

if you just want your unread content you would select Activity:  My Activity Streams:  Content I follow:  and then choose options from the drill down menus - in this case you would want read status: unread 

If you look to the right of the drill down menus you can save this as a custom stream so you dont have to go through those steps anymore

Thanks!  I did this and made a shortcut to it on my mobile.  Super slick 🙂

3 hours ago, broberts said:

You can create a custom stream to list posts by one or more users. Activity | My Activity Streams | Create New Stream. Select Content by specific members in the Ownership section. An edit will appear, type the username or first few letter and pick from a popup list (takes a few seconds to pop).

I've done so, but something isn't working right.  

I have this particular Activity Stream set to show content posted by a specific user in the last 30 days.  The results show one posting.  When I find this user's activity by hovering my cursor over their avatar and choosing "Find content" the results are nine postings.  

And really, both are wrong.  This particular user posts anywhere from a few to a dozen posts per day.  I'll guess that a 30 day search should find around 50 or more postings.  

3 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I've done so, but something isn't working right.  

I have this particular Activity Stream set to show content posted by a specific user in the last 30 days.  The results show one posting.  When I find this user's activity by hovering my cursor over their avatar and choosing "Find content" the results are nine postings.  

And really, both are wrong.  This particular user posts anywhere from a few to a dozen posts per day.  I'll guess that a 30 day search should find around 50 or more postings.  

Just a reminder that search indexes are still being built, so that will effect the activity streams

On 10/16/2018 at 3:10 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

@SciFiGuy1960 had the right answer.  The blue dot (or star if you've participated) to the left of the thread name will jump you to the first unread (note: it never took you to the last post, at least that I remember, but the first post you haven't read).

ETA:  I do not see a choice once you are IN a thread to jump to the first unread, but only on the thread listing itself.  Maybe that's something TPTB can turn on.

Thank you, thank you, that was driving me crazy.  Some threads are 39 pages long and I was not going to scroll through them.