Too white and glaring!!

I know it's a problem for me because I have cataracts, but I'm finding it difficult to read for more than a few minutes on the boards because the background is stark white and very uncomfortable. My eyes feel strained after just a few minutes on the site.

If I recall correctly, we had the same problem when the previous update was done, and the techies finally adjusted the background color to make it less glaring. It'd be very nice if that could be done for this update too.

Totally agree the display is not visual friendly at all - in the UK all public information websites have to meet these standards, I do not think this site does and whilst Cruise Critic is not a public information website, it would have been nice if, like many sites in the UK they had aimed for this good practice.

https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

Totally agree the display is not visual friendly at all - in the UK all public information websites have to meet these standards, I do not think this site does and whilst Cruise Critic is not a public information website, it would have been nice if, like many sites in the UK they had aimed for this good practice.

https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/

You mean those guidelines that are specified on a page with a bright white background?  ;-)

This is the same comment that was made during the last upgrade.  We (the poster) have the ability to change the brightness of our screen.  Just turn down the brightness a bit and it will be fine - this isn't something that I believe CC can control.

P.S.  Generally, white backgrounds are more difficult after cataract surgery rather than before.

38 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

This is the same comment that was made during the last upgrade.  We (the poster) have the ability to change the brightness of our screen.  Just turn down the brightness a bit and it will be fine - this isn't something that I believe CC can control.

P.S.  Generally, white backgrounds are more difficult after cataract surgery rather than before.

Yes, we had this conversation last year. At least it is not snow blindness inducing white this time.

It is something CC can control. Whenever a website is built, all colours get defined by the programmers, including the background, fonts, contrasting boxes etc.  They then should be signed off, bearing in mind previous feedback.

It requires someone to tell the programmers to adjust the background colour to something reasonable for the users.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Yes, we had this conversation last year. At least it is not snow blindness inducing white this time.

It is something CC can control. Whenever a website is built, all colours get defined by the programmers, including the background, fonts, contrasting boxes etc.  They then should be signed off, bearing in mind previous feedback.

It requires someone to tell the programmers to adjust the background colour to something reasonable for the users.

Just wondering what would be satisfactory for most users.  I do not find the white bad at all and would be unhappy if the background changed.  Even if CC could change it, there would likely be complaints.  Last year I just dimmed the brightness a tiny bit and it was fine.  The only issue I have with the upgrades is the triple spacing between paragraphs.  

In any case, this is likely something that people will disagree on because our eyes all detect color, etc. differently.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

I didnt see this thread, but started another one on this today! still think it's way too bright, white, and not enough color to make it interesting. Large fields of white are making me squint right now.  So unfortunate for this wonderful site.

I also had trouble but I just change the zoom on my browser from 100 to 110% and now the print is darker so the contrast is better and I can see the print much more easily.

I don't know how to change brightness but changing the zoom gave my eyes a rest.

Edited by riffatsea
spelling